Here's what Famitsu had to say....

10,10,9,8 for a total of 37/40

"After playing this game, I now realize that all the games out so far are not meant for adults. The staggering amount of small details that build up the game world and the well developed plot create a reality ideal for the adult audience. I am moved by knowing such a game for adults is in existence now."

"The drama of a lone man conflicting with the mind of a young girl is in every way superb. From the wonderful make up of the backdrop world, the honest representation of brawls and fights, to the true to life portral of the hostess clubs, this game allows you to live the life of your imaginations. Between drama and game, this masterpiece keeps an amazing balance between both."

"I'm moved by the intricate details of the lively streets. Even though the main story is very rich, there are still a very large amount of sub stories scattered all throughout the game, and accomplishing them still gives an exceptional sense of accomplishment. It's fun that no matter where you go, there will be some drama.  As you progress through the story, the enemies get progressively harder. You won't be able to win unless you utilize the useful shift system and various items. Personally, I think it's a bit hard."

"Even though this game has drawn attention to keywords such as profligate and bustling streets, it's actually a very well executed action and adventure game. When you put the main story aside, this game is fun simply for the amount of extras and omake that are in the game. Although the main character is likely to be a profligate person, the things he does convey the message of helping the good and punishing the bad. It's something that average people can appreciate while playing the game."

Shenmue is one of my all time favorite games, so I'm definately looking forward to this one...:thumbs: