Wendell and Wilde, From the Makers of Coraline

Super Moderator
Wendell and Wild is a comeback from director Henry Selick. He made the iconic  stop motion animated horror film for kids Coraline. That movie was marketed for kids but people considered it as a horror film.
Clay Animation use to be norm back in the 1970s.
It was used for special effects too in place of CGI that was not invented yet. Stop Animation became a rarity when 3d Became a norm. Computer animation is able to achieve the same aesthetic for cheaper price and shorter time.
Stop Motion is done by taking pictures of clay models (sometimes they use dolls) as  the animator slowly alters the models to make them look like their are moving.  It is time consuming so less directors are making them.
It’s possible that Wendell and Wild may bring back some of Coraline’s creepy but kid-friendly vibe. The animation is very smooth, and at first I...

Continue reading...

The Official Reviews
I find it hilarious that whenever there is a crazy duo in promising animated movies like this one, it's likely that Key and Peele are providing their voices for the characters. The films "Coraline" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" are two of my all-time favorites, and neither Jordan Peele nor Henry Selick has produced a dud in their respective careers. It seems almost too good to be true that these two visionary directors have joined forces to create an animated stop-motion horror film.

Seemingly, everything is just right! The most entertaining style of animation is unquestionably claymation. It's getting me really excited to see it. Oh, this is going to make me so happy, I don't care! It's been a long time since I saw a horror stop-motion film, so needless to say, I'm excited for this one.

Froggy Afternoon
A wide theatrical release is needed for a film of this caliber. Regrettably, Netflix ends up buying this instead. The film's Afro-Punk protagonist has me pumped up and all, and I can't wait for this Black-enriched stop-motion horror picture. It stars not just renowned figures from the world of stop-motion animation, but also JORDAN PEELE! This year, baby, we're completely immersed in the renaissance of stop-motion filmmaking.

glasses: on
Why this isn't getting a wide theatrical release beyond me. Films made with kids in mind tend to do quite well at the box office. It's a shame since I would have spent the full $100 to take my wife and kids to see this. There is bad news for the theater industry: it loses money. Visually, I get the impression that Jordan Peele had more input than Henry Selick did in the creation of these figures. When it comes to open displays of prejudice, I've never met someone like him.

I said oooh
Both "Coraline" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" rank among my all-time favorite movies, and I have yet to find a bad film by either Jordan Peele or Henry Selick. That these two imaginative filmmakers have joined forces to make an animated stop-motion horror picture is almost too good to be true.

This is fantastic news. The fact that we haven't seen Selick and Peele collaborate on a horror film until now is the epitome of a squandered opportunity, as the two men are a creative force. Ideally, I'd like to see even more collaborative works from them.

Mom of 5, Crafter Extraordinaire and perfect wife
Hope more Claymation will be made, this artform should not die.