In the past games we have protagonists named Cloud,Lightning,Noctis,Bartz,Squall,Tidus,Terra,etc.

The Final Fantasy characters are known for having unique and original names. Now out of nowhere we have someone named Joshua, Clive and Jill. Very generic common names. It is like having characters named John, Chris and Ashley. I am pretty sure someone here have a grandpa or grandma named Joshua and Jill. Clive is less common but it is very bland was boiled water. Who named these characters?

Clive is not really a common name. If you think about it. I think they decided to have simpler name for this game to make them easier to relate with. I mean in real life who will name their son Cloud or Noctics? Who will name their daughters Rinoa or White mage?

Actually they just switched the names of Clive and Joshua. "Joshua" was still the main character but he switched names with his brother due to the complaints.

I think Clive is a better name and Joshua is his younger brother. They share a friend called Jill.

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jill is an Iconic name! Jill Valentine from Resident evil is one great example. You should be mad if the girl is named Karen.

Ever Since 2020 I have a feeling no one is going to name their daughters Karen ever again. That name is ruined forever. We may find these names generic but to Japanese people these names sounds exotic. I mean in the Japanese release of Final Fantasy VI, Terra is named Tina.

At least they are not named Billy Bob. I still laugh whenever I remember that character from Integrade.

I like the simple names because real life people have such names. No on is named Squall,Rinoa,Lightning or Cloud in real life.

This is a Japanese Game so for Japanese players those names are exotic enough.

Clive is the only playable character so he is the only one with a unique name.