Viewing Globe - Serious Talk For Serious People Such As Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
Just finished watching a live stream of the Occupy LA movement. If there was a double rape homicide, no one would know until 8 days later. I have never seen that many cops in my LIFE!

Huh. I didn't even know that anything went down at Occupy LA until you mentioned it. Haven't even seen any news articles about it.

The entire Occupy thing is retarded. It's mostly the unemployed people who don't contribute to society that are doing this ****. Get a job you fucking losers.

Speaking as someone who was unemployed for 6 months after graduating from college before finally getting a job at Starbucks, and then was unemployed again for about 4 months when I quit Starbucks four years later, I find this at least vaguely offensive. There's a reason the unemployment rate is so high, it's because there aren't enough jobs to go around. So saying "get a job" does exactly nothing. I spent most of the time I worked there trying to find a different job, and you can see how well that worked out. I actually got my current job though a former customer-turned-friend.

They might have better luck finding a job if they spent more of their time searching for one instead of protesting, though. I'll give you that.

All your FACES are belongs to ME!!!
Huh. I didn't even know that anything went down at Occupy LA until you mentioned it. Haven't even seen any news articles about it.

Speaking as someone who was unemployed for 6 months after graduating from college before finally getting a job at Starbucks, and then was unemployed again for about 4 months when I quit Starbucks four years later, I find this at least vaguely offensive. There's a reason the unemployment rate is so high, it's because there aren't enough jobs to go around. So saying "get a job" does exactly nothing. I spent most of the time I worked there trying to find a different job, and you can see how well that worked out. I actually got my current job though a former customer-turned-friend.

They might have better luck finding a job if they spent more of their time searching for one instead of protesting, though. I'll give you that.

I believe he's just expressing his opinion of people like his brother. Hence, the "the unemployed people who don't contribute to society" line. :thumbs:

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
You ever had a student loan? The problem isn't paying it back, the problem is that there's no regulation to stop them from increasing the interest over and over unless you pay it in a lump sum, so that you end up paying them a huge percentage more than you actually were given in the loan.
Yep. Thousands of dollars worth. My interest rates have not changed since I began paying my loans back six months after I graduated in 2008. The rate could increase I suppose but that has not been my experience.

As you mentioned, some people may actually have a rationalization for the occupy protests if this is the case with their loans though that is not the case with mine (or at least not so thus far). However, I'll bet a number of these protestors feel entitled to not pay back their loans because the economic climate is not exactly bursting with jobs for college grads. Unfortunately, a degree is no guarantee for a job. Some of these people should keep that in mind and understand the consequences when they're borrowing the maximum amount allowed for a Federal Stafford Loan each semester.

All your FACES are belongs to ME!!!
Government Student loans don't go up in APR once it's locked. As far as I know, the only time it gets changed is if you do sort of refinance or if you add additional classes (e.g. Masters Degree). I assume that if you've been delinquent with your payments, that you'd also get some penalties.

Heroes are forever
internet-memes-occupy-wait-what.jpg

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
Government Student loans don't go up in APR once it's locked. As far as I know, the only time it gets changed is if you do sort of refinance or if you add additional classes (e.g. Masters Degree). I assume that if you've been delinquent with your payments, that you'd also get some penalties.
That's what I thought. Maybe these people with variable rates are getting privatized student loans or something.

Heroes are forever
Joke aside, what exactly is this Occupy thing about? Why are these people protesting? Most places are making the impression this is a protest full of lazy people who want free money, is this true?

Mad Skillz
Joke aside, what exactly is this Occupy thing about? Why are these people protesting? Most places are making the impression this is a protest full of lazy people who want free money, is this true?

I think it's basically a wide array of reasons. One of the guys I was watching last night basically said he was protesting because there's too much outside interest from businesses invested in the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.