Why Metal Heroes didn't become popular like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider

Space Sheriff Gavan (Geki Jumonji) got his own movie, star in Super Hero Taisen Z and guest star in Go-Busters, but he didn't have his own show, Why?! They willing to make Metal Heroes popular again but decide to not to give him his show?!

Why?! Metal heroes didn't become popular like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider?!

Metal Heroes doesn't have the same popularity as KR & Sentai. While Toei played it safe by using Sentai as a medium to reintroduce Gavan, it wasn't enough. Since today's fans don't have the same connection as the ones in the 80's & 90's.

Trying to make a modern Metal Hero movie using the old design from the 80s was a mistake. Choosing Osamu Kaneda to direct the movie was another mistake. The movie bombed, so of course Toei won't make more Gavan solo features.

Space Sheriff Gavan (Geki Jumonji) got his own movie, star in Super Hero Taisen Z and guest star in Go-Busters, but he didn't have his own show, Why?! They willing to make Metal Heroes popular again but decide to not to give him his show?!
Because the Gavan movie was a dud. It performed well under expectations (although admittedly those expectations were set high because Gokaiger vs Gavan was the best performing 'Vs Series' Sentai movie ever). I suspect the main reason Gavan turned up in Super Hero Taizen Z is because they signed the actor to a three movie deal and therefore he has to be available to do it if they ask him. The appearance in Go-Busters was specifically to promote the movie. Expect him to show up for one more film and then never again.

Lurker
D: Was I the only one who liked the Gavan movie? I mean, I actually liked the premise of it, it felt kinda retro, as if I was watching a visually updated Kamen Rider V3...okay, is that the reason why not so many people liked it then?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I think a problem the movie had was that its younger audience had never known Metal Heroes, while older fans who remembered Gavan weren't getting the original and, as we know, audiences are notoriously resistant to change

D: Was I the only one who liked the Gavan movie? I mean, I actually liked the premise of it, it felt kinda retro, as if I was watching a visually updated Kamen Rider V3...okay, is that the reason why not so many people liked it then?

nope, this fellow Malaysian also actually loved it as well. I honestly didn't care about Gavan until Gokaiger VS Gavan and this movie came out. still want that SHF Gavan Type G too though. :shakefist

Chief HJU News Editor
As Japanese said when the Gavan movie came out "The Metal Hero series died a second death".