It was started as the RPG game with the fantasy theme. And it was created in a series of game. Most of the series games have no relation with each other. Some have tangent story. And it makes you wonder if it's even worth going random. But the way series developed and had some common threads. You'd find that it was named the way it is developed on the basis of it's elements in the game.

I think the bigger reason for the title(Final Fantasy)although nobody quite knows for sure they say-is that Square was going bankrupt and this game called Final Fantasy was going to be the last hurrah for the game company. It was true that Sakaguchi was going to quit Square and go back to college though and make one final game before he left-but I am not sure that was the real reason after all ?

I think the bigger reason for the title(Final Fantasy)although nobody quite knows for sure they say-is that Square was going bankrupt and this game called Final Fantasy was going to be the last hurrah for the game company. It was true that Sakaguchi was going to quit Square and go back to college though and make one final game before he left-but I am not sure that was the real reason after all ?
Is this the real underlying story? If yes, then I'm really happy to know this. Maybe, because this new fantasy game had to be deciding factor of the whole company. This was supposed to be their last and final chance. Hence they came up with the name addressed as The Final.

I have no idea, to be honest. It's a great and unique name though and definitely adds a character to the game! I guess they made it Final Fantasy at first and didn't know it would get so big and then I just get it kind of continued to grow.

Yes nobody knows now that the stories have nothing to do with each other. Each FF has it's own drama and vilians too. So there is nothing to connect either. I guess we will never know.

Yes nobody knows now that the stories have nothing to do with each other. Each FF has it's own drama and vilians too. So there is nothing to connect either. I guess we will never know.
I wish the developers would let us now. We are curious to know it.

I wish the developers would let us now. We are curious to know it.
Yeah, I am really curious. But as I stated above, it might be like I said, that they just choose it at first but now they became big and just continued making more games.

Yeah that is a good point, in the literal sense I guess it is a bit of an oxymoron, or something like that at least. The first final kind of seems strange, but in the end it is just the first of many parts.

Hironobu Sakaguchi has more officially said that it could have been any "F" name and it would have worked. But, had Final Fantasy not done well, it could have been his last game before quitting the game industry and Square was under the threat of bankruptcy. So, even if neither of those two situations had any direct effect on the game's name, it's still fitting.

I think this fact explains why the word "Final" was used on the game title. If the game was not a success, it would have been Square's final game before the company close. The word Final has a good appeal (if not great) to gamers. This is also commonly used in other industries like movie titles. If it was a different word, it may not have been that successful.