Which was the better tribute show-KR Decade or Gokaiger?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
This is the thing people say positively about Gokaiger that confuses me to no end. There wasn't anything likeable or lovable about them, so why do so many people keep saying there was?

I don't find anything likeable or lovable about the Decade characters. Guess we disagree on that one. And, yes, I liked some of the coolness. I found it less cloying than a series like, say, Magiranger

dunno, the only ones I'd say are really BETTER are Godai, Ryotaro and Shotaro/Philip. Kenzaki, Shouichi, Gentaro and Hibiki I'd say are tied with him and the others are just... too bad to talk about.

If we're going by Heisei Riders only ... that still puts a lot of them on the same level

Banned
People consider getting a lot of the older actors back a good thing for Gokaiger. I'd actually argue the opposite, given how most of them were used in a way that was utterly pointless and/or utterly disrespectful to them.

On the other hand Decade, for all its faults with the movies and the cliffhanger ending, gave us a much stronger main character and used the AU settings to evoke the themes of the original shows

How was it disrespectful? I mean come on... They were there to help the current team. How anyone can, with a straight face, stay that the cameos of Mammoth Ranger, Bouken Red and others were disrespectful?

Tsukasa wasn't a stronger character. How can he be strong when the writers would write him as a great caring guy one minute, and a complete douche the next minute with no reason at all given for the change. The AU settings, IMO, didn't evoke anything from the original shows. None of them were even close to being like the worlds from the original shows.

Lets also not forget that main story to DCD. DCD is here to kill all these riders from AU worlds. He is doing it so that the children of the world can remember the ORIGINAL riders (not the AU ones he killed) and bring those riders back to life. Then they will live in the minds of people everywhere.

Seriously. That was the main story to DCD.

Ryotaro was a good actor? Maybe in body language but, if I was judging him on expressing emotion through vocal tone, I wouldn't think much of him.

It's the overall performance that does it, really.

The fact that he had to act five different characters for the show (six if you count Sieg) and was able to make you believe he was each of them is the sign of a really good actor. And even in his "wimpy" voice with Ryotaro he was more than able to express a wide range of emotions.

I don't find anything likeable or lovable about the Decade characters.

It's less about "likeable and lovable" in this case (because they're both jerks in their own ways) and more about "more interesting to watch". I just find Tsukasa's "I'm a jerk to cover up my uncertainties/lonliness or to counter someone else being a bigger jerk" way more interesting than Marvelous' "I'm a jerk because SMUG."

And, yes, I liked some of the coolness. I found it less cloying than a series like, say, Magiranger

I actually don't like Magiranger either. :p

I liked him when he wasn't a god
It's the overall performance that does it, really.

I have to agree that some of the tributes were quite poorly done. A good example would be GaoRed. It's one thing to show a character maturing, but he just came across as this hollow shell of his former self. It was sad.

The fact that he had to act five different characters for the show (six if you count Sieg) and was able to make you believe he was each of them is the sign of a really good actor. And even in his "wimpy" voice with Ryotaro he was more than able to express a wide range of emotions.

I agree with all of this. I don't think Takeru Sato would have become as successful as he is, with some pretty complex roles under his belt, if he had no talent whatsoever.

It's less about "likeable and lovable" in this case (because they're both jerks in their own ways) and more about "more interesting to watch". I just find Tsukasa's "I'm a jerk to cover up my uncertainties/lonliness or to counter someone else being a bigger jerk" way more interesting than Marvelous' "I'm a jerk because SMUG."

Fair enough

I actually don't like Magiranger either. :p

I think I'm too picky about Sentai teams, ha ha :laugh:

How was it disrespectful? I mean come on... They were there to help the current team. How anyone can, with a straight face, stay that the cameos of Mammoth Ranger, Bouken Red and others were disrespectful?

Because, like I said, most of them were rolls that could have just as easily been filled by a generic one-off character with nothing that made it special.

Also, given how the Gokaigers generally just blew off anything the past heroes did as "meh, don't care, we're too cool for you" got REALLY grating REALLY fast.

How can he be strong when the writers would write him as a great caring guy one minute, and a complete douche the next minute with no reason at all given for the change.

Well, except there generally WERE reasons given. They just weren't always point-blank slapped in your face. And as far as not acting the same way all the time it's called "being a nuanced character". I really wish more shows in general would remember what that was.

The AU settings, IMO, didn't evoke anything from the original shows. None of them were even close to being like the worlds from the original shows.

Most of them took a theme or some element from the original show and either exaggerated or explored it in more detail.

For example, Blade was a world where the whole idea of a corporate created Rider was actually followed through instead of being forgotten about after the first episode. Ryuuki took the concept of "everyone's fate will be decided by the Rider Fight" and expanded that to a ludicrously extreme degree.

Seriously. That was the main story to DCD.

Insert Decade has no story here.

And no, that was not EXACTLY the story of Decade. That was the story Wataru told him but Tsukasa pretty much told him to take a flying leap. I mean, the vast majority of the show was Tsukasa doing all he could to NOT live up to that destiny.

The movies are another issue but we're just comparing TV show to TV show here and I'd still say Decade was the more interesting of the two.

Minato Ascending
The movies are another issue but we're just comparing TV show to TV show here and I'd still say Decade was the more interesting of the two.

I don't think you can ignore the movies for Decade because the series only had 31 episodes, and the story did not conclude in the final episode but was actually "resolved" in the All Rider movie, unlike Gokaiger.

I don't think you can ignore the movies for Decade because the series only had 31 episodes, and the story did not conclude in the final episode but was actually "resolved" in the All Rider movie, unlike Gokaiger.

Gokaiger kinda ends on a "To Be Continued" too though, since they head off into space to "start their real battle" after all.

Continuing the Creddie legacy
Definitely Gokaiger... It was lots of fun and more on "doing it for nostalgia for the older fans too" and yes, as others pointed out, didn't rely on AU heroes.

In fact, Decade left a bad taste on me after that controversial 1st ending of the show (you know, where DiEnd *killed* Decade and Natsumi shouting Decade's name? and then, end? I'd rather forget that and enjoy Gokai's ending, where it's off to a new adventure as the veterans thank them for a job well done), so the only thing I enjoyed in Decade were the All Riders movie, the Shinken crossover and the BLACK/RX tribute.

So all in all, I guess Gokaiger was a tribute series that I'll be wanting for more... if it happened. :sweat:

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
Decade should really take a few lessons from Gokaiger regarding "paying tributes to its franchise" :p

I agree. I mean Gokaiger was more of a bigger influence in paying tribute to the franchise, but Decade did it's part on originality for a few of the A.U. Rider worlds.

:sayin:

But, I still enjoyed Gokaiger though.