has left HJU. Not coming back.
Nope, which is really good.

So far, Gokaiger kicks ass this year.

Lurker
I ask because the premise of a pirate-themed team trying to obtain the full powers of all the previous Sentai teams would make it sound like it could be dark and edgy. Its not that I don't like how Gokaiger is. I'm just saying that the plot makes it sound like its a race between the heroes and villains to obtain powers used by old heroes. Something that would be considered

Sure, there have been some serious stuff, like the backstories of Marvelous, Joe and Luka and some tribute episodes, like Jetman and Shinkenger, but so far, most of the series has been comedic. So, be honest. When you first heard about Gokaiger, did you expect it to be dark or not?

I wasn't expecting it to be a grim, sad story with people dying left and right (okay, the monsters, but I was thinking main characters or good guys or even someone in more than one episode). I mean, not even Jetman and Timeranger were like that and it seems that fans agree that they're the darkest shows. However, I also wasn't expecting it to be this goofy. I'm not complaining, I enjoy it, but this wasn't what I expected.

I think the show got a little goofier as it went along. It felt like the show was more serious at the beginning. I don't know if that was just because of Gai, or if the March earthquake made the writers tone it down a smidch. They did a good job if that was the case, because it was reading this thread that made me realize what happen. The villains don't help in the seriousness dept, they are definitely Sentai's goofiest since I started watching (started with Deka, missing only Goseiger but I saw a few episodes and enough to guess that they weren't goofy, at least not goofier than usual Sentai villians). I don't know. I still enjoy the show very much and the goofiness makes me laugh, which is way better than goofiness that doesn't induce laughter.

Gokaiger does have its serious moments though. Except for Don and maybe Gai, all the main characters have pretty sad backstories with death, betrayal, and fighting friends. Plus, Toei planned to destroy all the past mecha. That wouldn't be so bad if they were just machines, like most of their Power Rangers counterparts. However, we've had mecha that were living creatures and, in some cases, main characters themselves (I'm looking at you, Go-onger). Yeah, it was cut from the movie, but it could very well be brought up in an episode.

Yeah, Gokaiger has been goofier then I would've guessed, but there are punches that they aren't pulling. Yeah, it's goofy, but I wouldn't rule out grim episodes down the line, maybe the loss of one of them ( I hate to join in the speculation, but I may not want to be Gai come finale time).

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
I went in with the hopes of it being slightly more palatable than Goseiger and I'm getting exactly what I hoped for

Let's be honest, it's going to take a FUCKING miracle for Sentai to be as dark and brooding as it was in the 80's and 90's

Times have changed, tastes have changed, children and parents have changed

Parents (ie. mothers) are much more sensitive to what their children view and what sort of impression it might make on them in the long run

When they begin to ease up (I seriously doubt it though), then we'll begin to see darker themes and a darker story again

Because right now it's all pretty much "Smiles And Rainbows Can Defeat The Bad Guys As Long As I Have My Friends Beside Me."

Which is, in my opinion:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs[/ame]

Kuuguitar
I went in with the hopes of it being slightly more palatable than Goseiger and I'm getting exactly what I hoped for

Let's be honest, it's going to take a FUCKING miracle for Sentai to be as dark and brooding as it was in the 80's and 90's

Times have changed, tastes have changed, children and parents have changed

Parents (ie. mothers) are much more sensitive to what their children view and what sort of impression it might make on them in the long run

When they begin to ease up (I seriously doubt it though), then we'll begin to see darker themes and a darker story again

Because right now it's all pretty much "Smiles And Rainbows Can Defeat The Bad Guys As Long As I Have My Friends Beside Me."

Which is, in my opinion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspNaoxzNbs

Considering Japan isn't at its best right now I'm gonna agree with you.

But again this topic makes me wonder about the tokusatsu fandom's fetish for grimdark.

I don't do sense
People are just in grim denial about this whole "it's a Sunday morning cartoon intended for pre-schoolers" thing. But if it has like, blood and drama, it's like, totally mature and okay to watch!

It's not power rangers. Nice try though. Was that a troll attempt?

Sure thing.
[HIDE][/HIDE]

Last edited:
When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
But again this topic makes me wonder about the tokusatsu fandom's fetish for grimdark.

I don't particularly care if the story is grimdark, so long as the story itself is solid

Same thing with what used to make professional wrestling great. I don't care about curse words or chairs or blood for that matter, just give me a reason why I should care about this person and at the very least some good, inspired wrestling

Kuuguitar
I don't particularly care if the story is grimdark, so long as the story itself is solid

Same thing with what used to make professional wrestling great. I don't care about curse words or chairs or blood for that matter, just give me a reason why I should care about this person and at the very least some good, inspired wrestling

Amen to that. :castlerock:

Lurker
What about Sentai inherently makes it silly? Don't talk about costumes or giant robots, because those in and of themselves aren't silly.
When it compares to real-world applications, yes it's very silly. Sentai's a dumbed down army task force for kids, doing more things to make them even sillier in practice.