I heard a rumor that it was called Final Fantasy because the company behind the series was going bankrupt at the time. They named it Final Fantasy because they thought it might be their last shot at creating a game. Is this true? If it is, then the Final Fantasy series did save the company for closing out since it became a huge success.

What do you guys think? Are there other reasons why it is called Final Fantasy?

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
This is a critical question and I must confess that it has never occurred to me why the game beared the name Final Fantasy. I was merely thinking it was given the name Final Fantasy because it was being touroued to be the last option if you are looking for the best RPG game to play.

I think it was named due to the fantasy genre it revolves into. Like those conceptual fantasy, summons, manna and other things. FPS category does not have wizard, MANA and summons. So that could be one reason IMO.

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
I think it was named due to the fantasy genre it revolves into. Like those conceptual fantasy, summons, manna and other things. FPS category does not have wizard, MANA and summons. So that could be one reason IMO.

This might be a good idea on the reason why the game is named Final Fantasy actually, and it makes a very good sense. I really wish that there could be a more detailed explanation from the company as to why the game was named Final Fantasy.

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it has something to do with every sequel being stand alone. I remember Sakaguchi who is one of the creators wanted a title that can be abbreviated with 2 letters together with roman numerals. He find FF to be fitting.

It is easy to abbreviate. FF I,FFII, FFIII,FFIV etc..

I have heard the bankrupt story before and that it would be the last game Square would make, so they called it Final Fantasy. They say that the bankrupt story is not true though, but the other story is true- that Final Fantasy director, Hironobu Sakaguchi was going to go back to college, but make one final game before he left is the real story, because Sakaguchi has repeated this story in many interviews they say.

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
Maybe it has something to do with every sequel being stand alone. I remember Sakaguchi who is one of the creators wanted a title that can be abbreviated with 2 letters together with roman numerals. He find FF to be fitting.

It is easy to abbreviate. FF I,FFII, FFIII,FFIV etc..

You are absolutely correct with this statement on why the game was named Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi who was the one behind the naming of the game sought after a name that would be very easy to use and be remembered, so it's why he picked FF and the use of Roman figures. Before calling the game Final Fantasy, he thought of calling it fighting fantasy but there are other game genre with such name and it's why he settled for the use of "Final".

This might be a good idea on the reason why the game is named Final Fantasy actually, and it makes a very good sense. I really wish that there could be a more detailed explanation from the company as to why the game was named Final Fantasy.
Now that the stories have gone beyond their control. I don't think they are paying much attention. They are just making the choice for coming up with better gameplay. So they keeping the stuff common under FF title.

You are absolutely correct with this statement on why the game was named Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi who was the one behind the naming of the game sought after a name that would be very easy to use and be remembered, so it's why he picked FF and the use of Roman figures. Before calling the game Final Fantasy, he thought of calling it fighting fantasy but there are other game genre with such name and it's why he settled for the use of "Final".

Yeah, I've found the article. Square have settled for the second word to be "Fantasy" then anything that starts with an "F" for the first word would have been acceptable. Just imagine if a pimp created the game, the title might have been F*** Fantasy. LOL