Why is that some people actually complain about a actor's looks?

One aspect of the toku fandom that I find shallow is when the fans complain about when the actors looks femine. Seriously, who cares, being a toku hero isn't about looks,its about actions. A toku actor could a transexual and still be a hero.

A Secret Messenger ...
I know what you are saying, though I'm not sure I agree.

The complaints mostly come from the difference between "then and now." Way back when, especially near the beginning, you would often see older actors in the lead roles, which usually had a more tough guy image. In some cases the actors even knew martial arts.

I don't think anyone would typically have a problem with it, but with recent tokusatsu it's pretty much ALL you get. Toei is the main culprit. For the most part, they seem to abhor using older, and/or masculine actors and only want the young, effeminate models to attract mothers and maybe be the next idol.

One of the reasons I love Tsubraya is that they aren't afraid to bring back veterans or cast older actors in new series.

One of the reasons I love Tsubraya is that they aren't afraid to bring back veterans or cast older actors in new series.

Precisely what I've noticed. Rarely does Tsubaraya focus on the unmasculine 'girly-men' males to play the hero roles in Ultra shows. Most Ultra casts are a mix of old and young, and usually the young males actually look like males. Toei seems to be the one with the problem.

I don't care what the actor looks like: for me, masculinity and femininity are defined by actions, not necessarily by appearances. Even then, in the modern age, what is seen as "masculine" and what is seen as "feminine" are two radicals that are being blurred into one omnisexual category.

I don't understand why people desire the gritty tough-guy look in their tokusatsu. I enjoy older shows just as much as I enjoy newer shows, and I like the actors in all of them.

I've heard that the "pretty boy" look is what's popular in Japan right now, similar to the wild and gritty appearances of the 70s and the streamlined, short buzz hair of the late 80s (if KR Black is any indication).

I agree with the original poster and even though it won't happen in this genre [anytime soon], I would love for a hero that transcends or exceeds or whatevers gender. Not just between man and woman, but also gender roles and identity, etc.

Though this is Japan we're talking about.

Eye See You
Toei seems to be the one with the problem.

Definatley.

I do agree it's sorta pointless to argue on how the actor looks just as long as the person knows how to act and isn't a complete douche of a character then I'm all for it.

Mad Skillz
I really don't care how a person looks, as long as they can actually act decently. There are some pretty tough looking guys that can't throw a punch to save their lives, and there are some pretty feminine looking men that could kick ass sorts of ass.

"Training."
I just want a actor that looks like a person you can look up to in KR.

See Hibiki and Godai.

the baddest *****
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNwYPdEBTc[/ame]

vs

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C07lDidZ3v4[/ame]

I don't think anyone would typically have a problem with it, but with recent tokusatsu it's pretty much ALL you get. Toei is the main culprit. For the most part, they seem to abhor using older, and/or masculine actors and only want the young, effeminate models to attract mothers and maybe be the next idol.

Yup pretty much the audience for Rider series are housewives who have to watch their son's Sunday Morning time slot. Shin-chan even made an episode about mothers watching toku for the young male lead :laugh:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6EBde7kc7o[/ame]

I just want a actor that looks like a person you can look up to in KR.

See Hibiki and Godai.

And you can't look up to Shouichi, Shinji, Takumi, Kenzaki, Tendou, Ryoutaro, and Wataru because...?

Granted Tendou was a prick, and I haven't seen Blade yet, but everyone else seems really cool and look-up-able.

You know, you could also look up to ::gasp:: a girl! There are strong female characters in Kamen Rider such as Akira from Hibiki (Shuki was kind of crazy I guess), Misaki and Renge from Kabuto (I still say Misaki should have inherited Sasword [and Renge TheBee], but that's just me), Hana as an adult and not as Kohana, etc.

It's not about how they look, it's about their character. Yes, part of their character is their appearance, but I find it to be an insignificant part.