Nothing. I am caught up on anything older I would want to watch, and all the new stuff is either lame crap like Bleach and Naruto or lame fanservice anime about incest or other boring stupid ideas.

LOL. People who like Super Sentai/Kamen Rider but can't get into shonen puzzle me. I mean, at LEAST try Gintama.

Nice post!!
With shounen stuff, I'm very finicky about art style. I also don't like to watch anime that are direct adaptations of manga, since in that case I'd really rather just read the original manga. I make a few exceptions for shows like Saint Seiya where the manga is, honestly, a lot uglier than the anime ended up being.

In the case of Gintama, I don't like the art style all that much and its sense of humor isn't all that remarkable compared to, say, Yakitate!! Japan's. Granted, on the whole, when I read shounen stuff I much prefer Shounen GanGan, Shounen Ace and Shounen Sunday properties to Shounen Jump ones.

I think the last thing Shounen Jump ran that I really cared about was... Hikaru no Go? And editorial completely dicked it over the way they ended up dicking over Death Note and Saint Seiya and lots of other properties. Kekkaishi I'd still be reading if the scanslations didn't get so bad after the first arc ends.

With shounen stuff, I'm very finicky about art style. I also don't like to watch anime that are direct adaptations of manga, since in that case I'd really rather just read the original manga. I make a few exceptions for shows like Saint Seiya where the manga is, honestly, a lot uglier than the anime ended up being.

Understandable. A lot of people are like that. Me, I like seeing the illustrations in motion, hearing the voices and the music--it creates a brand-new level of enjoyment--even if I've already read the chapters an episode is adapting. Still, I prefer manga to anime generally for one reason I'm certain is fairly obvious, the one series avoiding that reason being Yu Yu Hakusho.

In the case of Gintama, I don't like the art style all that much and its sense of humor isn't all that remarkable compared to, say, Yakitate!! Japan's. Granted, on the whole, when I read shounen stuff I much prefer Shounen GanGan, Shounen Ace and Shounen Sunday properties to Shounen Jump ones.

I think the last thing Shounen Jump ran that I really cared about was... Hikaru no Go? And editorial completely dicked it over the way they ended up dicking over Death Note and Saint Seiya and lots of other properties. Kekkaishi I'd still be reading if the scanslations didn't get so bad after the first arc ends.

Y'know what's sad? I don't even know what any of the different magazines publish anymore, other than Shounen Jump = Bleach and Naruto. Offhand, do you know which one does Blazer Drive?

Nice post!!
Y'know what's sad? I don't even know what any of the different magazines publish anymore, other than Shounen Jump = Bleach and Naruto. Offhand, do you know which one does Blazer Drive?

It runs in Monthly Shounen Rival alongside Holy Talker, Emma, Zettai Hakase Kolisc, Kitsune no Yomeiri, Buster Keel, Akatsuki, and Spray King. The only one of those manga I'm familiar with is Emma, which is just ridiculously good.

Currently... I'm following... Keroro... and Keroro... I just really like this little show. The humor works for me and I really like the large amount of subtle references, not only the usual intrusive shout outs, it has. No subs, but I've already given up on the idea of subs ever catching up with the show for a long time.

Well, I watched a few new series too, but didn't keep watching any this time due to time constraints. In addition to that, Keroro now is being shown twice a week and it's really hard to get even raws for the current season, especially the Otsu/late night episode, so I'm wasting a lot of time with a single show.

The 7th season (and Keroro Otsu) has been worth it though, after the pretty bad 6th season. For a moment, it seemed like the writers had forgotten that Keroro's whole concept about "invasion" depended on the interaction of the humans and aliens. Even though the frogs are the show's (and merchandise's) selling point, the series just doesn't work without the humans. However, ever since the ending of the 6th season, the human characters have returned to the forefront and the episodes have only improved again due to that.

(The following is a needless complaint that probably no one here will care about)

The only bad episode so far in the 7th season was the useless mother's day special, especially the Otsu episode - written by Shimoyama Kento. Really, did he completely forget that Otsu is shown at late night? Every other writer seems to know that and write accordingly, but the only differences between his Otsu episodes and his standard ones was the lack of furigana in some of the text, which probably have nothing to do with his script anyway.

Writing an episode about Aki Hinata controlling an invasion operation, only to completely ignore most of her characteristics and write about her having a "mother's plan" was insulting, and the idea of making two separate mother's days stories was just pointless.

There are several later episodes written by him that I really don't like too. Shimoyama Kento started writing for the anime in the 2nd season, and got more and more episodes as the show advanced. In the 6th season, he basically had his own supporting secondary cast members that -only appeared in his episodes- (including his own original frog that only appears in his episodes, Bariri, and several minor cast members that only receive focus in his stories later).

In the 6th season, he also adapted a manga story... eliminating most of the scenes with the humans to replace them with his own (inferior) humor. It's rather telling if one just looks at the episodes written by him. He also has some good stories, but too often his work just feels bland.

Last edited:
Nice post!!
Keroro Gunsou is great. I'm only following through the FUNimation releases because I like to watch comedy casually, but it's a lot of fun. I really like all the wacky seiyuu guest stars they tend to have.

レイモン (雷蒙)
Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru ep.8 sub
Working!! ep.9 sub