What is your favorite world/setting for a video game?

There are a lot of games out there with great settings. For me the Mass Effect Series, Final Fantasy VII, and Morrowind spring to mind as being especially unique and interesting. What is your favorite game world and why?

I have yet to play the games you mentioned. Skyrim easily falls on the top of my list. I really like the large scale environment, especially with the available texture mods that can make it impressive. Currently, I am playing Far Cry 3 and I really enjoy it. I am a guy who likes a challenge, so I added difficulty mods on Far Cry and the jungle environment is now much more enjoyable than it's default.

Call me old fashioned but I LOVE RPGs with the medieval-era magical fantasy world settings like Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda series, the classic Final Fantasy games and Dragon Quest.

It's fun to get immersed in the feeling of living in another era that is so much different from ours. :D

I like the medieval European fantasy settings an awful lot, too, but my favorite right now would still be Ivalice, the way it was shown in Final Fantasy XII, even though it was sort of a medieval-European-fantasy blend with Indian and Middle Eastern.

I grew up in Indonesia, so I really appreciated the cultural influence of the gamelan and wayang in the Tomb of Raithwall. There are so many other cultures to influence fantasy and to make fantastic as a tribute, so I very much appreciate the variety.

The deserts were splendid, and I really never thought that I could say that about the desert.

I liked that there were wet and dry seasons, so it isn't all temperate climate northern-hemisphere based worldbuilding.

It just occurred to me that Ashelia's uncle's kingdom with the big flower petals that I thought was immensely impractical for a palace even though it looked cool, could have been influenced by the cosmic lotus in Hindu cosmology. It just gets cooler!

My favorite game world would have to be the world of Xenogears. Its world was full of wonder. It was a joy to explore. The towns, villages, and cities were full of life. Wherever I went, I saw something interesting. I miss the world of Xenogears. I feel like revisiting it again. Actually I've replayed the game numerous times in the past already. :)

My favorite game world would have to be the world of Xenogears. Its world was full of wonder. It was a joy to explore. The towns, villages, and cities were full of life. Wherever I went, I saw something interesting. I miss the world of Xenogears. I feel like revisiting it again. Actually I've replayed the game numerous times in the past already. :)

Giant robots and flying cities are indeed way cool, but war-torn worlds tend to really suck. Maybe all adventures culminate in some kind of war, but remember... some of the flying city people were pulling a Soylent Green and eating people! I wouldn't want to live there. Well, maybe in one of the small villages. No, no, wait, no never mind...not a small happy village in a fantasy adventure RPG. No. Nnno.

That said, I do wish the companies that collaborated to make that game would get together for a graphics update. Imagine walking through the cathedral with the one-winged angels, rendered with the same polish as FFXIII!

Giant robots and flying cities are indeed way cool, but war-torn worlds tend to really suck. Maybe all adventures culminate in some kind of war, but remember... some of the flying city people were pulling a Soylent Green and eating people! I wouldn't want to live there. Well, maybe in one of the small villages. No, no, wait, no never mind...not a small happy village in a fantasy adventure RPG. No. Nnno.

That said, I do wish the companies that collaborated to make that game would get together for a graphics update. Imagine walking through the cathedral with the one-winged angels, rendered with the same polish as FFXIII!

Actually, a lot of gaming companies nowadays have been experimenting with Virtual Reality Gaming! Such as the Oculus Rift
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game
or Project Morpheus,
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...oject-morpheus-virtual-reality-console-gaming
so one day walking through medieval European towns while wielding swords, bow, arrows & magic can become a reality!

We live in some exciting times! :) Hahaha

Top of the list for me has to be the irradiated wasteland of Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent New Vegas, because well deserts already look like nuclear wastelands. Not to mention the massive potential for modding your game, almost turning it into something different, essentially putting more stuff in the game world. I won't include any of the Elder Scroll games, but not because they're not good games, I'm just not that into them.

Secondly it would have to be the Mass Effect universe. While not as open world as any of the Bathesda games still compelling enough in its own right and coincidentally, why its number 2 for me. If the Mass Effect games could be opened to modding on a similar scale to Fallout or Elder Scrolls, the possibilities would be endless and would turn an already great universe into something truly awe inspiring.

Either a fantasy world, such as Warcraft, a sci-fi universe, like Halo, or an immersive city, full of life like GTA. These are my favourite settings for games, movies and even books.

I don't think I ommited anything. Oh, also, Skyrim is another good example of a world done right.