Would you enjoy a super sentai with just 5 heroes and 3 or 4 mechas

A common complaint about modern SS is that they spam mechas and powers, while the story lacks depth and energy.

However, i highly doubt that most of fans here could watch a modern super sentai if the show only featured 3 or 4 mechas. Because we whave been used to seing one main robot, one robot for the sixth robot, then additionnal mechas that come in the way, heroes solve their problems by getting power upgrades. In Gokaiger things were slightly different, but grand powers were there.

So answer honestly, if tomorrow ther eis a modern SS with 5 rangers and 1 or two robots, will you enjoy it? Do you think if SS makers were allowed to use only a few mechas, this could be balanced by a better quality for story?

I kknow this wont happen for economical reasons, but , imagine this happen. Arent you addicted with the "spam powers" path?

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Whatever. Anything will be better than current Sentai.

Super Moderator
I'd enjoy Sentai with 5 heroes and 1 mecha/combiner. Possibly even 3-5 heroes and no mecha. I think there are some series where it really feels like even the main combiner is only there because it's a requirement let alone getting into the excessive mass of pile-ons we have now. The robot fights begin to feel very tacked on which is a shame because something as inherently awesome as big robots fighting is not the kind of thing that should ever feel routine even if it is part of a long running tradition.

GoBusters has it's problems but I enjoyed GoBuster Ace. Especially when it was just Ace, no attachments.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
Although I would like to agree with MattComix above I think for me personally it would be strange to see a series without the mecha, just because it's been around for so long. I suppose the advantage of a lack of mecha would be more time to focus on storytelling.

I take it you're referring to a team of 5 that never gets a Sixth (because starting with 3 and adding 2 more would mean new mecha) which would again make me a little twitchy just because I prefer bigger casts. Maybe I'd be fine with it if they added an important new villain or supporting character at that time instead

I prefer series with 5 + 1 members rather than 3 + 2 members. I dunno why but even when I started watching Sentai, I never really cared about teams with the latter formation. as for the mecha and weaponry/powers, I don't really pay attention to it so I'd still take it no matter what sort of ideas they come up with.

Banned
I prefer series with 5 + 1 members rather than 3 + 2 members. I dunno why but even when I started watching Sentai, I never really cared about teams with the latter formation. as for the mecha and weaponry/powers, I don't really pay attention to it so I'd still take it no matter what sort of ideas they come up with.

Then it's not the number of people it's the shows you didn't like. I mean otherwise talk about a really arbitrary way to judge a show.

MagiFanboy
Personally, what I prefer is not the number of mecha, but that more thought be put into the ways that they combine together.

Like, Ultimate DaiBouken; that may have been a ten-piece brick, but they put a lot of thought into how all the pieces fit together and work so that they're not all just being disassembled and piled on randomly onto random places. Mecha design like that, you could go up to 20 pieces for all I care.

Also, try and make sure that everyone gets the same or near enough number of mecha; again, Boukenger, everyone got exactly 3 different mecha assigned to them, that worked out really well.

Finally, in terms of team set-ups I personally prefer 5+1 over 3+2, the former gives a much richer ranger of character dynamics than the former in my experience.

It seems the more mecha a Sentai has, the less the characters care about them. Why bother when a new one comes along every few episodes to say the day? It also diminishes the main robot when after only two or three or so episodes it needs a new attachment to win the day.

On the other hand the pre-Flashman Sentais with only one robot can get boring too, especially when the mecha fight is just thrown in for the sake of it. So I think the best setup for the most part is that from Flashman through Timeranger. But my ultimate preference is two robos with a combining carrier, or three robos with a non-combining carrier. With Ohranger I might have removed OhBlocker and retained TackleBoy, and with Gingaman make GigaRhinos and Phoenix single piece robots rather than combiners (which did nothing on their own anyway).