Why did the Metal Hero Series end in 1999?

It is a shame that we cannot get Space Police franchise going like Kamen Rider, but with Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, Bandai has been integrating the concept of Metal Heroes in them, one thing in mind is the concept of Go-Busters and Agito G3-G4 and currently Drive.

It was getting stale and sales were declining in views and sales thus somewhat the attempt of fusing KR and metal heroes together !!!
Well I'd think that Metal Hero would probably have been the more valuable brand name at the time. Kamen Rider was the show that hadn't been on TV for over a decade. No kids had any attachment to it but they might have seen a Metal Hero show before. Plus MH had been going constantly for 16 years whereas KR had never managed a constant run of over five years. So you have this situation where the Kamen Rider was a fresh start for kids but a known name for the adult fans. But it needed changing too to give it that longevity that it never had previously.
Probably not helped by the fact that Tsuburaya had seen a resurgence with a presumably done-and-dusted property with the Tiga, Dyna and Gaia series. though that may have been the confidence boost Toei needed to leverage upon to get Kamen Rider (another presumably done-and-dusted property) back on air.
Or at the very least was pushing them to keep trying with toku. If another company is having success with it then you can't just write-off the genre as not being popular, it just means you haven't found a formula that works yet. Which is probably why they went back to look over the notes of their biggest creative name to see what else was there.
Actually, Agito's ratings were even higher than Kuuga. Kuuga beats everything else though. I'd guess it was the combination of Kuuga and Agito that resulted in Rider staying permanently in that timeslot.
I stand corrected. :sweat: The way I see it Kuuga brought back the show back but Agito came up with the formula that Toei could repeat and have it become an ongoing franchise again.
Yeah tell me about it i believe that the production crew are now looking at ishinomori's rider concept arts of kuuga for inspiration to make another heisei (or as of now neo-heisei) rider series.
I doubt they'd be too interested in them now tbh. Ishinomori didn't integrate toys into the heart of his Rider concepts in the way that is demanded today.

Last edited: