Which was the better tribute show-KR Decade or Gokaiger?

Digital Artist
Gokaiger is now history and man was it a great ride. I enjoyed the show a lot and thought that the team worked very well together. The performances were amazing and it also helped that they seemed to have chemistry with one another. Many of the tribute episodes served justice to their respective series and it was a joy seeing who returned to give the Grand Powers to the Gokaigers. I enjoyed many of the guest appearances so I can't name them all. I think this series was the perfect tribute show. All the good stuff outweighed the bad stuff.

Decade's execution was pretty cool at first and I had fun watching him go through different worlds to obtain the Rider powers. But it's main flaws were the alternate worlds and that it lasted only 31 episodes. The AU was neat in how it gave us a new unique look into the Heisei Riders worlds. However, because of that, it was hard for us to connect to them. I think the worlds that I enjoyed the most were Faiz, Hibiki, and Kabuto's world. The other flaw of this show was the fact that the main threat of Decade (DaiShocker) finally appeared with less than 10 episodes left. Talk about perfect timing right there. You know, I can go on more and more about Decade's faults but I'm gonna stop there. This is the right time for Narutaki to say, "Onore Decade!"

Last edited:
Banned
Gokaiger. DCD just suffered from god awful writing. Tsukasa would be the nice hero one minute, and the next he would be a douche bag. The over all "story" of DCD was just a joke. IMO there was nothing good about DCD. It is one of the very few toku series that I just can not stand. The so called ending, from the movie, is also insulting.

Decade should really take a few lessons from Gokaiger regarding "paying tributes to its franchise" :p

Gokaiger was awesome! All the former actors & actresses that played every ranger came back in a reunion. I think Gokaiger however needs a gokaiblack.

But Decade? It kinda sucked. 31 episodes, Decade a destroyer. If only Decade was a cyborg instead created by a new shocker to take revenge on all the riders for their defeat. But he has amnesia and meets every rider he encounters to regain these memories.

Dark Decade as the villain and... perhaps new upgrades for the Heisei & showa riders and bring back all the old actors that played them.

Minato Ascending
Gokaiger, hands down. I think it is obvious that Toei learned their lessons from Decade and applied it to Gokaiger, since Gokaiger did not have those AU universe for past sentai teams, recast familiar characters with new actors, nor have inconsistent storytelling that seems to go all over the place. It doesn't help the fact that Decade only had 31 eps (not including movies). Also, Gokaiger actually have alot of likable and/or interesting characters, whereas for Decade the only one who is really interesting to me is the new Kuuga, who gets pretty small role.

Oh, and Gokaiger's cameos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Decade's cameos

People consider getting a lot of the older actors back a good thing for Gokaiger. I'd actually argue the opposite, given how most of them were used in a way that was utterly pointless and/or utterly disrespectful to them.

The vast majority of episodes the cameos were just rolls that could have been filled just as well by any generic one-off character Sentai shows have with no real sense as to why it had to be this particular character from that particular show.

The only good episodes of the show were ones where the old actors were able to act circles around the Gokaiger cast. Granted that's not very hard as, with the exception of Gokaisilver, the main cast of Gokaiger was rather retched.

You have Marvelous, who is without doubt the most odiously unlikable Red in the entire franchise (who can't act beyond one facial expression), Joe who does nothing but push-ups and has a rather dumb back story that was only interesting in the Liveman episode, Don who... the less said about him the better, Luca never really did anything of value or interest, and Aihm who might have been okay if she had ever been allowed to do anything and didn't keep having to share the majority of her focus episodes with Don.

Of course, we would be remiss in not talking about how the villains were utterly pointless and sat on their butts doing nothing of value for most of the show's run. Not to mention the fact they were so harmless most of the time they were a bigger joke than the Bouzok from Carranger. (But at least the Bouzok were a FUNNY joke.) And don't even get me started on Bosco, who amazes me for being an even WORSE actor than Marvelous.

On the other hand Decade, for all its faults with the movies and the cliffhanger ending, gave us a much stronger main character and used the AU settings to evoke the themes of the original shows (even if they were in a warped fun-house mirror way at times). Each AU Rider was important to their world in some way that felt significant (even Faiz, despite being shoved to the back for Diend's debut) and was never really wasted or left me wondering why that particular Rider was being used for the story arc.

Tsukasa is a jerk, there is no denying this. However, unlike Marvelous, Tsukasa at least has reasons for acting like a jerk a lot of the time or if he did get unreasonable in his jerkiness the plot had ways of smacking the taste out of his mouth for it.

It also helps that Inoue is SUCH a better actor than Marvelous'. It's to a degree that their scenes together in the upcoming Super Hero War movie are going to be hilariously one-sided unless Inoue phones it in and given how he seems to genuinely love working on Rider, I doubt that will happen.

And while Decade, even with Dai-Shocker showing up for the last few sets of episodes, never really had a cemented villain group to fight, it did a REALLY good job of establishing that the monsters of each world were legitimate threats, giving actual tension and weight to the fights.

Tsukasa and the Riders of the world he was on at the time had to struggle to defeat each major foe, unlike the Gokaigers who just kinda walked all over everyone right to the very end, and I just prefer the former approach so much more.

TL;DR version: As faulty as it was, I'd take Decade over Gokaiger any day of the week.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I'm going to pick Gokaiger. In particular, I loved the characters, whereas the entire cast of Decade was intensely dislikeable. Decade itself was a hideously pretentious show that tried way too hard to be "dark" and "serious".

As for Masahiro Inoue being an amazing actor ... I found him pretty bad. Whether or not he's better than Marvelous's actor is one thing, but as Rider leads go he is nowhere near the top

In particular, I loved the characters

This is the thing people say positively about Gokaiger that confuses me to no end. There wasn't anything likeable or lovable about them, so why do so many people keep saying there was?

Are they confusing "cool" with "interesting"? Kinda like how people act like Tendou was this amazing character when he was just obnoxious?

As for Masahiro Inoue being an amazing actor ... I found him pretty bad. Whether or not he's better than Marvelous's actor is one thing, but as Rider leads go he is nowhere near the top

I dunno, the only ones I'd say are really BETTER are Godai, Ryotaro and Shotaro/Philip. Kenzaki, Shouichi, Gentaro and Hibiki I'd say are tied with him and the others are just... too bad to talk about.

The new Tendou Souji
I dunno, the only ones I'd say are really BETTER are Godai, Ryotaro and Shotaro/Philip. Kenzaki, Shouichi, Gentaro and Hibiki I'd say are tied with him and the others are just... too bad to talk about.

Ryotaro was a good actor? Maybe in body language but, if I was judging him on expressing emotion through vocal tone, I wouldn't think much of him.