Why is Japan so obsessed with watching women eat?

icecreamhendrix

Also called CentaurusRhinos
I just finished watching Ep 31 of Go-Busters, and it has a scene where Youko and Shelly go into a restaurant and order a bunch of desserts. The scene has these takes where they focus on the two of them just eating and enjoying their food, something that I've noticed happens a lot in toku and anime. It's not like they are eating anything phallic, so is there some sort of fetish for watching people eat stuff? What's it called? Why is it so prevalent in Japanese culture that it shows up in an children's show?

lazycoconut

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I kind of thought it was to do with the whole idea that liking sweets is "moe" and attractive, which is why it's such a common trait among female characters in toku and anime (sometimes used as fanservice for male characters, too.)

There also seems to be a thing in anime whereby young people are portrayed as continually hungry, always snacking, with huge appetites

Last edited:

lazycoconut

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I...didn't realize eating was so cute and sexy. :redface2:

^ Well, liking sugar/sweets is very common among anime/toku characters who are supposed to be cute. Similarly, if they want to show that a guy is manly or a girl is a tomboy, that character can make a point of refusing to eat sweets.

Japan seems to be more focused on food as a society than we are in the west, why do you think there are so many cooking shows on Japanese TV? Or celebrities go on those shows where they talk about food and take about five minutes to eat a couple of bites of something and go "OISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~!" really loudly

Khaiden

Heroes are forever
It's not only women. I'm having some awful Kamen Rider Kabuto flashbacks right now.

shingamyeonblack

Back in Black
Japan seems to be more focused on food as a society than we are in the west, why do you think there are so many cooking shows on Japanese TV? Or celebrities go on those shows where they talk about food and take about five minutes to eat a couple of bites of something and go "OISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~!" really loudly

Yes, and they like to eat fat from the meat more than the meat itself.

"So how is the meat?"

"The fat is so juicy! The fat melts in your mouth!"

rangergod

I...didn't realize eating was so cute and sexy. :redface2:
banana-sexy.jpg

NateRiver

Welcome
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KepCUdBWXcw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]GOLDEN BOMBER??????-K-POP?????-?FULL PV??????????? - YouTube[/ame]

These aren't even women.

Smilodon

Friendship and the Cosmos.
It's definitely not just women, they have gourmet reports on every single show imaginable in Japan. From women, to men, to children, to idols, to comedians, to transvestites, to celebrities, everyone does them. Hell, I visited a ramen shop in Hakata and the first sign you see are the signatures of Koda Kumi, Amuro Namie and all of EXILE. Most of their visits are probably variety show based.

Fox-Chan

Harumph.
I just assume that it all exists for the same reason cooking shows and food critiques exist in other countries.

Because food is awesome and we all love to express our love for it and demonstrate different ways to enjoy it.

Bigdog

How is women eating , or for women , men not attractive or sexual based?

Being raised in culinary family, I can understand how and why people find women or anyone eating food as attractive. What they eat and how they eat it, no matter if it is normal food or something symbolic of phallic symbols, is demonstrative of how they are as people or where their preferences lie.

Open chewers are often disorganized, slobs, or have little to no taste or standards in their clothing or lifestyle while closed mouthed eaters are typically the opposite. And how someone chews side by side or more formalized determines also whom they are and how they present themselves.

We desire those whom eat in an orderly fashion because in older societies, each piece of food had much more of a worth to it and seeing others whom ate in a likewise manner as more attractive than those whom ate like pigs.

It's just one of those things that follows us from our earlier days .

Shir

I just finished watching Ep 31 of Go-Busters, and it has a scene where Youko and Shelly go into a restaurant and order a bunch of desserts. The scene has these takes where they focus on the two of them just eating and enjoying their food, something that I've noticed happens a lot in toku and anime. It's not like they are eating anything phallic, so is there some sort of fetish for watching people eat stuff? What's it called? Why is it so prevalent in Japanese culture that it shows up in an children's show?

Because in Japan people slurp... And what guy does not like looking at a woman ...ing?

Dr Kain

Probably the same reason they are obsessed with having family members in love with other family members and stuff, especially daughters who fall in love and marry their father figures.