I ask because the premise of a pirate-themed team trying to obtain the full powers of all the previous Sentai teams would make it sound like it could be dark and edgy. Its not that I don't like how Gokaiger is. I'm just saying that the plot makes it sound like its a race between the heroes and villains to obtain powers used by old heroes. Something that would be considered

Sure, there have been some serious stuff, like the backstories of Marvelous, Joe and Luka and some tribute episodes, like Jetman and Shinkenger, but so far, most of the series has been comedic. So, be honest. When you first heard about Gokaiger, did you expect it to be dark or not?

I wasn't expecting it to be dark. But I was expecting a few eps here and there to be a little dark.

Kuuguitar
I didn't expect it to be dark. The last time (heh) we got something relatively dark was Timeranger. :loltongue:

MagiFanboy
Gokaiger was conceived as a celebration of the Super Sentai franchise, and Super Sentai is generally pretty light, with even the darkest series not being that much more dark than any other. That said, you have silly, goofy episodes, like the Carranger tribute, and then you have darker, more serious episodes, like when Joe found out about how Sid was turned into Barizorg, and then you have most episodes that fall in between.

Minato Ascending
I didn't expect Gokaiger to be dark, but I thought they would try to make this series to be more dramatic and serious after the lighthearted romp of Goseiger. This series has a little too many goofy episodes to my liking thus far, but I'm hope the second half will have greater stakes and higher tension in the battles between Gokaigers and Zangyack. Letting Zangyack & Basco actually stealing some Great Powers might help in this regard.

Now Demonic
No I wasn't expecting it to be dark, as a whole, but for certain team ups like Jetman, Liveman, Flashman, and Maskman, yes I was expecting it to become a little darker in tone. So far they've only teamed up with Jetman and that episode wasn't exactly lighthearted, and the liveman episode is going to be dealing with a darker themed story. Also Finding out Luka's sister died was pretty dark.

No, I didn't think it would be dark at all

I had the feeling those pirates would act like corsaires or privateers...

Banned
Anyone that thought or expected this to be a dark series doesn't know a lot about sentai.