Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger EP 4 - "Fire! The Gaburevolver of Courage"

Thank you for the Memories...
A pretty good episode this week, but not the best I would say.

I feel kinda disappointed how fast Daigo wins over Ian, but maybe that's just the "Inoue-ish" rubbing off me from watching Jetman last week. I mean it is kinda in the spirit of the current arc being all about 'team spirit', so I guess it works out. Plus, we don't get any angst-y scenes (never a fan of those), and its not like Sanjo to write those kinda scenes.

I have to agree with other people though that I wish this 'team building' arc was stretched out a bit longer, just to see the characters flesh out a bit more, but hopefully (and judging by next week's episode, looks like a Ian and Shouji ep) Sanjo uses the next 44 episodes to do that.

Vamola! I am thinking of making that a catchphrase I say everywhere I go. It's just so catchy. :169:

--For such a playa, Ian's girl of the day does not look happy to be there. She's just got kind of a zombie facing going on until they leave. :shrug: ...Oh, right, I got an episode to pay attention to!
--Well, crap. Don't you just hate it when your past haunts you at the most inconvenient time like that? :redface2:
--I just noticed that the dino symbol patch, the one on the chest of their Ranger suits, is not flush with the suit. It sticks out in a bold, chiseled kind of way. And was it the lighting in that set, or is the mouth piece on the helmet sunken in? :eyebrow:
--Ah, I see where this is going. The monster of the week is a thief, Ian stole something in the last episode, so... It's a thief-off! Where is Lupin III when you need him? :hmm:
--Well of course a bullet you stole will back fire. The gods of karma are always watching! :anime: It's just like those old sayings from video games. Winners don't use drugs, Press Start, and... I dunno, something about piracy or theft. I stopped paying attention after pressing start.
--First his past haunts him, then King reveals his identity against his will, and finally gets shot down by a girl when he is feeling gloomy. Talk about a bad day. :p Also, I don't like his jacket for some reason. That collar is cartoonishly huge!
--I love King. Always extending a caring hand to his team mates, even when they are trying to push him out of the way. I wish I could have had guys like him to look up to when I was younger. :D
--:O_O: Once again, I just now noticed something! When they transform, their guns call out the names of their Voltasaur partners. Another ZyuRanger/MMPR call back?
--...Why am I not impressed by the look of their combined weapon? It's more of a sword than your usual canon, and it kind of reminds me of a certain sword from Digimon Xros Wars. Maybe it just needs time to grow on me... :(
--So Ian prefers the company of women. Honestly, I can relate. :coolshades:
--Once again, I find myself completely unimpressed by their Snap-Together Combination, including the finishing attack. Too drawn out, too much CGI, not enough physical movement... Maybe when I see what all 5 of their Voltasaurs combined looks like, I might come around. Either way, I am not feeling the love, and they are not making me feel tempted to buy the toys. :170:
--Looks like Ian's friend's treasure will play a role in the future?

So that's the introduction of all five. Nobuharu, the strong man; Amy, the skillful fighter; Souji the swordsman; Ian the gunman; and Daigo, the king who unites them all! Also, I am really surprised that this episode didn't become about "Who's the greater thief". I thought it was headed that way, but I was surprisingly, yet pleasantly mistaken.

Over all, I gotta say that I really am not liking Ian right now. He's a pompous jerk, a playboy who can get any girl he wants, and a perfect shot. I'm glad he has faults to work with, otherwise he could turn into a Gary Stu way too fast. And I know the ending of this episode was trying to make him seem like not such a bad guy, but I'm not convinced yet. I still think he has some character growth to go through...

Speaking of which, I can't wait for next episode. It looks great. Just because King may have united them all doesn't mean they have mastered the group dynamic yet. And maybe the upcoming episode will try to make Kyoryuzin more appealing to me. :)

Lurker
As for Ian... I feel like the ep didn't do a great job at getting me to care for him honestly. We are lead to believe that he's haunted by this sad past. I mean, at the start of the ep, he even freaks out and is unable to shoot his gun. But after one little talk with King, he immediately gets over it all and becomes great friends with the team. It's not bad, but feels very rushed, making Ian hard to find believable (I think making this a 2-parter would've worked). The one thing I would like to see more of is his relation to Aigaron, which sadly only showed up in the last few seconds of the ep. Overall, I think Ian has potential, but it's yet to be seen. Hope to see it soon.

You could say that for episodes 2 and 3. That's been my only beef with Kyoryuger so far, that King helps them through their problems way too quickly (and Amy got lumped with Blue, so yay for equal rights.). I like the show, but I think we should just be getting to Souji right now. I'll credit Toei: Might seem weird to not have the team together, but not truly for several episodes.

Also: where did you see the episode? My source hasn't posted them. :disappoin

The new Tendou Souji
--...Why am I not impressed by the look of their combined weapon? It's more of a sword than your usual canon, and it kind of reminds me of a certain sword from Digimon Xros Wars. Maybe it just needs time to grow on me...

I was kinda hoping their sword attack would be something ala Gaoranger but, hahaha nope! We got something really lame instead.

--Once again, I find myself completely unimpressed by their Snap-Together Combination, including the finishing attack. Too drawn out, too much CGI, not enough physical movement... Maybe when I see what all 5 of their Voltasaurs combined looks like, I might come around. Either way, I am not feeling the love, and they are not making me feel tempted to buy the toys.

I still hate the combination sequence but, I thought the fight in this episode was rather cool. And, not enough "physical movement"? Kyoryujin Western was jumping all over the place during that fight.

Red Falcon
I was kinda hoping their sword attack would be something ala Gaoranger but, hahaha nope! We got something really lame instead.

I am pretty sure that won't be the only way Red is gonna use the KentrosSpiker ...Remember, Debos Deronbos was dodging all of their attacks (apart from Blue and Pink, who managed to get a hit with their weapons) so ramming that large ass sword straight at that dude sounds logical and was the right call (I would have wanted him to finish off the dude the same way ShinkenRed finished off the first motw)

I still hate the combination sequence but, I thought the fight in this episode was rather cool. And, not enough "physical movement"? Kyoryujin Western was jumping all over the place during that fight.

Personally I don't think the sequence is as bad as people make it out to be. Yes it is a bit long but it looks cool. I do prefer previous forms for Kyoryuzin though and I hate the music used for Western and how it cuts off the chant.

Strange, I thought the ending was setting up Ian's friend Shiro as being Aigoron, but that is not the case, I guess. Wonder how that jewel will play out in the future.

I usually suspect stunt double whenever I can only see the top or back of their hair.

I feel like there is something off about this show. It's good, I like it but it's something about it. Sometimes it's the dialogue or the way Daigo quickly makes everyone just call him King. But it's only 4 episodes in.

Last edited: