What anime should I be watching right now?

Administrator
Staff member
This question is specifically for @GWOtaku, but I'll take answers from anyone else reading too. I have a FUNimation account. I've gotten really picky about what I watch over time. But, I'll give something you recommend a shot and post what I think of it.

Administrator
Staff member
Casting the net a bit wide here, but if you or anyone wants to highlight some preferred genres I can probably zoom in on suggestions. Some personal favorites in the Funimation catalog include:

-Space Battleship Yamato / Star Blazers 2199 + 2202. Hands down the finest space opera anime done in recent memory, marvelously updating the original with gorgeous visuals and a more diverse ship crew without losing the soul of the original. Without question the first thing I'd recommend to anyone that's enjoyed anything Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, etc.

-Fruits Basket (2019). The remake of the classic shoujo is basically everything I was hoping it would be, and the way it blends humor and drama is still second to none. I love it. Season 2 is going to be delayed for an unknown period because of Coronavirus, but that still leaves 14 or 15 dubbed episodes to get into.

-The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Based on the manga by Hiromu Arakawa (Full Metal Alchemist), which was in turn based on the novel series by Yoshiki Tanaka. Revolving around the tale of a seemingly underwhelming Prince who has to take up the fight for his homeland when treachery brings about the defeat and capture of Warrior-King jerk father. The series does a great job showing many sides of the conflict, and it's satisfying to see Arslan going from having just a pair of exceptional aides to an entire network of friends and allies that'd follow him anywhere. Arslan takes inspiration from Persian history and also does a very good job tackling its share of issues: slavery, religious fundamentalism, what makes a good ruler, idealism against realpolitik, and more besides.

-Snow White With the Red Hair: Not to be confused with the fairy tale. A young woman leaves home to avoid the advances of a boorish prince and puts down roots in another kingdom, where she trains to be an herbalist and falls in with a bonafide Prince Charming and the people surrounding him. This one's just a feel-good anime from start to finish, packing a nice love story showing off a surprisingly well balanced and positive relationship. Studio BONES does a typically great job making it look amazing.

Administrator
Staff member
I'm always for psychological anime. Like I said, if you find it enjoyable, I'll give it a shot. It'll help push me outside of my comfort zone. However, if you have other psych anime to recommend, that would be much appreciated.