CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Congrats to Winnipeg!

Sorry Atlanta, you loose your team. Again. I wonder why its not the Coyote just moving back o.o

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
It's not the Coyotes because the city of Glendale (the suburb where they play) agreed to pay the NHL to let the team stay there for at least 1 more season.

The party/celebrations that we had here after the annoucement was made pretty much went on for the whole day. People were "taking personal days" from work, longtime Jets fans were pulling their kids out of school for the day to go join the celebration, people here were definitely having a good time. :) Would've been more enjoyable if the weather had been better though.

Now we just have to get past the whole "what do we name the team?" issue.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Yeah the name 'Jets' was a bit silly. I know Winnipeg had an airforce base or something but it just doesn't fit.

Guess the Coyote will move to Quebec or something then :p we just need to build our new arena.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
Yeah the name 'Jets' was a bit silly. I know Winnipeg had an airforce base or something but it just doesn't fit.
We Winnipegers take major pride in that name dude. It was NOT silly.

Now I know you didn't mean any offense by it, but if I wanted to get into a "silly names" debate, I could ask what the **** were you Quebecers smoking/thinking when you came up with "Nordiques". :169:

Anyhoo, the reason why the team was originally called the Jets was not because of the Air Force base here, but rather, it was because of Bobby Hull. When the old WHA formed, Winnipeg was one of the original teams in that league. We were able to convince Bobby Hull to leave the Chicago Blackhawks and sign with us. He was basically the WHA's first superstar (like the Gretzky or Crosby of the time), and his nickname is/was "The Golden Jet", and because we were somehow able to get him to sign for a brand new team in playing in a brand new league, the team was named the "Jets" after/in honor of him.

And now you know. :coolshades:

Guess the Coyote will move to Quebec or something then :p we just need to build our new arena.
Hate to say it, but if our experience here in Winnipeg is any indication, you guys will likely have to build the new arena first before the NHL will even consider expanding/moving a team there.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Nice.

I'm not big on the name Nordiques either but it at least has something to do with cold and thus hockey. Most of the team in this city have silly names. We have the Rempart in junior hockey, the Rouge & Or in collegial football, the Capitales in Baseball (three time champions!) and we used to have the Citadelles (I liked them 'cause their logo was a goat :p ).

Fun fact: in Baie-Comeau we heard of a kid named Bobby-Hull Hamilton. Yes his first name is actually 'Bobby Hull'. His sister is named Derby (as in Demolition Derby) -.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
^
That's why I said "oddly" awesome.
:p

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Anyway... think they'll go back to being the Jets? Or will they come up with something new?

How about the Winnipeg Wonders, just for the double W :laugh: