Yes, It’s True — Microsoft Just Bought Activision

Staff member
Living on the West Coast means you’re often behind a lot of people in finding things out. Often I first learn about a thing through waking up in the morning and booting up social media and seeing everyone else’s reactions to something insane I don’t know about yet. It took me a few scrolls to piece together what happened while I was asleep THIS time, but eventually it dawned on me that Microsoft just announced it had purchased Activision Blizzard.
My immediate reaction: “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”
You wouldn’t buy the nuclear reactors in Chernobyl post-meltdown. You wouldn’t buy the Titanic post-sink. Who on Earth would look at Activision the way it currently is, with more scandals per square inch than any other video game company, and think “Oh boy, sign me up for some of that! Here’s 68 billion dollars!” I guess Microsoft would?
But the more I thought about it...

Continue reading...

Yes, it's true. Microsoft announced its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, one of the largest gaming companies globally, on January 18, 2022. This acquisition marks one of the largest deals in the history of the gaming industry, with Microsoft paying approximately $68.7 billion for Activision Blizzard. This move positions Microsoft's gaming division, Xbox, as a major player in the gaming industry, with access to popular franchises such as Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and Overwatch. The acquisition is expected to have significant implications for the gaming landscape, including exclusive releases and integration with Microsoft's gaming platforms.