Witchfire Delayed To 2023 For Major Gameplay Shift

Staff member
Video game development team known as The Astronauts has been working on a first-person shooter with a fantasy setting called Witchfire since 2017. The game dropped off the radar for a while, but re-emerged recently with the promise that we’d be playing it in some form by the end of this year. …But apparently not.
The Astronauts have had a last-minute revelation. They’ve decided the game works a lot better as an open-world, pick-your-direction type of game than a closed-corridor, Doom-style level runner. So they’re changing the game around to fit that new style, and consequently, the promise that Witchfire would enter Early Access by late 2022 has now been broken. Instead the game will go into testing sometime in 2023. If you’ve been waiting patiently to shoot at witches, you’ll have to wait a bit longer.
The news may be a bit disappointing, but it’s good overall that the team wants to take the extra time to produce as good of a game as they can. “The feature is now 95%...

Continue reading...

They do not want to make the same mistake Assassin's Creed 4 and Cyberpunk 2077 did. Delays can be necessary sometimes or else you end up releasing a low quality product.

Blue Ranger Power
There are some pretty interesting ideas and aesthetic elements here; I'm hoping the gameplay lives up to the promise. The gameplay reminds me of a cross between Doom and Destiny 2, and that's saying something. I heard that the addition of an open world is what caused the delay. In the eyes of coders, that is pure hell.

I am not sure if this is a good decision because the game doesn't even have much hype to begin with.