I don't hate it, but I found it to be obnoxious. Even more so than Carranger. The thing is, Go-Onger wasn't a parody series while being apart of franchise like Carranger.

It does have its moments like when Engineoh G12 debuted. For some reason, Engineoh G12's first fight reminded me of RV Robo and VRV Robo's final fight against Sky Gigune, Marine Zaboon, and Land Zuzoon. The Divazords if you're confused.

Ole! Ole! Ole!
People are entitled to their opinions. I don't agree with the philosophy that sentai needs to be grimdark all the time, but at the same time I think it's ridiculous to brush off all those fans who don't like Go-Onger, Goseiger, etc. and generalize them as these people who absolutely hate fun.

I also hate the "it's a kid show" excuse. A show's direction can be geared towards goofy/silly or serious/dramatic, but both are going to fall flat if they're poorly written. Adults are writing these shows after all.

Banned
People are entitled to their opinions. I don't agree with the philosophy that sentai needs to be grimdark all the time, but at the same time I think it's ridiculous to brush off all those fans who don't like Go-Onger, Goseiger, etc. and generalize them as these people who absolutely hate fun.

I also hate the "it's a kid show" excuse. A show's direction can be geared towards goofy/silly or serious/dramatic, but both are going to fall flat if they're poorly written. Adults are writing these shows after all.

Adults are writing these shows for children to sell toys.

I liked him when he wasn't a god

It's hard not to get that impression, considering that the usual complaints about those shows are either based around "too much" comedy and/or a lack of seriousness.

Sentai is aimed at toddlers. Do we complain about the lack of plot and depth in, say, Barney? No. Why is that? Because most pre-school-aged kids don't give a damn about it. They have other things to worry about.

It's possible to make a well-written show for any age group, but Toei doesn't want to. They want to sell toys.

Nice post!!
... Were the Carrangers likeable? I think they were enjoyable, but they were deliberately played up to be jerky, annoying, cowardly, ditzy, and other such things for comedy value ...

While I think part of the joke is that the Carrangers are not half so noble as the usual Sentai heroes, I don't think the joke is that they're bad or failed people. That tended to be Kakuranger's joke, with the dramatic part of the show illustrating how they tried to become better people as superheroes. Kakuranger's comedy was fairly caustic social satire, all about mocking the children who grew up into spoiled and useless young people thanks to the bubble years.

The joke of Carranger is that they're a blue-collar team, whose vices and virtues are of a rather smaller scale than you might expect. Carranger is more parody than satire, so it's more about defying expectations than making a nasty point. They fight not for universal salvation but for traffic safety; they are aided not by a deposed prince, but by a priggish traffic cop. If Carranger accomplishes anything of significance to anyone, there is a sense that it's quite by accident (even when, viewed more pragmatically, they're no less heroic than any other Sentai team).

So Carranger doesn't really make more mistakes or worse mistakes than the average team, but they're very venal mistakes. Kyosuke is frustrated by his wrong-headed boss, Yellow chafes under being the team's most competent member, Pink chafes under her responsibilities, Blue is intelligent yet utterly spineless, and Green is a stereotype crammed into an awkwardly bulky body.

It's hard not to get that impression, considering that the usual complaints about those shows are either based around "too much" comedy and/or a lack of seriousness.

I think a lot of people tend to say "too much comedy, not enough serious" when they actually mean "the comic relief is obnoxious, I prefer the melodrama". And I think that's a reasonable complaint. I enjoy comedy Sentai when it's funny, and if it's not funny? Well, I'd think the show had a problem.

Also called CentaurusRhinos
I think the biggest problem with Go-onger is that while it is wacky and zany and whatnot, there's not really anything else to latch on to. There are really way too many main characters (7 Go-ongers+12 Engines+Bomper=20) so dialog exchange scenes just consist of a bunch of people repeating the same two or three viewpoints over and over. Also, the characters are too cartoonish and one-dimensional to latch on to (even the restrained one).

However, I really liked the villains. Sure, they weren't threatening, but they were a hell of a lot more likeable than the Go-ongers themselves. Watch the episodes with Hiramekimedes if you don't believe me. Most of the time, I found myself rooting for them to win instead of the Go-ongers. And I'm pretty sure that was not intentional.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I never thought seven Rangers was too many, but then I never gave the Engines a moment's notice. If you were trying to concentrate on everyone at once it would be harder ...