The word of the day is YES!YES!YES!
I`m not sure I`d consider video gaming to be art but I do consider it to be a legitimate form of entertainment.
It`s come a long way since the days of Pac-Man

Well the argument is if something as unique and engaging as video games can be be consider freedom of speech if the consumer is the one acting it out, in the game, and not the creator/developer. Also, this law talked about Children, which immediately deploys several brakes on a fast decision.

Also, I think the Supreme Court cannot force a state to past a law, it can only revoke it.

The idea is that other states can't do that anymore because video games are now regarded as free speech under the US Constitution.

I'm happy for that because video games should've been a long time ago . What needs to be gotten rid of is the ESRB because ,like the MPAA, adults should be able to buy games for them and partially because AO games are never sold on shelves much like the N rated films. That's the second step.

I recall from the early forms of this form of entertainment they were art, just art you can interact and play with. That and the amazing game art from titles Final Fantasy and others like it are just amazing ,especially since the tech allows for transfer of the sketches into the actual designs via the advanced graphics, if not the stories and plots.

Lurker

The deal is that video game are not widely considered as art yet. I personally believe that the Mass Effect series is a work of art by its own merit, but most of the world still views it as a toy. Right now there are some spectacular video games that excel in specific areas, some that are even on display at the Smithsonian Museum. Unfortunately, the world, in genera, has not gotten serious about them yet.

Chief HJU News Editor
Wait, does the American games industry have NO age rating system for games? A six year old could go up and buy LA Noire in shop? :eyebrow:

Wait, does the American games industry have NO age rating system for games? A six year old could go up and buy LA Noire in shop? :eyebrow:

No.

We do have an age rating system from the ESRB and it's better enforced then certain people out there would have you believe.

So a six-year old could not buy LA Noire. Their PARENTS could buy it for them but that's a whole other story.

Lurker

It's like FlashNeko said.

What the Californian bill wanted to do is ban the marketing of violent video games to young children, and since retail cannot really control who sees their commercials and stuff, it would have pretty much forced some retails to take the games off the shelf altogether.

Chief HJU News Editor
But there's no laws to say six year olds can't buy it? What's stopping retailers selling it to them?

I don't remotely buy that retailers wouldn't stock certain items for this reason. Everywhere else in the world just requires you to show ID if they believe you're under-age regardless, even if it's an art form. This goes for cigarettes, going to cinema, club entry, anything. How hard is it to ask if you're unsure? This is actually quite a bit worrying for the industry.