I haven't really seen my fair share of Metal Hero (very little that there is) or Ultraman films, so I choose Kamen Rider.

Kamen Rider. Until I see Ultraman The Next, I still see Shin Kamen Rider as one of the best films of any tv show tokusatsu franchise. Why?

Because it feels like you are watching a film rather than an extended episode. From its horror dynamics to its tragic story of Shin as the eponymous Kamen Rider, which really isn't like the standard one, I'd say it makes for a great film by itself and in the franchise. I also seen ZO, but I might not watch J, and I consider these as good films as well. Though too short in my opinion. The only shortfalls are The First and Next , as well as a few half hours.

Sentai films generally are good, but I've only seen Hurricanger and Abaranger's. Their issue resides with having a good plot , but it is so condensed, you really cannot appreciate it until it ends abruptly. They generally don't have much effort placed into them like the former franchise, which is unfortunate. I'd like to see longer films once every few years for something special for this because frankly, MMPR doesn't serve well as the only feature length Sentai film aside from Turbo. Sure it isn't Sentai, but I'd love to see a full length movie for Sentai to overshadow those.

Ultraman? Never seen one aside from a clip of Ultraman Story. It was pretty awesome, though still for kids. It was kinda like watching Adventure Time and I'd wish more would be covered on Taro. I want to see the Next. I find it strange they have never made a film that was like Gojira for the Ultraman franchise, or a 1984-like film. It would be interesting to see how Ultraman would be handled in a contemporary world.

Koichi Sakamoto brings a new take to toku...

...HAVE THAT MAN DO THE SEQUEL TO KR THE FIRST/THE NEXT:shakefist

Probably a tie between Rider and Ultraman for me, and I haven't even seen that many Ultraman movies. They both have ups and downs, from what I understand (the ones I've seen have all been fantastic), but man when there are good ones, there are some really, really good ones.

The Ranger with the Cowbell
Sentai, they usually pull up a good movie. Kamen Rider has always bumped since Decade and maybe even Den-O I heard.

Koichi Sakamoto brings a new take to toku...

...HAVE THAT MAN DO THE SEQUEL TO KR THE FIRST/THE NEXT:shakefist

Rather him reboot the film series and do it right. Partner with WB like what was done for Kenshin, and give it better budget and production values. But first off: costume design.

The First's costumes other than the two riders sucked. Either they are made to look a bit like kaijin themselves with monstrous versions of the kaijin from the show, or go the Nolan/Marvel route and make it a technological horror/drug-induced hallucination. Think Human Centipede but with cybernetics. Shin Kamen Rider through J had a few things right: the costume design, drama and the organic aspects of the kaijin.

Issue I got with the First is that for a film that strives to be a realistic take on the 1971 hit series, it feels like General Hospital's worst storytelling and delves in equally ridiculous concepts that do not exist consistently throughout. Nigo isn't evil, he's just a jerk that wants to bang the love of your life and replace you. Yep, that's it. Your equal in physical and mental prowess doesn't want to kill you just because he's SHOCKER and you're a traitor. He wants your woman without any pretense, and then gets shoved into the background like a forever-alone meme once he becomes good.

The villains' backstories and the subplots feels like I'm watching Zaido [albeit a better budgeted and choreographed version], and it builds up to nothing. There's no reluctance to being evil and their actions make them feel like moustache-twirling villain and his wife in Dudley Do Right. They're just plain petty. If they were reluctant villains and interacted with the main characters, it would feel far more coherent and impacting. I'd kinda love if Viper Girl was also the love interest's best friend to bring even more conflict to her being with SHOCKER: Does she follow her leaders' orders and make her bereft of the love of her life, or does she betray them and her love to help her bff?

But from the excess of backstory and subplots that matter not to the film's progression, its a hugely missed opportunity. The choreo was good, the cinematography was awesome, but the suits, effects, writing,and acting were nothing like I have come to expect from hero film adaptations.

I'm going with Ultraman.

I've had more enjoyment from both Ultraman Mebius & Ultra Brothers and Superior Ultraman 8 Brothers than the majority of the Hesei Kamen Rider and Super Sentai movies I've seen, especially in the crossover department.

The crossover elements in those 2 movies I've mentioned don't feel as much gimmicky or fanservice-like as the Rider and Sentai films. I at least felt there was effort put into the stories that have those heroes team up plus Superior Ultraman 8 Brothers did the whole alternate universe thing better in one movie than the entire Kamen Rider Decade series and movie spinoffs not to mention Mebius did the anniversary thing better too.

Also the Ultrman movies felt like actual movies too me than the 2 more popular toku franchise. I also like the soundtracks in most of the recent Ultraman films because they feel like they fit the tone of the films while I felt that with just a few Kamen Rider films.

Also Ultraman The Next >>>>>> Kamen Rider The First and The Next IMO

Shyni
I want to see the Next. I find it strange they have never made a film that was like Gojira for the Ultraman franchise, or a 1984-like film. It would be interesting to see how Ultraman would be handled in a contemporary world.
By "1984", do you mean Return of Godzilla? I haven't seen that, but The Next is basically "how Ultraman would be handled in a contemporary world", since the setting is much closer to the real world than in other versions.

"あぁあぁっーー…!いぃやあ…あ"
I like all Tokusatsu movie but Super Sentai has been better in the last 5 or 6 years