For all but a select few of us, our first anime was likely a shounen. Whether it was something like Ronin Warriors, DBZ or whatever. But shounen anime doesn't really get the respect it deserves, as its frequently mocked by any fan who's seen more than ten series and thinks they're "experienced".

So I wanted to start a Shounen Anime Lovers thread and see who popped up.

What's your favorite shounen series? Why do you like the series and the "genre" in general? How many series do you follow regularly?

Let the discussion...begin!

Nice post!!
I am quite fond of shounen stuff but generally don't follow Shounen Jump manga any more. I tend to prefer the Shounen Gangan stuff that's a little less formulaic. Fullmetal Alchemist is the main official release I'm paying attention to right now.

I also like One Piece quite a bit; it's a very brilliant take on the Shounen Jump punchfest sort of comic.

Mine's Death Note

Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty much the only series I'm following right now.

Last edited:
My first shounen shows were all the ones that aired on Toonami: DB/Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. After those shows finished, I started working on Naruto, until I came to the realization that not much is gonna develop over time, and that it's not gonna end anytime soon. After falling out with that, I went the old school route with Fist of the North Star (still one of my favorite shows of all-time) and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

My first show was Urusei Yatsura, but I love me some shonen.

I am only really liking FMA, Fairy Tail, and One Piece. Though I do skim through other Shounen mangas in my spare time out of curiosity. I think Steel Ball Run Qualifies as Shounen as well.

I actually think that Dragonball is quite possibly the greatest shounen series of all time. Seriously.

I love One Piece too, though.

What is love? Baby don't hurt me
me like Fairy Tail, Naruto, and Death Note.

im disappointed with Bleach though. the story gets confusing. :redface2:

Bout time Shonen got the love it needs. My first anime period was Ronin Warriors when I was somewhere around 5-6. Back then I didn't know what the hell anime was, I just knew I liked this show. Now that I know a little (and I stress a little) more about anime I appreciate my childhood favorites a little more.

My current favorites are the big ones, Naruto and Bleach, but I also like FMA, Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ and Ruroni Kenshin to name a few. I've wanted to check out Buso Renkin and Gin Tama but never got around to it, are they any good?

Super Kamen Sentai Rider
I love shonen anime ^^ And while I have "expanded" my interests, I can still enjoy stuff like DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho. Maybe it's because it's from my childhood :laugh: Either way, while I do enjoy a LOT of other shows now, I can still chill back and watch some classics. Also, maybe some people can try and educate the youngsters of the REALLY old shonen anime (like, before DBZ guys :p)