What would the Kamen Rider franchise be like today if Shotaro Ishimori didn't die?

So what if Shotaro Ishimori didn't die back in 1998 and how different would Kamen Rider be today? Would we still get shows yearly if Ishimori original new Rider was a big hit? I hear Kuuga was based on ideas that Ishimori had back in 1996-1997 before he died, but I'm not sure if that's 100% true or not.

It was supposedly mentioned during it's early promotion that Kuuga was based on notes Ishinomori had left behind for an anniversary Rider. Whenever I've seen it brought up it seems to vary as to whether it was meant to be for the 25th anniversary (which was two years before he died, in which case I guess he couldn't get it greenlit) or the 30th (which he sadly didn't live to see). Either way, these supposed notes have never been made public so there's no way of knowing what Ishinomori intended or how much of what we saw on screen was based on his ideas. For all we know, it could just have been made up by the marketing dept.

There's always been a rumour that Hibiki was based around a manga concept that Ishinomori left behind (although he intended for it to be it's own thing, not a Rider). Again, I've never seen anything that proves or disproves this.

If he'd still been alive, Heisei Rider would not exist as we know it. After all, regardless of how much truth there is in the above rumours, all the Heisei Rider shows were made with other people at the wheel. I suspect he wouldn't have liked having Riders with non-insect themes or getting really gimmick-heavy. But then again, who knows? After all, ZO and J were bankrolled and "co-produced" by Bandai. Without the push from the commercial side it's a lot more likely that Heisei Rider might have ended pretty quickly. After all, Showa Rider had it's initial five year stint and thereafter never managed to stay on the air for more than two straight years. Heck, he was still making new TV shows right until the end; Maybe we'd have had a lot less Rider but a variety of other toku shows partnering Sentai on Sunday mornings?

Lurker
I think had he been alive, Rider will probably be what Metal Heroes is today, a dusted show from the past with occasional anniversary projects

It was supposedly mentioned during it's early promotion that Kuuga was based on notes Ishinomori had left behind for an anniversary Rider. Whenever I've seen it brought up it seems to vary as to whether it was meant to be for the 25th anniversary (which was two years before he died, in which case I guess he couldn't get it greenlit) or the 30th (which he sadly didn't live to see). Either way, these supposed notes have never been made public so there's no way of knowing what Ishinomori intended or how much of what we saw on screen was based on his ideas. For all we know, it could just have been made up by the marketing dept.

There's always been a rumour that Hibiki was based around a manga concept that Ishinomori left behind (although he intended for it to be it's own thing, not a Rider). Again, I've never seen anything that proves or disproves this.

If he'd still been alive, Heisei Rider would not exist as we know it. After all, regardless of how much truth there is in the above rumours, all the Heisei Rider shows were made with other people at the wheel. I suspect he wouldn't have liked having Riders with non-insect themes or getting really gimmick-heavy. But then again, who knows? After all, ZO and J were bankrolled and "co-produced" by Bandai. Without the push from the commercial side it's a lot more likely that Heisei Rider might have ended pretty quickly. After all, Showa Rider had it's initial five year stint and thereafter never managed to stay on the air for more than two straight years. Heck, he was still making new TV shows right until the end; Maybe we'd have had a lot less Rider but a variety of other toku shows partnering Sentai on Sunday mornings?

Makes sense to me.

I think had he been alive, Rider will probably be what Metal Heroes is today, a dusted show from the past with occasional anniversary projects

good point.

Wow! I actually wanted to write this topic but didn't manage to. Pretty much what I think about.
Though to add: do you think Ishinomori would use non-bug ideas for Riders? And why did the Showa Era didn't run every year unlike the Heisei era?

I found some images on the Kamen Rider wiki that Isimori draw some ideas for a Rider show where the riders had no mouth pieces similar to Riderman.

latest?cb=20150126125416.jpg

I found some images on the Kamen Rider wiki that Isimori draw some ideas for a Rider show where the riders had no mouth pieces similar to Riderman.

latest?cb=20150126125416.jpg

I bet this is where they got the idea for Gaim's design (the helmet).

I bet this is where they got the idea for Gaim's design (the helmet).
TBH I doubt it. Urobuchi did mention in an interview that at one point he phoned Ishinomori Productions. They told him he was the first person from a Rider show's production team to contact them in years. And writers don't design the suits.

I can't imagine a Rider show where the main rider has no mouth pieces. From what I remember in a interview with Bluefin that people in Japan like their superheros with a face that covers their whole face. Which is why Tamashii created a new head for SHF Batman for the Japanese collectors.

TBH I doubt it. Urobuchi did mention in an interview that at one point he phoned Ishinomori Productions. They told him he was the first person from a Rider show's production team to contact them in years. And writers don't design the suits.

I see. The first in years? Why I suddenly feel uncomfortable about that...weird.