[GAME] Unhallowed Metropolis: City of Shadows Episode 1: Volatile Mix

Duncan gestured in acceptance as the solider smoked.

“If you really believe the Dhampir to be sensitive you really should visit one of the parties Mrs. Halengrove and her hangers on hold. Behaviour like this would likely have half of them terrified of you and most of the rest ready to have ‘Stern words’ with you.â€

Duncan laughed, It wasn’t a mean spirited laugh rather it was intended to make light of situation and perhaps mock a few of his own acquaintances. He only nodded to the solders’ comment about the lady in their company, the doctor wanted to avoid making an enemy out of her as well as maintain the appearance of gentleman. He soon changed the subject on pondering the solders’ injuries.

“In all seriousness though if you are wounded or even bruised I better have a look, there was something odd about those animates and it might be best to err on the side of caution.€

"Know what, I like you. My name is Benjamin but you can call me Ben" Ben said to the man. "If you want to check out the injury go ahead, are you a doctor or something and just so you know, I do know how to act around the so called "high society" right after they started calling me a war hero they paraded me around at some fancy parties but that was awhile ago. But you see I don't really like or trust our host, too many damn questions and not enough answers, like how the hell did he know what was going to happen and why didn't just get his guards to take care of it or call in a whole squad of soldiers and most of all why us?" by this point Ben realized he was speaking in a voice loud enough that he could be easily heard by everyone in the room.

"I hate being in the dark, it gets people killed" he said before taking another drink then slowly took off enough armor so the man could see his bruise if he still wanted to check it out.

“ah, I’m Duncan I run a humble practice within the city. Your right the secrecy of our host is concerning. I think I’d like to know just how he was able to predict the animate attack in the first place.â€

Duncan said little else then the most obvious question. He was most concerned with why R.B had selected him to be involved in this buisness. If he knew of his reaserch then it would make no sense sending him into a fight he was meant to lose against a monster created by science. He could simply blackmail him into contributing to whatever work he was up to. It all led back to the most obvious question how did he know.

The doctor dismissed such thoughts and moved to where he left his medicine kit. Duncan took a small magnifying glass and began to carefully examined the bruise for signs of mineute skin tearing or early necrosis.

“Alright let’s see here.â€
[HIDE]
Rolling medicine(3) to examine bruise DR11
8 + 6 + 3 = 17
Success
[/HIDE]

Lurker
The wound was nothing special, some bruising but no tearing of the skin or signs of teeth breaking the skin, which thankfully meant Benjamin wouldn't be joining the walking dead any time soon. If anything a bit of pain medication would be all that was needed until the pain went away naturally.

Victor had been silently watching the argument get more and more heated to the point that when it fizzled he became somewhat disappointed that no one was punched. A good fist fight always made for good entertainment.

I think I’d like to know just how he was able to predict the animate attack in the first place.

"When you learn to see the pattern, anything can be predicted." a familiar voice said, their host had finally come to join them. "Upscale neighborhoods, in the afternoon hours, different street every time going in alphabetical order, Sentinel was next and the address was near the point were the pavement above the sewer lines was weakest." he told them all, addressing how several were expressing interest in how he made his prediction. "As I said it is all about the patterns." he told them as he took a seat a safe distance from his hired rabble as he didn't want his suit getting dirty. This time his face was unmasked, his expression was calm and nonchalant, the opposite of many of the fiery tempers in the room, his voice having a tinge of refinement that was to be expected of his social status. "Now I'm certain you all have questions and I will answer the important ones. First off, yes I am the one who sent the letters and as for what R.B stands for, my name is Reinhardt Blackwood." The Arkham natives might twitch at hearing that name, the wealthiest man in the city, a descendant of it's primary architect, for all intents and purposes he literally owned this town.

Victor kept quiet and cool, chances or Blackwood was well aware of the damage he did on that day, no way the man at the top wouldn't be aware of that. This had made the fact that he was hired in the first place all the more mysterious.

"As for your payment...." he said, and as if on cue his servants almost instantaneously appeared next to each of them holding a silver platter with a stack of cash. "As promised, double for each animate that was slain by the group, with a bonus for the large one at the end. Put simply, that is forty for each of you. Im certain that will suffice as a show of good faith."

Victor counted up the cash he was given, it looked Blackwood's number was correct, more than that it looks like they had each been paid for their collective kill count rather than the individual kill count, which he wasn't about to argue with.

"...and now to business. For those of you that live in this city I am sure you've noticed some changes in day to day life. Despite our city being protected by the tesla array there has been now shortage of undead within our walls, and attacks by animates have been increasing in frequency. Im sure you've been getting plenty of visitors Doctor, and I'm sure our local undertakers have been doing good business as well, even the unlicensed ones." he glanced in Victor's direction at that remark. "Adding to that, vampire activity is on the rise and thrope sitings are up. Now I am especially invested in this city, and it's easy to see that my city is sick, but all I've mentioned is the symptoms. I believe there is something deeper to it all that requires further probing, this is where you all come in." he explained as a servant handed him a glass of wine and helping himself to a sip. "I myself am not a fighter, but I am a man of resources, and I have seen fit to assemble you all here to not only eradicate these threats, but track the down and eliminate their sources. A death watch platoon is large and powerful, but imprecise they are like a hammer that would smash everything in sight, and a hammer is not what I need. This small group on the other hand can act in a far more precise manner, like a sword picking the targets and eliminating them with a swift precise strike. Each of you excels in your line of work, and the damage you can inflict may as well rival that of the Deathwatch. With my influence behind you this group will be able to act outside the official channels to an extent. And before you ask, yes you will be paid, what you received here will be a small fraction compared to what you can make by working for me in this venture. All you need to do is say yes and we can begin."

"I guess you can count me in as part of your little suicide squad at least it sounds like it will be interesting." Ben said between gulps from a new bottle he opened. "But i would like some assurances, first of all i don't want to be hung as a deserter so you need to clear all of this with my CO and secondly i would like it if you could keep my platoon in the city while im not with them, if those bastards are going out i am going out with them. I also am guessing you are going to explain a bit more about whats going on after we all agree."

Ben then looked around the room at his potential future squad, wondering if they would be able to work well enough together to survive what he imagined they would be walking into. "Hey all you, I think since we are most likely going to be working together we should introduce our self's to each other, my name is Benjamin Williams as you can see from my armor I am a deathwatch solider, over the years i have been given the nickname the beast and when Im not out on a patrol killing animates I like to drink with the few people i call my friends" After saying all of that Ben finished off the bottle and leaned back against the wall

Nathanial accepted the cash with a smile, causing the servant to linger in awe for a moment, before slipping back into the shadows. Counting the money, Nathanial was glad to be building resources in this city. As the explanation was laid out before him, Nathanial closed his eyes and recalled the final conversation with his fellow London Noctuary Agents.

"Rare to get a request like this hmm? I thought the Noctuary in the States was well manned... why do they need Nathanial and why by name?"

"Dunno. Guess your reputation has spread farther than we thought. Best of luck over there. Watch yourself. Something stinks and I don't think it's dead..."

Returning to the present, Nathanial eyed Reinhardt Blackwood with suspicion. The letter he'd received mentioned sources nearly of the Noctuary standard...

"Forgive me Mr. Blackwood but I have to ask something of you. Was it you who had the Noctuary summon me here from London?"

Nathanial thought a moment before adding with a bow, "Of course I will lend my power to this group and cut down those who sicken this city. I am Nathanial Zedock, Dhampir Vampire Hunter also know as 'The Silent Huntsman'. I look forward to continue working with you all."

A small pause, as Nathanial was debating with himself before offering "And I suppose I should add that you may call me 'Nathan' but please not in public. I have a reputation among society to maintain."

Last edited:
Duncan quietly mulled over Mr. Blackwell’s offer, as the other Ben and Nathan accepted. The Doctor had a lot to gain from accepting. In one brief excursion he had earned a 5th of what he would need to completely renovate his patchwork laboratory furthermore it seemed clear that what was attacking the city was capable of creating intelligent animates if he were to find solid research on it, he might find a clue to the elixir Vitae.

This offer was not without risks, Duncan’s government funding rested in a precarious position. Mr. Blackwell had shown no restraint in referring to Duncan as a “mad doctor†both in his letter and in person. This created a question if Duncan accepted would Mr. Blackwell reveal his secret to the remainder of the group, would he even permit him to refuse without revealing it. Duncan wasn’t too worried about the gentlemen undertaker he was unlicensed, a criminal, but Duncan was not certain how the rest of them may react.

“Mr. Blackwell after some careful consideration, I accept.â€

Ultimately the gains outweighed the cons, if he did his part perhaps Mr. Blackwell with all of his power and money would not be opposed in aiding Duncan in maintaining his secret.

“I am Duncan Lavoisier, a graduate of this city’s fine university I’ve studied Medicine, alchemy, parapsychology, forensic science, galvanic science as well as Thanatology. Needless to say, I am familiar with the living and the dead and can likely recognize an abomination created by the deranged who use their knowledge for selfish pursuits. As I mentioned to Ben earlier I run a practice in this city but I am also researching ways in which the human immune system might be strengthened to resist the plague. My parents were once quiet well known for their contributions to the academic community and as such I have access to some of the more exclusive circles within this city. I’m not sure if such connections will be needed but should they be I will happily contribute.â€

Duncan sat back and relaxed, his summary of himself covered the essentials even giving a ‘clean’ description of his research, after all elixir vitae could potentially grant immortality resistance to the plague should be child’s play for it. Mr. Blackwell should hopefully not have any reason to reveal his secrets now.

Irene’s lips curled into a wry smile. “You have quite a varied taste in mercenaries, Mister Blackwood,” she said, “a man of science, a trigger-happy drunk, a…” Her eyes fell on Nathanial and her expression softened a little. She resisted the urge to say ‘handsome,’ and settled for, “…hunter, and a…” Her eyes were on Victor now, and she cocked a brow, “…well, I’m not entirely sure what you are, but you can kill monsters, so I suppose you can stay.”

She turned once more to their mysterious benefactor. “You already know who I am, sir, or I think you would not have called me all this way from London…but if I am to accept your generous offer and we are to henceforth work as a unit…my name is Irene. Irene Plover. I am afraid I don’t have Doctor Lavoisier’s impressive list of qualifications, which I’m sure we’re all very much looking forward to having at our disposal, but you are aware I have my own particular talents.”

Lurker
"Plover huh? My sources told me a succubus was in town." Vic said as he stood up, finally putting his two cents in to the conversation. "Gotta say Blackwood, this seems like a might by score right here." he said, thinking about how much they could potentially make off of this job. "Thing about big scores though is the fact that they could go really wrong and screw folks like us over." he said, remembering the infamous Arkham City fire, and how his involvement was the result of such a potential big score.

"Ah yes, I suppose you of all people would be the most cautious considering what happened back then." Blackwood was unfazed, as if he had seen this coming like so many other things. "Very well, I am prepared to sweeten the deal in your case. If I remember correctly, you lost your license yes? Work for me and I can see to it that it gets reinstated, and that the black mark in your records can disappear." he said before a devious grin crossed his face "And if not I'm certain the local authorities have a procedure for handling unlicensed undertakers if I call them. It's your choice."

Victor forced a grin, this guy had done his homework and prepared. It made him wonder if he had dirt on the others in this odd group. "Well it looks like I'm working for you now Blackwood, looking forward to the job." he said still forcing that grin.

"Excellent." he said "Well, as im sure today has been a long and hectic one for you all I would suggest beginning your investigations tomorrow. I'm certain you can cover any equipment related expenses that may come up. From here on you will be allowed to proceed as you will, as long as I get results." he explained to them all before looking to Duncan "The large animate's remains have been shipped to your clinic, I would recommend inspecting them when you get the opportunity. You could learn something useful. In any case you are all dismissed for now."

With that the group was herded back to the elevator, as expected there was a dark Victor shaped mark on the couch where he had been sitting. The group had agreed to meet at the pit where the attack in the morning the next day, except for Duncan who it was decided should try to find what he can from the mysterious animate before joining the rest of them.

--------

The next morning, 9 am

It was the earliest Victor had been awake in quite a while, nothing like the allure of cash and reinstatement of his license to motivate him. His guns were all reloaded and his blades sharpened. He wasn't sure how much fightig they might end up doing but it never hurt to have them ready. They didn't spend much time planningthe previous night so he assumed they would be doing so today.

((Alright, for clarification it is still the same episode we just advanced to the next day. If your character bought anything between then and now, state it in your post along with the price. Duncan can either have been working on the animate autopsy the previous night when it was fresher or the current day either way it will require a 2d10 + Thanatology skill with a DR of 14, since it isnt a combat situation you can make as many rolls as needed in one post until you succeed to represent Duncan continually trying over and over to succeed))

The outer appearance of Miss Ness was as usual immaculate. There she sat with her pleasant if vaccant expression in her usual black attire, though to be fair this dress was far more casual than what she would wear outside, with lavender pin-striping and a veil hastily pinned in place by a black laquered hair clip that held her hair up and preserved her modesty.

On the inside however she was seething in anger, seated across from her in her own parlor were two officers who had come by unexpectedly from the local police precinct. She had of course offered them tea and they of course had accepted but this was far from the casual social visit proper conduct forced the trio to pretend it was. In fact the only creature not bound by etiquette was Tiny and the dog was following her lead, it was a small comfort to know that at a specific change in her body language Tiny would change from cherished pet to protector, but at the moment the uniformed gentleman were in their 5th round of going over things ‘once again’

It seemed that living in this neighborhood and frequently walking Tiny everywhere had done little to establish herself in wake of recent events when the rumor mill had gotten started. A mourner had supposedly gotten sloppy and she had been on the scene, therefore she was sure people where fixing her in their minds as the guilty party and now people would talk about the uniformed officers coming for a visit which was only mildly preferable to being asked to visit the station. Of course this rumor did not explain the giant animate which arose during the fight, but thankfully a fellow mourner had given her a clue by which Ness might get answers and some redemption.

Once her guests had finally left Ness went from perfectly still into a rare lapse of control, releasing a strangled but very colorful expletive and whipping a throw pillow against the wall, she then resumed her usual demeanor and glided over to her writing desk and began to pen a polite letter.

‘Most Honorable R. Blackwood,

It shames me to have to write to you Sir, I mean in no way to give you annoyance but I find myself in a most difficult situation regarding the recent animate activity. It seems through no fault of my own but sheer coincidence I found myself in unfortunately close proximity to these events and took what actions seemed correct at that time.

Now I find myself and my honor under question and have no other means of clearing my name as to the responsibility (or lack there of). My livelihood is very much dependant upon my reputation and any damage to it may cost me dearly in the future. I beseech you good Sir only that you please reply with the information you know about those events, so to which I may answer any charges or questions brought against me regarding this incident

Has always thought of you with great esteem;

Widow H. Ness.’

Upon finishing the letter Ness was tempted to just put it in the mail box and retire to bed for the remainder of the day, but she wasn’t that susceptible to self pity and so she put on a heavy black shawl and went to the post office to have it delivered right away.