Which Kamen Rider series would you like to have remade/rebooted?

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Well, so far, I've only seen Heisei seasons & only completed two of them- Kabuto & Kiva- but, I would watch a reworked version of Fourze where they cleaned it up & actually went somewhere with all of their awesome potential plotlines & ideas.

Would also like to have the original Rider come to the US as a 100% original footage superhero drama. That kind of weird & wacky stuff is in right now, anyway, what with Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, The Flash & Gotham. It might be the best possible time to try such a thing out.

And then they could start bringing over the newer shows in the classic Power Rangers fashion for younger audiences (meaning just use English-speaking actors. KR can afford to copy & paste the show... except minor changes to make it make more sense, in some cases)

OOO and Fourze are good the way they are prolly two of my favorite recent rider shows next to Double & Decade.

OOO had some good ideas but was hampered by the half-hearted attempt to be Den-O lite a lot of the time, and completely insane (in a bad way) characters like Maki and Kougami. I remember rumors saying it would have a Buddhist theme to its story; while it is there somewhat, I would've liked to have had it really expounded upon.

Fourze too could get too silly for its own good, especially with Yuki and Gentaro. Additionally, I'd like to have seen a more Volt (from Liveman) like approach to the Horoscopes instead of the MOTW route they went, and a creepier tone. You have an alien cult running a school to look for recruits with which it can warp up to meet a bunch of ETs. That needs a bit more emphasis; not the misadventures of Ohsugi the Suspenders Man.

Lolstillno. Not being a masochist doesn't mean you're weak. It means you're sane, unlike those people who insist on watching something they clearly don't enjoy. It's not like watching toku is required for college credit or is something you can put on your resume when trying for that promotion.

Bad special effects = bad special effects. Age is an excuse, but it doesn't make it any more watchable.

And yet you still watch modern Rider and Sentai? Most people outside of Japan (and maybe even in there, considering modern Toku's low ratings) would consider the special effects even in Toei's current shows laughable. Maybe there's something about the pre-digital effects that pretty much make them unwatchable to you, but arguing that someone is being a "masochist" for enjoying them is really silly if you watch the current series with their own poor effects anyway.

A remake likely would never work because it seems like no writer is satisfied in merely updating the originals, they want to do their own spin on things which basically results in it being the same in name only. A remake should only be done if it's something like the first volume of Shin Spirits, which adds new events and more to the characters and stories of the original show without actually changing the events that were actually on screen at all, but I don't think there's anyone in Toei with interest in doing something like that, considering how they never make remakes true to the original.

Last edited:
I would be interested in a remake of Kuuga and Agito connecting the two stories, perhaps even as a joint film/series. I would either have Agito's events ensue shortly after the beginning of Kuuga's, and/or even tie-in some of them together like having Grongi/Linto artifacts on the boat incident.

I also remember some fans pretty much expecting takes on later Showa riders after The Next so I'd enjoy that continuing assuming they'd be good.

I would continue to laugh at how weak you are ("masochism?" Really now?) and how really petty and bad that arguement is , but now I'm just perplexed by what sort of bizarre and quite frankly arbitrary and joyless standards of "good effects" do you have when a show from 70's to 80's is bad but modern day stuff that still uses the same techniques but with bad CG is any better.

Unless the idea of possibly capturing a glimpse of strings holding a monster gives you chronic pain, to which I will say I am very sorry for you.

Those arguments make absolutely no sense. If you can't subjectively say that 70s and 80s special effects are bad compared to modern ones, I can't help you. You probably need to have your nostalgia filters removed. Compare for example 80s giant monster effects to those on Go-Busters and Kyoryuger. Or transformation sequences from Black and Fourze (Gaim kinda cheats on this).

There's no contest: It's not even a matter of opinion.

And yet you still watch modern Rider and Sentai? Most people outside of Japan (and maybe even in there, considering modern Toku's low ratings) would consider the special effects even in Toei's current shows laughable.

Probably. But still WAY better than 70s and 80s.

Maybe there's something about the pre-digital effects that pretty much make them unwatchable to you, but arguing that someone is being a "masochist" for enjoying them is really silly if you watch the current series with their own poor effects anyway.

No, I'm arguing that "I"m not going to be a masochist and yes, I think they're unwatchable. Little kids most likely do, too, because I can't for the life of me get my nephew to appreciate Kaku despite the nice story, and that's a 90s series. He gets instantly turned off by the visuals.

Last edited:
Harumph.
Not sure if there is a similar thread, but I always thought Kamen Rider Kabuto had lots of potential, was randomly put together with no overarching plot besides the enemy being ZECT or Worms/Native Worms with the ending just being a major slap to the face to everyone who watched and enjoyed the series as it was progressing.

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't remake any of them. At this point, I would rather welcome actually new ideas instead of recycling something just because I don't feel it was "made right" or whatever.

Those arguments make absolutely no sense. If you can't subjectively say that 70s and 80s special effects are bad compared to modern ones, I can't help you. You probably need to have your nostalgia filters removed. Compare for example 80s giant monster effects to those on Go-Busters and Kyoryuger. Or transformation sequences from Black and Fourze (Gaim kinda cheats on this).

There's no contest: It's not even a matter of opinion.

I'm pretty sure it is, in fact, a matter of opinion. The opinion being "Cheap or unsuccessful effects do NOT ruin the enjoyment of a show."

Obviously one you happen not to share.

I'm pretty sure it is, in fact, a matter of opinion. The opinion being "Cheap or unsuccessful effects do NOT ruin the enjoyment of a show."

Obviously one you happen not to share.

If we go reduction absurdum, a hypothetical cardboard boxes Rider will almost definitely take the enjoyment out of the show (unless its a flat-out parody), so I'd say that for everyone, there is a limit to how cheap or unsuccessful special effects can be to not ruin enjoyment.

With modern shows, that average limit (i.e. standard) for everyone has gone way higher.

Harumph.
If we go reduction absurdum, a hypothetical cardboard boxes Rider will almost definitely take the enjoyment out of the show (unless its a flat-out parody), so I'd say that for everyone, there is a limit to how cheap or unsuccessful special effects can be to not ruin enjoyment.

With modern shows, that average limit (i.e. standard) for everyone has gone way higher.

You're talking about the most extreme situation which could only be achievable by making it crap on purpose. However bad they might get, there is no 70s or 80s Kamen Rider that looks quite as bad as the picture you paint. Besides, they're all made out of cloth and foam rubber.

At any rate, I personally think the effects are serviceable. No better or worse than the oft weightless CGI of late. But you'll probably just call me delusional or something, so I'm gonna end my involvement right here.

Guillotine Gorilla

Because judging old shows' effects by modern standards is always a fair and smart move and by your logic everything that is airing now will be automatically crappy and unwatchable in two decades. Does that mean then, we should remake them two decades later to "actually be watchable"?

Everything ages eventually, so your insistence on how a show from the Showa era is unforgivable because of its age here is still very petty.

And weak.