Women commanders &/or women mentors are rare in Sentai these days.

Lurker
Aya Odagiri from Jetman
Gao Priestess Tetom from Gaoranger
Miyuki Ozu/Magimother from Magiranger (if that counts)

IMO, I thought that it was a really nice change of pace, as women commanders &/or women mentors are rare in sentai.

Last edited:
Mugensai and Sha Fu would be the commanders/mentors, not Oboro and Miki.

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
It actually is rare to see female Sentai commanders/Sentai mentors nowadays. But, I agree with Black Fang on this one. Oboro-san and Miki only served as like the second-in-command and techno experts in their respective Sentai series.

NonStereoBlack
Well, its kinda something to expect from Japan. Their culture is still way ahead of getting rid of patriarchy. How many female sentai leaders are there ? I can only think of Dekaranger. The all pink henshin from gokaiger lasted like 2 seconds. Rio was submissive to Mele on purpose! Its something they need to work on.

Well, its kinda something to expect from Japan. Their culture is still way ahead of getting rid of patriarchy. How many female sentai leaders are there ? I can only think of Dekaranger.

There's also Ran (Gekiyellow), though she was really the leader in name only and it was Jan who did most of the leader-type things and, obviously, had the main focus in the show. Other than Ran there's Yuuri (Timepink) and Tsuruhime (Ninjawhite).

Well, its kinda something to expect from Japan. Their culture is still way ahead of getting rid of patriarchy.

It's funny you say that, considering by and large I can take Japanese superheroines more seriously than most big/small screen American ones. Both may have their fanservice, but the former isn't lecturing me on what they *think* is female equality and ability while using sex appeal to sell that idea. Female characters in toku speak for themselves as far as their worth goes; they have their own problems, but at least they don't revolve around the fact that they're female. They just are.

How many female sentai leaders are there? I can only think of Dekaranger.

Kruger was male.

The all pink henshin from gokaiger lasted like 2 seconds.

And that demonstrates patriarchy? How many all-yellow henshins were there? Yellow's been more of a girl color in Sentai these days.

Rio was submissive to Mele on purpose!

Huh? Rio didn't even acknowledge Mele's existence most of the time outside giving her orders.

Huh? Rio didn't even acknowledge Mele's existence most of the time outside giving her orders.

5$ says typo or some other form of mixup... As for the actual relationship in question... well... it's a logical move to make if you wish to cozy up to a guy like that, appeal to his arrogance/pride, but... well, pretty easy to say that it does NOT make a good basis for a relationship, but then again, villains, not role models for kids.

It's not just women, the mentor figure lost importance through the years. When there is one, they're many times more "helpers" than commanders. And the most significant ones in recent years weren't even human.

There's also Ran (Gekiyellow), though she was really the leader in name only and it was Jan who did most of the leader-type things and, obviously, had the main focus in the show.

I never understood the point of "captain Ran", as that was brought up like two of three times only (in a comical manner) and the others didn't even take it seriously. In the end, Ran was a leader almost in the same way Umeko thought she lead the Dekarangers..