Tech what do you do with that old pc

Here is a question for everyone. When it comes time to get a new computer, do you discard the old computer, or do you use it for another purpose, such as a media server or hardware router/firewall. Your thoughts?

Here is a question for everyone. When it comes time to get a new computer, do you discard the old computer, or do you use it for another purpose, such as a media server or hardware router/firewall. Your thoughts?
I usually use my old PC for running offline software. I also use the hard drive, as it seems, I can never have enough space. I will also put my old PC in the guest room when people stop by.

I've given my old Desktop's away for free. First one went to my nephew who uses it for Minecraft, second went to a poor coworker who has never had a PC before in his life. I could honestly use the money but I'd rather help someone who doesn't have the means to do it themself.

It only seems right to give old tech away to someone who can use it. An old PC
that doesn't cut it any more due to speed limitations or new software demands
would still be perfect for someone who only uses the web or does light word
processing. I have found that some people can afford new tech, but are
intimidated by all of the choices, and are grateful to have hand-me-downs
that come with friendly tech support. They, in turn, donated the "extra" money
to charity.

I've only had one desktop in my whole life, and that was back when I was around 12 or 13? I've had it for a while until I moved somewhere else, and I've decided to sell it. I don't really replace my stuff unless I know that it's almost done for, and when that happens I usually just keep it or sell it when there's an opportunity.

Sits in a closet with hopes to get salvaged at some point in the future...
I have used a couple of old HDD's for some Altcoin mining rigs I built for a couple of friends but I think that's about it.

I usually take out any parts worth saving or selling and then put up an offer to have someone pick it up for free. I typically run my computer until it won't run anymore so there isn't much worth saving in the end. I would probably try selling a laptop if I upgraded though.

I always give mine away too. I gave the last one to the local women's shelter for the kids to use as it was still fine for basic tasks. I'm glad it is still in use!