Senshi no Hikari
What Eva Did for mecha anime and anime in general is is the single greatest Decon of A genre in anime History.

it did for anime what Knight and Watchman did for comics in the 80's

Shinji is your Amuro Rei[ no one has done a real mecha or as eva is called has deaconed the over emotional teenage mecha maister]

rei is your typical Fanboy bait

Asuka is the Queen of Tsudare's

Gendo is your Bright Noa the typical career soldier character type that

one of the things that stop me calling this Show a true real robot and others is the EVAs them selves there Part living bio mech weapons is a proper Real mech anime the pilot needs only skill not a bond with the mech

What Eva Did for mecha anime and anime in general is is the single greatest Decon of A genre in anime History.

it did for anime what Knight and Watchman did for comics in the 80's

Spawned awful, boring clones of itself?

Edit: Forgot to say. Super Robot gets no love because I've yet to see a good one. Gigantor, The Space Age Robot is not my thing.

Personally I like the designs of real robots better, generally.

Senshi no Hikari

lol that and other stuff since no anime have frank milller writing them so there is No why anime is going bottom out cause of it gets to grim and gritty

but the topic here is not miller bashing lol

anime/manga has been grim and gritty since Violence Jack and Bearfoot Gen Way before Knight and
watchman

dont call it Gigantor its tetsujin 28 go

Super Robo did not get Really good until the 70's if you ask some one who who knows anime they can name a good super robo show from 1970 to 86 the golden era for super robo anime but also the 70's are famous for spawning the Space Opera Genre but thats another topic of another day

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者

Edit: Forgot to say. Super Robot gets no love because I've yet to see a good one. Gigantor, The Space Age Robot is not my thing.

Personally I like the designs of real robots better, generally.

I'm kind of surprised you can't get into Super Robots, since IIRC you've said you dislike grim 'n' gritty.

Or is it just that you've been watching awful Super Robots?

Senshi no Hikari
i say most real robots are Grim and Gritty
and super robot a light hearted

Nice post!!

The initial version of Gigantor-- Tetsujin 28-- is broadly not considered a Super Robot, because it predates Mazinger Z. Subsequent shows are a subject of debate, as to whether they're Super Robot shows specifically or merely soft-SF in the tradition of Tetsuwan Atom or Babel II. The most compelling case for Tetsujin 28 as a proper Super Robot is the 2004 Yasuhiro Imagawa series, which was not perfect but nevertheless a very good watch.

Now, honestly, no good Super Robot shows? I thought you liked Aquarion, at least? That show is about as Supery as it gets, it's a Getter Robo clone laced with the mystic themes of a Reideen-type series and a heaping dose of Evangelion-style psychosexual imagery.

Actually, I suspect the problem is that you've been watching the shows that get licensed for the US, which tend to be the worst specimens of the genre. Series perceived as high-quality or popular tend to charge higher foreign licensing fees than R1 distributors want to pay, hence GaoGaiGar not releasing in the US until roughly 10 years after its original production.

The only significant counter-example to this is Evangelion. Otherwise, basically every major Super Robot series produced throughout the 90s and 00s was not promptly licensed for US distribution until some time after its initial production. Most of the Real shows produced during this time, for all that they don't deserve the name, were licensed either during or promptly after their initial production period.

Last edited:
Senshi no Hikari
The initial version of Gigantor-- Tetsujin 28-- is broadly not considered a Super Robot, because it predates Mazinger Z. Subsequent shows are a subject of debate, as to whether they're Super Robot shows specifically or merely soft-SF in the tradition of Tetsuwan Atom or Babel II. The most compelling case for Tetsujin 28 as a proper Super Robot is the 2004 Yasuhiro Imagawa series, which was not perfect but nevertheless a very good watch.

Now, honestly, no good Super Robot shows? I thought you liked Aquarion, at least? That show is about as Supery as it gets, it's a Getter Robo clone laced with the mystic themes of a Reideen-type series and a heaping dose of Evangelion-style psychosexual imagery.

Actually, I suspect the problem is that you've been watching the shows that get licensed for the US, which tend to be the worst specimens of the genre. Series perceived as high-quality or popular tend to charge higher foreign licensing fees than R2 distributors want to pay, hence GaoGaiGar not releasing in the US until roughly 10 years after its original production.

The only significant counter-example to this is Evangelion. Otherwise, basically every major Super Robot series produced throughout the 90s and 00s was not promptly licensed for US distribution until some time after its initial production. Most of the Real shows produced during this time, for all that they don't deserve the name, were licensed either during or promptly after their initial production period.

it took the first 23 years 3 Gundam animes to the licensed

and i a big fan of Yuusha franchise Bandai Us pickied the Worst one if they had an sense thay would of got The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn or he Brave Fighter of Sun Fighbird the best 2 Yuusha Shows

and one of my faves Astroganger has not been pick up yet

Nice post!!
it took the first 23 years 3 Gundam animes to the licensed

Probably because there was no domestic anime market capable of supporting TV series releases at the time those shows were produced. Even only a few long OVA series and short TV could turn a profit in the late 90s. It's really not until DVD takes off that long anime TV series on DVD are really marketable at all in North America. Even then, the First Gundam films beat the TV show to market by a good few years, as I recall.

Previously, an anime TV series was only marketable if it could be aired on television, where it would be easier to get users familiar with the brand. Of the DVD-era Gundam productions-- SEED and 00-- both have been licensed promptly. Unicorn is being dual-released. We haven't gotten Stargazer yet, AFAIK, but Stargazer was a weird model kit tie-in.

and i a big fan of Yuusha franchise Bandai Us pickied the Worst one if they had an sense thay would of got The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn or he Brave Fighter of Sun Fighbird the best 2 Yuusha Shows

My understanding is that GaoGaiGar could be licensed due to a rights loophole that lets Sunrise market GaoGaiGar separately from the rest of the Yuusha franchise. This rights loophole was allegedly negotiated with Takara back when Sunrise made the GaoGaiGar OVA.

The rest of the Yuusha series is still controlled by Takara, as far as I know. The rumor I've heard over the years from friends who work in the R1 industry is that Yuusha has been considered for release in the US but probably won't be because Takara's licensing requirements are allegedly ridiculous.

What I've heard is that Takara will not license Yuusha to any R1 distributor who can not promise consecutive TV airings of all seven series, accompanied by distribution of all of the toys to major retailers. The R1 licensees who have been interested in Yuusha are niche companies that simply do not have the ability to make this happen.

Incidentally, yes, I quite agree that Da Garn is far and away the best actual TV series to come out of the Yuusha franchise. GaoGaiGar is vastly more marketable, though.

and one of my faves Astroganger has not been pick up yet

Hardly any series produced in the 70s have been licensed for US distribution under any circumstances. Not even Rose of Versailles, which fans of Utena typically develop an interest in seeing, has been licensed (to my knowledge).

Most of 70s shows that have been licensed went on to become commercial failures. Most US anime fans simply do not want to spend money on old anime because the visuals are perceived as inferior to newer anime.

Most US fans feel that newer anime is likely to be better than older series in all respects, since newer US animation is entirely superior to what our industry produced through the 60s and 70s.

I'm kind of surprised you can't get into Super Robots, since IIRC you've said you dislike grim 'n' gritty.

Or is it just that you've been watching awful Super Robots?

I do despise dark stuff, but I think it's more the quality of the series I've seen.

Actually, I suspect the problem is that you've been watching the shows that get licensed for the US, which tend to be the worst specimens of the genre. Series perceived as high-quality or popular tend to charge higher foreign licensing fees than R1 distributors want to pay, hence GaoGaiGar not releasing in the US until roughly 10 years after its original production.

Sousei no Aquarion's decent, but it doesn't chart on any Top Lists. (For me, at least.)

The only other Super Robot series I've seen are Godannar and Gravion. SGG is okay, but it gets old after awhile. Gravion...eh.