A simple passerby...
So, this mess finally ended, in a messier way than I thought possible. You know, I bet Toei went "Let's put together Tsukuyomi's Rider suit", and not even have her pull bullshit stunt action cause "we know we can't justify that". But seriously, the simply did that because they're trying to see if they can make people buy her Ridewatch as a last minute cash grab attempt. Makes you think, so, was she really necessary? That (literal) backstab came from a mile away (which by the way, that sword power she has probably is never gonna explained, nor how becoming a Rider somehow made her showcase Time-Stop power on the largest scale possible, which she previously has never done.)

Someone mind explaining, without doing mental gymnastics, how being a Rider amplifies one's Time-Stop powers? Actually, don't. I don't want to get into this nonsense of how being a Rider is not some kind of "special classification" of it's own that being a Rider means something more than just being a hero. As if "Kamen Rider" is a higher class of heroes that allows you to do asspulls moves.

I'm also willing to bet Bandai will probably want to sell that Oma Zi-O belt at some point. Is it just me, or was it just out of place for them to use the whole "Sougo uses his powers to reset time, so that Huere and Ora can be our friends in High School too!"? That's just a whole stretch from when he dreamt up Kikai. And, we never get the face reveal for older Sougo, because of course, film language clichés dictates evil guy must remain hidden in the shadows where lighting is purposely done so we never see his face, but we everything else around him is damned bright.

This series managed to like mess everything up much worse for an anniversary show than Decade did with it's own series. The only reason I kept coming back to it was because I wanted to see the older actors return to their roles again, and the only reason I kept sticking with it was because I thought they were gonna finally pull something that could have justified all of this. But like, nope. Swartz is really bad at his job. This guy's entire plan was reliant on him lucking out so many times for things to go his way, he didn't even have back-up plans for them. Are we really supposed to believe this, at best, henchmen style character is supposed to be the main villain? God, my head hurts. At best, this entire series is only good for being eye-candy for anyone's favorite actor returning, but it's also a disrespectful slap in the face of previous shows ending (Blade is a big example).

Geiz's death was like... well, you spent an entire series telling the guy he'll become Oma Zi-O and become bad, and then in your dying moment, you spout some speech about being friends with him, then tells him to become the very thing you swore to prevent. Overall, the entire series was inconsequential. It tried to pull a Ryuki with that hard reset, but at least with Ryuki, you could be invested in the characters because they were interesting and you'd want nothing but the best for them after awhile. With Zi-O it's all just so unearned, and comes off as more of an poor imitation, and a self-congratulating pat on the back. This is just one of those series I knew I should have dropped, like I did with Fourze, Wizard, and Ghost. But looking back, I'm now convinced this is probably the worse Kamen Rider show I've ever seen, from design, to plot, to disrespecting legacies, to casting choices. About the only thing I could respect is the sound design department from time to time, and the editing department when they finally edited the episodes to emulate some of the styles previous Rider shows had. Oh, and some of the Another Riders had cool designs, I'll give it that, but that's really about it.

It just feels like whoever was behind this project had a bunch of Rider action figures to play with and went "oh and now all the Riders come flying out of time portals - wait, this is totally a scene we need to film!"

Sougo's uncle fixing the Ridewatches "because there is no watch he can't fix" is completely the dumbest reasoning I've ever seen. Are we to believe, this gadget that houses Rider powers from across space and time and the multiverse in general, can be fixed with normal watch parts? And by a normal human who probably can't comprehend how such a device functions or was even made to begin with? That whole moment between him and Sougo is just forced as hell, and so is the last meal scene.

Zi-O's done it. It actually broke time and all logic with it just to arrive at it's own conclusion: basically, this series only existed to Tsukasa and Kaito can watch the worlds end and take a probably messed up picture of it. Otherwise, we had no reason to be watching this entire show.

Here's to hoping Zero-One actually has something to offer, because I can't go another year with a bad Rider show. This entire franchise was there for me in times of great need, and it's the first hero show I ever saw as a child. When I first had to drop Fourze, I felt like I was betraying Rider as a whole, but now it's more like the staff behind all these badly made shows have already done that to me first. In any case, leave your thoughts down below about what you thought of the ending and the entire show in general. Personally, I feel like it didn't even need to be made.

D

Dr Kain

So I'm taking by your Wall to the North text that it was not the ending the Heisei era deserved, huh?

You do realize that I was going to make a series discussion thread, right? I've been making the episode discussion threads.

Unless you want to be in charge of that, in which case, you very well could.

for me who like's to concentrate on in series continuity the only i can think about that also annoy's me is the whole thing with the worlds and how it now look's like that we started last week with an explanation that the rider's only live in one continuity because ever since 2009 they've slowly been combining but now it look's like that they've all separated into there own little worlds again. so does that mean there's only one rider for each world and with time now rewritten do all the crossover taisen movie's don't count?

A simple passerby...
@Dr. Kain - Yup, not in the least bit. We began with a good bang with Kuuga, and ended Heisei with all of it's flaws embodied by Zi-O

@Samurai Echidna - You usually wait until the subs are out. I wanted to get my thoughts out when they are still fresh. And no, I don't want to be in charge of anything. This is just an overview thread I wanted to make to express my feelings about and anyone else who wanted to say what they think right off the bat.

@bakura23 - It's kinda weird right, since this whole "do they take place in the same universe or not?" thing has been going on since Kuuga and Agito, which was intended for that. Then, all the staff members decided they didn't want to demean Godai's journey, so they dropped that concept real fast. I think Toei's problem is actually the same as Marvel's when it comes to their MCU as well: too many writers in the pot, throwing in ideas that don't fit with each other nicely, and that's all because they couldn't get a proper plan going to make it all finally make sense at the end, despite the fact that they had a variety of comics to pull from, which Toei doesn't. It's the mark of a lazy writer to simply go "oh screw it, it's a different, alternate universe that has it's own continuity and logic" because that's the easiest way to go about solving a situation like this when you realize you already filmed an entire show and had to come up with a proper explanation.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Haven't seen the final episode, but for everything else? Zi-O was redemption, but not in the way we expected. Ryuga was added to the continuity, Faiz got to live, Blade got a proper ending, Hibiki got a better epilogue, Kabuto had a story that wasn't slow paced, Den-O proved it didn't need a human host to be funny, Ghost could be useful while alive, Diend was actually tolerable, OOO's influence on Aqua had a payoff, the G-3 suits were still being developed on long after the events of Agito, and all issues with the multiverse continuity got explained. Kuuga and W could have had representation episodes and they really needed to ditch the future rider nonsense, but other than that? It was a blast from start to finish. We deserved the two big recent stains to be cleaned out, instead what we needed was the minor older stains to be finished. Zi-O truly was a dark knight. Time to rank this with the rest of the franchise:

Drive > Skyrider > OOO > Black RX > Original > Wizard > Decade > Zi-O > Stronger > Fourze > Black > Amazon > Kiva > Super-1 > Agito > J > ZO > Ghost > ZX > V3 > Kuuga > 555 > Hibiki > X > Gaim > Den-O > W > Ex-Aid > Shin > Ryuki > Blade > G > SD > The First > Kabuto > The Next > Build

And for ranking the riders:

Skyrider > Zi-O > OOO > Black RX > Cronus > Decade > Riderman > Kiva > Birth > Black > Gaoh > J > ZO > Drive > Meteor > Shin > Gills > Faiz > Fourze > Shadow Moon > Amazon > Arc > Super-1 > Delta > IXA > Odin > G4 > Brain > Agito > Sasword > Chalice > Kaixa > Dark Kiva > Kuuga > Stronger > V3 > Ichigo > Nigo > Beast > TheBee > Leangle > Hibiki > X > Saga > Core > Den-O > Wizard > ZX > G Den-O > G3-X > Bravo > Ryuga > Proto Birth > Another Agito > Gold Drive > Zeronos > Aqua > Ex-Aid > Zangetsu Shin > Zangetsu > Gaim > Zolda > Knight > G > Zanki > Todoroki > Danki > Lazer Turbo > Psyga > Kabuto > Dark Kabuto > Garren > Specter > W > Imperer > Verde > Ibuki > Accel > Ghost > Lazer > Woz > Blade > Ryugen Yomi > Ryugen > Fifteen > Orga > Sabaki > Kabuki > Bujin Gaim > Ouja > Ryuki > V1 > Eternal > Skull > Mach > Genm > Shuki > Gatack > Necrom > Raia > Tiger > Poseidon > G3 Mild > Baron > Sorcerer > Chase > Rey > Drake > Lance > Scissors > Femme > Gai > Kivala > Punch Hopper > Kick Hopper > Ginga > Lupin > Snipe > Sigurd > Duke > Marika > Glaive > Yuuki > Para-DX > Nadeshiko > Mage > Knuckle > Gridon > Kurokage > Brave > Extremer > Joker > Cyclone > Fuuma > Mars > Nega Den-O > Larc > Caucasus > Hercus > Ketaros > Dark Drive > Geiz > Kikai > Shinobi > Quiz > Heart > Poppy > Zectrooper > Kurokage Trooper > Rider Player > Tsukuyomi > Diend > all Build related divers

D

Dr Kain

Oh jeeus fucking christ dude, get off your fucking soap box about Build.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
I purposely left Build complaining out of that post and tried to focus on what Zi-O did correctly and where it stood amongst its peers. Also the soap box will die when I find a worse tokusatsu. As in worse, not just as bad or slightly better. Not. One. Nanosecond. Before. And yes, my perception of time moves so slow for me I can feel the nanoseconds.

Oh yeah and the final episode was legit good and had nothing dumb in it aside from resetting the multiverse into different Earths again. It messes with continuity a little, but in ten years or a movie maybe it'll change, I'm more open to these now. Looking forward to the movie!

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Faiz got to live
Did they ever explain how and why? I assume Zi-O changing timeline stuck then?
Also, since Super Hero Taisen movies aren't canon (and Kamen Rider 4 by extension) that means Takumi never really died in the first place.