Music What Is Happening To Music?

I blame autotune. It's very popular in mainstream music but makes all singers sound weirdly similar.

But that's "radio" music. You don't have to go very far beyond that to find that there is more great music than ever before, it's easier to find, make, and listen to than ever before imo.

Search around for some music blogs that do recommendations in a genre you like and soon you'll find it hard to keep up.

Why do you even care about mainstream music? The majority of mainstream music has always been made to appeal to the widest audience possible, which means a lot of it is going to be watered down. The only time I had to endure listening to the radio was at a grocery store I used to work at. Since then, I rarely ever have to listen to the radio. People complaining about a lack of originality in an age where almost everything can be found on the internet boggle my mind.

I generally avoid most radio stations nowadays. Their scripted hyperactive DJs who say the exact same thing and play the exact same shallow pop songs at the exact time of day became too much for me to handle after I entered high school.

There's a couple of jazz stations owned by local colleges that I listen to nowadays (one of them especially plays alternative music from around the world on late weeknights). It's one hell of a breath of fresh air from the common commercialized dreck. I also stay away from most music videos that go conspicuously "viral" online. That helps, too.

Personally, there's nothing happening to music. As i've said before, you're not looking for it and relying on radio, popular internet and TV to bring it to you.

Why do you even care about mainstream music?

Thank you. Someone who speaks sense!

I agree with you... I really dislike nowadays music! Specially because I don't like to follow the trends and I don't seem to be inteterested in that ''magic formula'' of music everyone is talking about :p I just don't get it!

To be honest 90's music was WAAY better; back then it was like everyone was trying to be as original as possible! No one wanted to sound like everyone else; everyone was fighting to find their own sound. Now it'd seem as if everyone is trying to copy the style of a popular artist, so they can also be as popular as that artist. I blame all this on greediness! Music videos used to be way better back then, btw!

I agree. The videos are quite redundant of what someone else has already done. We might get some changes for the holidays. When the holidays are done, lets see a new direction with the videos. Something that they never done before.

Yeah, I've noticed most music artists aren't interested at all in standing out in the crowd! They just copy each other, in a very tacky and shameless way, I must add. Of course there are some exceptions, but sadly some decades ago this wasn't the exception, but the rule! I honestly don't bother a lot with today's music, al least not mainstream one. But I do miss seeing good videos on MTV... original and interesting ones (I'm thinking of black hole sun by sound garden).

It's sad how the mainstream scene is making horrible music these days. I find no variety whatsoever. Even the imaging, branding and acts are all the same. This is why I prefer underground and indie music. Those people verging to it are the real musicians as far as I know.

I despise today's music and I hate how that makes me sound old LOL. There is very little talent anymore and the talent that is out there is all commercialized and tweaked until it's a totally different monster. Or rather, one of the exact same monsters it's surrounded by. It does all sound the same and leaves very little for those of us with far different tastes. I liked most music back in the day.. so my taste was all over the place. Now though, it seems everything is written for little girls because they're the ones screaming and throwing their money at it most.

I love reading these arguments how "music was better back in the day" and "it all sounds the same" and "it sucks now."

Guess what? That applies to ALL music from ALL decades; it's not a new thing. Elvis and the Beatles weren't universally loved in the 50s and 60s. Frank Sinatra wasn't universally loved in the 30s and 40s. Back when they were new, they were disliked for the same reasons that you would complain about the Backstreet Boys in the 90s or Justin Bieber today.

Since we're younger, we've had time to get used to the artists of our day, and as we got older, we developed a filter against the newer artists simply because we longed for the stuff we grew up with and we didn't like anything that sounded alien or unfamiliar.

Sure, we might not like them, but guess what? Tough luck. We don't like them the same way our parents and grandparents didn't like the popular artists of their day. Today, their albums are more popular than ever. (Funny how that works out.) That's the way it's always been and will be. Either embrace it or continue hardening that filter, because the industry is not going back to the days of yore, no matter how much you want it to. It's going to continue to be samey and appeal to the "rebellious youth" because it's the most profitable.

I'm sure everyone already knows this.. it's very easy to see that older generations have despised the earlier generations' music. You might not notice but, there are very young people answering this thread too... it says a lot in my opinion. I'm seeing more and more young people listening to the music I and my parents listened to. Not that I'm old, but I'm not in high school throwing my money at music anymore either. My oldest hates today's music too as do many of his friends. It's harder to find the talent because the age of tech is creating synthetic sounds in it's place and making horrible singers sound wonderful. Those with true talent have a following and deserve it, but I don't know of a time until now where they relied on anything but their talent. Good music still exists.. there's just more weeding involved.