What differentiated 70s and early 80s Sentai, Rider, and Metal Hero?

I'm watching Gavan right now and have noticed that, despite the fantasy elements, a lot of the Makuu's modus operandi is similar to the "terrorist-based" villains of early Sentai and Showa Rider, actually of toku in general of that time. That brought me to wonder, other than mechas what were the differences between Showa Rider, the Space Sheriffs and the earliest Sentais (Goranger - Sun Vulcan or Goggle V)? What distinguished one from the other. Even the common characteristics in Rider appear in other shows.

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
What differentiates the early Showa-era Riders, Sentai and Metal Heroes you say?!

One purpose...........different speculations of the ideal of fighting for Justice, more hard-hitting dramatic fighting scenes and most importantly, a great use of developing the characters' key role in the series.

From my admittedly sketchy knowledge of late 70s/early 80s tokusatsu I'd say it came down to general themes. Kamen Rider was the solo cyborg dedicated to fighting an evil organization, Super Sentai was the task force (usually with at least some law enforcement/military aspect in the early days), and Metal Heroes had the whole outer space angle (at least up through Spielban).

Based on what I've seen, it seems like, after Battle Fever, when the Sentai franchise was officially created, they tried to avoid big colorful characters for a long time, while, in Rider, you had heroes like Stronger and Amazon and a side-kick like Gan Gan G - even something like Hongo's cyborg angst is something you wouldn't see from a Sentai character at the time in any consistent basis (outside of episodic plots).

Aside from that, there's the villain structure - Rider stuck with a single active commander format for a long time, using a few unique structures once in a while (like the episodes where Shinigami returns in the original show, two commanders in Stronger's first half and also Stronger's second half, where every enemy was a commander) only changing to the standard multiple commanders format with the second half of Super-1, while Sentai jumped on the idea of multiple commanders around at once interacting with each other constantly as soon as it was 'officially' created.

There's also the obvious difference that Rider had crossovers between different shows in the series themselves and in the movies, while "official" Sentai was completely standalone (With the only crossover being Goranger Vs JAKQ, two series which weren't considered Super Sentai at the time) and even the Space Xeriffs, although also in a single continuity, generally avoided proper crossovers.

Regarding the Rider-specific elements and themes, I don't think they really appeared significantly in Sentai or Space Xeriff, aside from the mode of operation of the early evil organizations. You could see them in some other Ishinomori shows though.

As far as technical aspects go:

-Before Skyrider, Rider seemed to avoid ending every battle with the same finisher attacks every time - even Skyrider itself mixes things up later though thanks to all the past Riders popping up.

-Early to mid 70s Toei toku shows didn't seem to have green screen techniques.

-The action becomes faster in the late 70s and early 80s.

-In the 80s, they started favoring shooting in a few specific locations, including that infamous grayish rocky area that Toei reused up to the 90s. In 80s shows, you could often see heroes jumping from anywhere in the world and ending up there for their battles.

Last edited: