the baddest *****
All the shitty effects and costumes and cars and bikes and all that grainy **** and where's the CG come on guys booooooring

All the people that bad mouth the current gen because they demand the showa era is the best.
This is one aspect that turns me off from trying a lot of the older shows. I see a lot of comments that infer that one is not a true Kamen Rider fan if he or she has not seen / is not a fan of the older Rider shows.

Otherwise, I guess it's the overall feel of shows from the Showa era. I have found a few shows I enjoy, but in most, the ways they act, the effects, the aesthetic aspects...I dunno, I guess it's just, in most cases, not my cup of tea.

Mad Skillz
Probably the only thing that really bothers me is that some shows can be a little more...episodic, I suppose, other than that, I'm fine with shouwa Kamen Rider. I actually really love all the vintage aesthetic and junk since it is what got me into tokusatsu in the first place.
They ride bikes.

Seriously, who the hell rides bikes?

Damn straight, they need to get with the times and rider smart cars.

I have a fear of things like old kids TV puppets and old tokusatsu with the really creepy tattered monsters and primary colours and those pink alien mice things. :disappoin

Mr. Kamen Rider
NOTHING THEY'RE PERFECT AND IF YOU DISAGREE I'LL STAB YOU.

Okay seriously. The main problems I find in the Shôwa series are the exact same problems I find in the Heisei series: underdeveloped ideas, sometimes half-hearted scripting and occasionally confused direction. It's not something native to them or even to just Kamen Rider. V3's the main case of this. As everybody knows I like that show a helluva lot, but I have to admit that the show dropped the ball with Junko, and specifically her relationship to Kazami. Great character, gets basically forgotten about over time, and the ending is far from satisfying as far as she goes. Plus, I don't care what you say- she knew all along! Maybe Spirits will go some way to make up for this (it certainly has done so with a couple other things) but it's still one of Rider's biggest disappointments for me.

Some other shows make the same stumbles- Super-1' second half ain't all it could've been, although it does give us a cracktastic meta-fictional episode that's yet to be beat, plus a good ending. RX is kind of a mess at times although it's got some good ideas. And Stronger's pretty by-the-numbers until the latter half, although to be fair it's got villain-in-fighting and Kamen Rider hadn't really done much of that before this. See, there's always some good to go with the bad.

I would say that girls in general don't get it very well in the old shows, but on the other hand, I don't think they get it that much better in the new shows either. There's more overtly strong female characters, but they're only allowed to be so much. We're getting there, though. Also, Shôwa did give us Tackle. I don't care what you think about her, but her last episode is pretty ballsy and says some big things for 1975. As I think Shougo once said, Kamen Rider's still a boys' club though. I can't deny that, although I do think female characters were better off in Shôwa Kamen Rider than in a lot of other Tokusatsu from the 70's.

The other stuff, the stuff that gets trotted out again and again (wah wah costumes, wah wah effects, wah wah no CGI in the 1970's)... I could give a rat's ass about any of that. I love the old Rider suits and I even like the simplicity (or cheapness) of the effects. They're old, yes, get over it. The new stuff will be old some day and your kids are going to laugh at Faiz's giant-ass phone, so learn to accept things and move on. I think it sort of says something that the Riders people get most excited over at the stage shows (and I'm talking about the screaming teenage girls behind me) are the oldest guys! Because there's a sort of quirky mythicn-ess to them. Everybody knows they're just wearing gym clothes and biker gloves, but that's a look that changed TV and kicked off a franchise. I like the high-tech high-quality suits we got now, but the classics are awesome in their own right.

The stories aren't the most complicated but damned if there isn't some deep stuff in them all. Shôwa did subtlety and undertones, but even then there's a lot of great visual motifs. Look at the philosophical differences of X-Rider/Apollo Geist (or more specifically, their costumes.) Look at the highly implied, totally downplayed relationship between Jô and Yuriko in Stronger. There's something there and once again, Tackle's last episode cuts loose with it. Look at the pretty amazing way the 8 Riders movie tells a cohesive narrative even when on the surface, it just seems to be all 1979 synths and funky dancing robot spacemen. The new stuff can get in deep with the characters and the plots but the old stuff's doing it too.

And can I just say again that once you've read some of the comics, everything on TV looks A LOT better. Like, worlds better. Because the TV series never stooped as low as having the Riders fight the Statue of fucking Liberty.

Now somebody please go make a "What do you like about Shôwa Riders" thread before I turn this one into it. :p

Last edited:
Of what I've seen, there are some writing missteps and lost plotlines here and there, but they were simpler times and that stuff kinda can get handwaved away. I enjoyed, that like the following Heisei Era, they took chances. Riderman (from V3), Amazon, Sky Rider are all interesting ideas that they took a chance on. I think these shows kinda stick out to me, when people say some Heisei Rider are not "Kamen Rider"s. Kamen Rider is about heroic spirit. Taking a negative in your own life and making it a positive for everyone else. Not just bug eyes.

The other stuff, the stuff that gets trotted out again and again (wah wah costumes, wah wah effects, wah wah no CGI in the 1970's)... I could give a rat's ass about any of that. I love the old Rider suits and I even like the simplicity (or cheapness) of the effects. They're old, yes, get over it.

I doubt anyone can say anything about that. They did the best with what they had. And in fact, many of the things they did were rather ballasy and innovative when you think in that context.

It's like ragging on Clash of the Titans' stop-motion animation. Product of a different time.