[GAME] Unhallowed Metropolis: City of Shadows Episode 1: Volatile Mix

Lurker
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUD_4Bxma8"]Vernian Process - Unhallowed Metropolis (official LP Mix) - YouTube[/ame]

It wouldn't be too farfetched to say that the end of the world already came and went, what with the dead rising and infecting the living one after another and that was just the beginning. Things that were thought to be nothing but stories and legend became real and all of it seemed to favor humans as their food source. The ones who died in the early days were the lucky ones, those of us left on the other hand not so much. We live in walled cities in fear of the horrors that lurk outside, crowded, dirty fearing the possibility of those walls crumbling letting the undead come right in, though it isn't like they didn't pop up within the confines of the city anyway. Anyone who died was likely to get right back up these days. The skies were dark with smog, the sun barely showing through, and the rain from those clouds had a tendency to be acid rather than water. Breathing that foul air was akin to inhaling toxic gas, and anyone that was still human wouldn't dare to step outdoors without a gas mask to keep themselves from destroying their lungs from the inside out. The world was poisoned, possibly even slowly rotting away and here we are left to try and survive. Two hundred years since it began and humanity still persists, even in the fact of bleak odds we continue. Even if this world cannot be fixed, we will continue to survive and fight back until we fall down dead and if we make a little progress for the next generation to build on, then just maybe the lives we live will end up being worth something.

-----------

Blackwood Spire, the highest point in all of Arkham, placed at the dead center of the city, at it's top was a lavish estate that those on the ground could only barely dream of ever getting to see, let alone live in: Blackwood Manor. It's occupants were few, just those who maintained the estate, the servants and of course it's owner. A well dressed man stood on the balcony looking down at the city, his face obscured by the white and gold gas mask that kept him from breathing in the city's toxic air, his blonde hair draped over the front, and pushed out of the way of the eye lenses. Even this high up he knew the things that were happening in the city down below. How the dead seemed to be popping up en mass in random areas, how the surprise attacks never failed to take their share of victims, and how these undead had a hunger and resilience greater than that of the average animate. The time to begin acting was upon him. He had a plan to deal with this menace though. Some might believe the combat such a threat one would need an army or at least a deathwatch platoon, that was a laughable thought though, the logistics would be unwieldy, too many people too direct. No less was more,and it was a matter of quality over quantity. Less to pay, less time organizing and more time acting that was the way to do it.

"There." he said to the maid standing behind him,like him her face was obscured by a gas mask those hers was just plain and black. pointing downward. "My sources predict that will be where they will strike next." he explained. "See to it that they are properly tipped off, and be quick about it." she silently left with a nod and told the others of the staff of their task. There were five red envelopes prepared, each addressed to a certain individuals.

Victor Darville, Arkham's Firebringer, Irene Plover, the Succubus, Nathaniel Zedock, the silent huntsman, Duncan Lavosier, the mad doctor and Benjamin Williams the beast. The mixture volatile enough to be just what the city needed....

-----------

There was a modest shack on the very edge of the Hangman's district. Not that large and fairly out of the way it was the kind of place you had to really be looking for to find, and the kind of place you walked away from if you did happen to see it. At the very edge of the property were several signs bearing messages like "Buzz Off" and "I have no problem shooting trespassers" and that was only the beginning, the yard was littered with traps, many hidden and some displayed blatantly in order to scare off potential intruders. Unfortunately for once of Blackwood's butlers this was the home of one of those he intended to hire. With a gulp he stepped closer to the shack, and was stopped dead in his tracks by the sound of a cocked gun. A rifle was pointed right at him from one of the windows.

"You have thirty seconds to tell me why I shouldn't pull the trigger!" a belligerent voice from the other side of the gun shouted.

A chill ran down the butler's spine as he saw the barrel of a gun aim at him, and he quickly raised up his hands in surrender, the red envelope in his right hand. "It's a-about a j-job s-sir." he said nervously.

"Why the hell didn't you say so?! Gimme a sec I'll be right there." the voice shouted sounding considerably friendlier now. A tall man stepped out of the front door, his face obscured by a grey gas mask as he approached. He was a tall guy, roughly 6'2, wearing a long coat which waved a little in the slight breeze along with his hair,bits of armor showing through his somewhat ripped and torn clothes. On his back were two holsters, each holding a different gun, one of which had been recently pointed at the man who walked a little too close to his property. Attached to his belt were two other weapons, a cutlass and a stun prod, and concealed within one of the inner coat pockets was a pistol. He moved carefully through the yard, being very precise with his movements to avoid triggering the traps. "Alright what do you have?" he asked

The butler handed over the envelop his hands shaking the whole time. "M-my employer said that y-you may be interested in this opportunity." he explained the "The information is all there I'll just leave you too it.." the butler was quick to take off, just in case something set this guy off. He hard heard about Victor before, he heard about the kind of damage he had done and what he could do, he didn't want to be around that anymore than he had to.

Victor chuckled a little as Blackwood's butler took off. "Well might as well see what the job offer is." he said to himself before opening the envelope with his cutlass before beginning to read it.

To the the Firebringer of Arkham:

Times must be rough for you these days, no license, not many willing to hire someone with such a terrible reputation, things are certainly against you aren't they? I will get right to the point, I have a potentially lucrative job offer for someone with your skills. I'm sure you've heard about unusual animates appearing lately. They are a bit much for the average person, but someone as dangerous as you just might have a chance against them. Now I am a practical man, I wont spend a cent on those that cannot do the job so before I hire you on I intend to see if you are up to the task or not, with this in mind I know just how to see if your services are worth my dollars or not. My sources, whose accuracy I would stake my life on, have predicted that the next attack will occur today at 3 pm, 8840 Sentinel St. in the French Hill district. Should you be interested show up on time and get to work, I will pay double the standard Undertaker rate for each kill should you succeed and make it out alive. Things just might go well for you, and who knows work well for me and even reinstating your license may not be out of the question.

-R.B

Victor shoved the letter into his pocket and took out his pocket watch to check the time. "Plenty of time, nothing wrong with getting a move on early though. Early bird catches the worm." he said to himself before he locked his door and headed off opportunity was waiting for him.

((And here we go, finally starting. For the people mentioned in the post getting letters I recommend having your character receive theirs in your post. The message is tailored to each individual so make it something relevant to the calling and character. As for our mourner and detective well the detective can be conducting their own investigation, and a for the mourner the animates are predicted to appear in the nicer part of town.))

Nathaniel awoke in a haze. Slipping out from the sheets that made his bed, Nathaniel stood and stretched. Casting a glare at the bed, Nathaniel strode to the kitchen of his flat and set about making 'breakfast'. After several long minutes, Nathaniel had made eggs and toast, as well as a slab of raw ribs. Now salivating at the sight before him, Nathaniel began to eat the eggs. It was a test of control that he save the ribs for last. Raw animal flesh was most exquisite to his pallet. As the last of the eggs and toast were consumed, the doorbell rang. Nathaniel's inhuman senses told him the one at the door was a human male, nervous but determined. Wiping his mouth to remove any unsightly traces of food on his lips, Nathaniel silently strode to the door. Passing his carefully hung up long coat, Nathaniel recalled that he'd begun to sleep in his armor. Opening the door as not to spook the human, Nathaniel was greeted by a fit lad, probably about sixteen, with shaggy blond hair and sparkling blue eyes. The lad was dressed in a servants uniform, set apart by the medical insignia stitched in to one shoulder. A fine leather backpack was slung over his shoulders. His respirator hung on his belt, out of the way.

As the lad silently gazed at him, unabashed awe on his face, Nathaniel couldn't help but hide a smile. Being a Dhampir as he was, Nathaniel knew he had that effect on humans. But it was always amusing to see it, especially on one who's station was lower than those he normally associated with. “You have business with me?” Nathaniel asked, keeping his voice low and calm so the boy didn't think he was angry.

“Ah! Forgive me Sir!” The boy exclaimed, Nathaniel's voice ripping him back to the present. The boy slid the leather backpack off and placed it carefully at Nathaniel's feet. The jump in the boys blood-pressure belied his well trained facade. Eyes cast down in respect, the boy spoke “This is a gift from my Master, Dr. Hemmingway, to you Sir.”

Nathaniel effortlessly picked up the backpack and was met with the faint and well-hidden scent of blood. “Master says to leave the pack at the back door and that you have his eternal gratitude Sir Na-! Sir Zedock.” Pulling a bit of money from his nearby coat, Nathaniel was met with a weary eye. Holding the money out, Nathaniel eased the boy's fear. “Give this Dr. Hemmingway with my regards. Tell him its a small price to pay for such a gift.”

With a nod and a bow the boy left. Nathaniel closed the door and listened as to the retreating footsteps as the lad left his flat and spoke with the doorman. Nathaniel returned to his breakfast and carefully opened the backpack. Carefully stored away inside were seven packs of medical blood. Placing six of the packs in his refrigerator, Nathaniel removed the stopper of the seventh and resumed his meal. Between the succulent ribs and the sweet O-Negative blood, Nathaniel rapidly felt his strength returning. Cleaning up the dishes, Nathaniel went to his 'study' and geared up for the day. Ensuring his sword was within easy reach, Nathaniel gathered up the few remaining items. The folding knife was slipped into a hidden pocket as Nathaniel grabbed his long black leather coat and slid the cigarettes and matches into each pocket. Ensuring the door was locked behind him, Nathaniel exited his flat and entered the throng of society.

His first stop of the day was the local smithy. The young lean man working the counter glanced up as the chime rang signaling a customer. Nathaniel walked over and rested an arm on the counter before speaking. “I received a message that my order was finished? Under the name Zedock.” Glancing down at his book, the man soon smiled. “Ah yes. The custom silver-plated respirator? My Master would like to do a quick fitting. Please excuse me.” The man vanished into the back for a moment.

The older burly soot-stained owner appeared and quickly cleaned himself up as best he could. “Sir Zedock? If you'd step over here for just a moment, I'll check the fit.” Nathaniel obliged and after a few more tweaks by the smithy, comfortably had the respirator covering his lower-face but still allowing his eyes to be seen through the clear glass eyes. It wasn't something Nathaniel truly needed, being a Dhampir but it was something that he needed to continue his mingling with the upper-class.

Returning to the counter, Nathaniel was met by the lean man again. “That will be $40 Sir.” Nathaniel paid and turned to leave when a thought struck him. He turned back to the younger man and said “Can I speak with the owner? I have another request of him.” Never one to turn away business, the owner quickly reappeared. Nathaniel explained his request, a nice wooden coffin with padded interior lining. The owner's face furrowed in thought.

“My brother's a woodworker. Usually he handles the decorative stuff. He'll be happy to have an actual order.” Nathaniel nodded and calmly wrote down the required measurements. After the owner vanished in back, seemingly as the brother worked in shop, Nathaniel smiled. The sound of voices talking was overshadowed by the excitement in one of them. The owner reappeared with a broad smile on his face. “More than happy to take the job, Sir Zedock. He's even willing to give a discount due to the rarity of the request. Is $25 acceptable?”

Nathaniel nodded in agreement. “More than acceptable. I'm grateful for the discount as well.” More paper work was filled out and Nathaniel left the smithy with a promissory note that it would be ready in ten days, if not sooner. As Nathaniel stepped once more into the throng of people, he could hardly wait to actually get a decent rest for once since arriving in Arkham. His walk down the street was cut short as the scent of male, behind him, came to Nathaniel's attention. Calmly stopping and turning to face the nervous man, Nathaniel was greeted by a butler. Gripped in his gloved hands was a red envelope.

“This is for you Sir.” Was the only words as Nathaniel took the envelope and watched the butler vanish. Effortlessly opening it with a flick of his finger, Nathaniel began to read.

To The Silent Huntsman:

Your reputation precedes you, Sir Dhampir. I do hope you're settling into Arkham nicely enough. But I haven't sent this letter only to welcome you to our fair city. The animates here are unusual as of late; as you may be aware already. I've chosen to call on you to bring about their destruction. My sources, nearly of the Noctuary standard, tell me that they will strike at today at 3 pm, 8840 Sentinel St. in the French Hill district. The pay will be more than satisfactory to you and I hope that this is the start of a mutually beneficial partnership.

-R.B.
Nathaniel studied the message a bit before smiling and heading off to 8840 Sentinel Street.

Last edited:
Duncan Lavosier stared attentively at the test tube before him as a final tiny droplet of elixir Ignotis filled the container. Securing his sample in a syringe Duncan proceeded to tighten the tap of his sample condenser ensuring that any remaining sample would not be lost. The elixir Ignotis as he called it was a kind of Schrödinger's cat, it referred to various compounds purified from the undead that may potentially act as the fabled elixir vitae. Taking the syringe he injected the collected Ignotis into a pair of caged mice branded 387 and 388, one male and one female. Duncan found himself turning to face the mice every so often as he wheeled the second cage over and connected them. Opening the border he lured both mice to the new cage with some cheese in order to ensure that they interact with the unbranded caged sample. The fact neither of the mice had shown signs of infection was at least somewhat promising, now if they survived the night without passing some form of infection into the population he could progress to the second stage of experimentation, resurrection. As he tidied up the remainder of his equipment a red light illuminated his lab table signalling the arrival of a patient.

Duncan left his under-basement lab and entered the basement and proceeded to dispose of his gloves and coat. Unclean lab practices lead to contamination of the environment which could prove to be far too risky. Finishing the process with an application of disinfectant to his gas mask, headed upstairs Duncan grabbing a clean lab coat on his way up. Within a few minutes his patient entered with her mother not too far behind.

“Hello little miss, Hello Mrs Halengrove. What brings you to my humble practice?â€

The small five year old Julia, sat in the patients chair as Mrs. Halengrove returned pleasantries. It was a routine check up, how was her weight, her reflexes and so on. It was largely pointless save for the blood test, which he managed to complete after encouraging the young girl a bit. Sample in hand he used some quick confirmatory tests to check for signs of the plague. The young girl was free from infection and enthusiastically jumped out of her chair and run up to him at the mere sight of lollypop. Bidding the pair fair well, Duncan wondered if Mrs. Halengrove gossiping wife of the chief of police would have much to say about him.

Before Duncan had a chance to return to his lab, there was a knock. Opening the door he was greeted by his secretary June and gentleman he was unfamiliar with. Introducing himself with as a butler from Blackwood Spire, he preceded to hand Duncan a letter before leaving with little fanfare.

To the Good doctor.

The stories of your fine work extend further then you may suspect. An educated man such as yourself does not to be reminded that these times are uncertain for us all.

I require the services of a group of talented individuals. I have a good understanding of your studies especially your extracurricular activities and believe you may be qualified.

There have lately been some sightings of particularly unusual animates lately, my sources indicate that there will be an appearance of these creatures at 3 pm, 8840 Sentinel St. in the French Hill district. For each animate killed will pay you double the standard undertakers rate and you may relieve future well paying work, perfect for funding you budding practice. You may not be the only one there, should any be injured remember your oaths.

-R.B

Duncan neatly folded the note in his pocket, after advising June to alert Nurse Iris of his subsequent absence. He returned to the basement and gathers his gear. Even if “R.Bâ€â€™s turned his back on the deal, Duncan may still gather some interesting feedstock for the production of more elixir Ignotis.

Ben slowly waked through the gates back into the city after a patrol with his platoon that took way longer than it should, he lost almost half the new recruits and some of his veterans after they ran into some animates. Only really one thing to do after a patrol and defiantly after a patrol where you lose soldiers, and that’s to go to the pub and get drunk, he can write his official report for the higher ups to read later.

Ben sat at his normal table at Monroe’s bar, a bar where most Deathwatch soldiers go when they have time off. Sergeant Fiddler was already sitting there shuffling cards, Fiddler is of average height and his only real noticeable feature is his red hair and beard, the crazy bastard is an explosives expert and always carries around a burnt and beat up fiddle for some reason, no one has ever seen him play it or even knows if it works but that doesn’t stop him for taking it everywhere. Once Corporal Bulldog made it over and placed a bottle of the strongest whiskey he could get, on the table then Fiddler dealt the cards to Ben, Bulldog and Corporal Guardian. Corporal Bulldog is a short man with almost no neck but with huge arms and chest while Guardian is a tall but skinny man will skin almost as dark as night. Out of the group the only one they call by their real is Ben unless they are in the field, he doesn’t really like being called the Beast but when he is in a fight you can’t blame people for calling him it.

After an hour or so of drinking most of the recruits at the tables around them are passed out or close to being, Bulldog throw his shot glass at the door just as it opened and a man who did not fit in with the scruffy soldiers walked in. The glass exploded a couple inches above the man’s head and he quickly dropped to the ground. The four of them could not help but laughing as the man slowly got up and walked over to them. The first thing the man said was “Is one of you is Benjamin Williams, the beast, I was told that if he wasn’t at the barracks he would be here.†Fiddler as being his normal smartass self, jumped at the opportunity and yelled out “I am him, what do you want from me boy, it better be worth my time or I will beat you, can’t you see I’m busy drinking myself stupid†That made the man take a step back will a puzzled look on his face before saying “I am one of Blackwood’s butlers, my master has asked me to deliver this letter to you†As he started to pass the letter to Fiddler, Ben leaned forward and snatched it from the butlers hand. Before the butler could abject Ben told him to get lost and that he finished his task.

“Damn Ben, we know you met some people after they started calling you a war hero, but Blackwood†Fiddler said as Ben pulled out his knife to cut open the letter. “Can it Fiddler†Ben said as he opened the envelope and putting a cigarette into his mouth “and give me a match, I need to light my cigarette, I forgot to get a box again.â€

To Benjamin Williams, the beast

Your reputation as a war hero has spread far and wide. I have a job for you if you are willing to take it, but first I have a small task for you to see if you are worth my time and money. Don’t worry it’s not a pro bono task, I will give you a weeks worth of you pay if you do well or form what I have heard, you like to drink when you are not on duty, maybe I will send you some liquor that is actually worthy to drink instead of that poison you must be drinking. My sources, whose accuracy I would stake my life on, have predicted there will be an animate attack at 3 pm today at 8840 Sentinel St. in the French Hill district.

R.B.

Scratching his thin short beard will one hand, Ben said “Fiddler I’m going to need you to write the report about the patrol, looks like I found something interesting to do, I’m goig to need to go for a jog to try and sober up a bit before the fun starts.â€

Last edited:
To my dear Succubus,

I hope this letter finds you well, as it would shatter my world to hear otherwise. I imagine you are surprised by the arrival of this communiqué, but thanks to my deep interest in worldly affairs, I have come to learn quite a lot about your personal contributions to the campaign against the un-dead menace in Great Britain. You have exhibited wit, guile, and remarkable strength of character, and it is because of these qualities that I offer you a chance to become a part of my own personal operation. I beg that you forgive my presumptuousness, but I have already secured lodgings for you within Arkham, and have included the key in the envelope as well as the address (overleaf). The payment I am offering for your services is below, and if you do decide to indulge my request, then please hurry to arrive on our shores before (DATE REDACTED).

Yours,

R.B.

Irene Plover did not like grovelling little jellies, as a cursory reading of the letter led her to believe this, ‘R.B.’ was. It amused her that someone offering a not-so-inconsiderable sum would identify themselves in the style of a Brighton landlord. Still, she had been looking for an excuse to get away from the Smoke for a bit. America still held a kind of New World intrigue, even in the two-hundred years since the beginning of the Plague, and it also had a lot of idiots who would adore her for the simple virtue of her birthplace. For a country forged in the fires of rebellion, she noted a stark, and frankly bizarre adoration of their former masters. English novelists and actresses were treated like royalty in the Colonies, and though her own profession was one of slightly less repute, she had enough knowledge in her old loaf to look the part. In fact she had arrived at the Arkham docks in a subdued but elegant ensemble to give her the look of a star on the run, and that alone had turned heads enough that she was able to get a free ride to the address R.B. had provided her. The burly man who had driven her asked if she would be all right, and if she might prefer some security. Irene simply smirked, revealed the butt of one of her guns, and politely told him she had all the security she needed.

She decided her benefactor was not only a grovelling little jelly, but an arrogant little cretin with a mean sense of humour. The Hangman’s district was the spit of London’s East End. It was dirty, noisy, and it reeked. Home sweet home, as the saying goes. Home sweet bloody home. She made her way up to the flat, past a sleeping dog which no doubt belonged to the landlord, a country-grizzled man by the name of Amos Slade, with a wiry moustache and a penchant for a beaten up old hat with a wide, floppy brim. He walked with the aid of a crutch, and seemed more occupied with listening to the commentary of a baseball game on his radio than even pay her a welcome. The dog, a crusty Coonhound, at least glanced up at her as she passed.

She had ascended the stairs to her flat. It was a larger space and probably one of the priciest properties in the area, and also had rooftop access, which meant R.B. had at least known her personal requirements. She found that a few of the floorboards were loose, and she used the space underneath to hide her supplies. She could make do for now, but she would have to see about making some improvements down the line. As it was, it would make a sufficient lair for the Succubus. That was two days before a servant arrived with another letter, sealed in her new benefactor’s signature red envelope. She had done her homework, and knew enough about who was up in Arkham to make an educated guess at the sender’s true identity.

To my dear Succubus,

It pleases me greatly to know you have not only honoured my request, but that you have arrived safely at our shores. I hope the accommodations are to your liking, and that the charming Mister Slade is not too objectionable. You need not worry about him bothering you much. All he cares about is his money and the Great American Pastime, and your rent will be handled through my channels for as long as you are willing to work for me.

Now, to business, my dear. The reason for the deadline which I cited so urgently in our previous exchange, is that my sources have indicated the latest in a string of attacks by most peculiar animates will commence on that day at 3p.m., 8840 Sentinel St. in the French Hill district.

Yours,

R.B.

A date, and now a time. Irene knew the exactness of it was suspect. She would investigate later. Trick or no trick, there were animates to kill, and she would be lying to herself if the use of the term, ‘peculiar,’ had not piqued her interest just a touch. She sent the servant away with a sly wink, and watched him turn bright red in the face as he scurried off. She donned her armour with a more civilian dress, coat and respirator over top (no sense in broadcasting herself if this turned out to be a false lead) and stowed her mask and selected tools where they would not be seen without a very thorough handling, which she would take care not to provoke. Once she was good and satisfied, she set out.

It wasn’t acid rain today and so Miss Ness and her dog were seen out walking, both wearing matte black respirators, The young woman ran her life like clockwork and anyone who lived in the neighborhood of the French Hill district would tell you that at 3pm she and tiny would be walking near Sentinel St.

Ms. Ness was a youngish woman of good reputation and diminutive stature, her figure and slim waist enhanced by the white embroidery on her armored black corset which she wore over a dark gray mourning gown. Her dark brown hair was pulled up in a intricate braided bun and her large blue eyes were visible through the eyes of her respirator.

The dog Tiny, was now fully grown. His dark furred head level with his petite Mistresses rib cage. Weighing in at 158 pounds the Dog now outweighed Ms. Ness by about 35lbs and originally several people had expressed concern about whether such a small woman could manage such a dog, but through her Mourner training Ms. Ness had mastered both her heart and her mind, Tiny followed her loyally as his leader.

Caucasian-Shepherd-Guard-Dog1.jpg

Lurker
As he approached the sight of the predicted attack Victor had a look around at the surroundings. This was the nicer part of town alright, the kind of place where he really stood out. Whether it was his reputation or just the fact that he had an air about him that seemed to say "I sure as hell don't belong here", he was getting glares from the much more well off passerby. He just chuckled a bit, it wasn't anything he wasn't used to, besides if that letter was right these people would have something more dangerous grabbing their attentions in a few minutes. He leaned up against a nearby building, his trusty Magwitch Reaper in hand as he tapped his foot anxiously. He didn't put too much stock into the predictions of others but he had a hunch about this whole thing, plus he was never one to pass up a job opportunity without giving it a look either. He kept glancing at his pocket watch, it was almost time now, just a few more minutes and he would see if there as anything to that letter's prediction or not. Standing there waiting for undead to just pop up was a strange feeling for him, typically when he showed up on a scene animates were already out and about and looking for living flesh to munch on, just waiting for them to show up like this was like waiting for a guillotine to drop, it was a feeling that just didn't sit all that well with him. Still there wasn't much else to do other than watch the time count down on his watch, tap his foot, and keep his eyes peeled for when things would go down.

2:59, so close that he could practically smell the undead. Somehow it felt like his watch was ticking louder than it ever had before as the time ticked down.

Suddenly he heard a "pop" from nearby as he saw a manhole cover fly off of the nearby sewer before crashing back down on the ground, nearly right on his head if he hadn't moved out of the way. He looked at the now uncovered manhole, hearing an all too familiar groan coming from within. "Holy ****....that letter was right..." his train of thought was interrupted by the sound of several more explosions under the street, first cracking the pavement and then full on collapsing it, creating a large crater in place of the street that he had been looking at before, and in it was a swarm of animates that were eagerly climbing out of the rubble, smelling the buffet of living humans nearby.

"****, freshies, this aint good." The way they moved, he could tell these animates hadnt been animates too long, way too nimble, barely rotted and way more dangerous. "If you're attached to living, and your head I suggest getting the hell out of here!" he shouted to any passerby dumb enough to still be around. "Time to earn that cash..."

[HIDE]
Initiative Roll for Victor:
2d10 + Prowess
10-9

10+9+5 = 24

Initiative Rolls for animates 1 through 12:

9-7

9+7+4= 19

[/HIDE]

((Alright combat is about to go down but first we actually have to see the turn order for everyone by rolling for initiative. How do we do that? Simple the formula for it is 2d10 + your character's prowess. This particular dice roller is what most of us favor: http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

So to sum it up do this:
1.Click that link
2. Choose ten sided dice
3. For number of dice put in 2
4. Set number of rolls at 1
5. Roll the dice
6. Add the resulting numbers to your prowess and that's your initiative

Its also recommended that you put the numbers you roll in your post, preferably in hide tags. Once initiative is decided we will take combat on piece by piece.))

With his buzz finally completely fading, Ben is only a couple blocks away from the location the note told him to go. He knows it’s almost the time the letter told him the animated would arrive but he doesn’t want to run in this higher class section of town. Over his years in service he has learned that people get really nervous when they see a man in full Deathwatch armor sprinting through the city, and he doesn’t want to cause a panic just in case the letter was wrong and there would be no animated. His deathwatch armor has The Beast in big letters across his back. Ben started to wonder if he should have brought some backup of his own just in case, the letter didn’t really tell him to go alone but he didn’t want to drag the few people he actually calls his friends into anything more than he does while they are on duty. He knows that they would have come without a second though but the letter was written for him, not them. While still a block away he decided to stop and do a once over on his weapons, his trusty sidearm first, the westgate executioner, with years of wear on it. Then his rifle, he isn’t expecting to need to do much long range shooting but better safe than sorry. He just glanced at his knifes, they had a few nicks but that’s what happens when they got lots of use. Ben looked at his grenades too, he thought about leaving them back at the barracks because he didn’t think it was smart to use them in the middle of the city, but Fiddler talked him into taking them with him.

Ben noticed some few people who stuck out like sore thumbs as he got into view of the address he was given. He was still 50 yards away he heard a load “popâ€, looking around he saw that it was a manhole cover but before he could think too much into it he heard several more explosions and then the whole street fell in.

People all round him started panicking but all Ben could do was focus on the hole in the street where the animated slowly climb out. They were clearly recently animated, damn, well that at least means they will put up somewhat of a fight. “Time to do what I get paid for†he said with a big smile across his face.

[HIDE]Initiative Roll for Ben
2d10+prowess
8-8
8+8+7=23[/HIDE]

Moving effortlessly through the crowded streets, Nathaniel headed for the destination in the letter. Not bothering to carry a watch, Nathaniel had a perfect inner sense of time that never failed. Even before his 'transformation' into his current state. Keenly aware of the scent beneath the busy street, Nathaniel inwardly scowled. The roving horde of animates were all the type dubbed 'fresh' or 'freshies'. Recently animated so they were far more limber and less rotted. Far more dangerous too. His gaze swept the street and picked out a couple of people clearly out of their element.

The younger man, who wasn't a part of the Army, clearly preferred long range combat, as his Magwatch Reaper attested. Nathaniel mentally dubbed him 'the sniper fellow'. The Army fellow, a very odd man out among the upper class that walked the streets, was a strange sight for Nathaniel. Shaking his head a bit Nathaniel reminded himself that it wasn't an Army fellow but a Deathwatch Soldier. A momentary weariness crept up into Nathaniel but was dismissed.

Though trained to hunt all manner of undead and things, a Deathwatch Soldier would never attack him without reason. As the clock struck 3, the manhole cover nearest the sniper exploded from its resting place and soon after the street beneath his feet crumbled in. Effortlessly jumping to the remaining sidewalk, Nathaniel heard the sniper yell for people to flee.

"Wise advice good fellow!" Nathaniel called back with a hidden smile. "Run! Run! Far away from here!" Nathaniel added to the snipers shout. Drawing his blade from its sheathe, Nathaniel could barely contain his desire for battle. A rare full-fanged smile graced his face, though it was hidden by his respirator, as Nathaniel snarled "Time to put you back in the ground!"

[HIDE]Initiative Roll for Nathaniel
2d10 + 6
10 + 9 + 6 = 25 [/HIDE]

Last edited:
"If you're attached to living, and your head I suggest getting the hell out of here!"

"Run! Run! Far away from here!"

‘Animates.... in this neighborhood?’ Miss Ness thought from the moment she heard the first groan, She loosened Tiny’s leash to let the dog slip to a safe distance. He knew to let her deal with the dead and she knew he would jump in if something other threatened her person. As other civilian’s began to flee Miss Ness stood her ground, a odd stillness taking over her very manner as her heartbeat and breathing slowed. This had the effect of keeping her nerves calm and her mind well aware of its surroundings. Ness slipped her two exculpus from the secret pockets of her dress she, like most in her profession, never wielded anything but the distinctive blades but Ness had excelled in its use and graduated into using two.

Ness had no fear of animates, she couldn’t with her line of work, but that was in her clients homes... not something she expected to see in her own neighborhood and she was not about to let them roam. With steady, even strides Ness approached the closest animate while making peripheral notice of the other combatants

'Did they know?... How?’

[hide] Initiative Roll for Miss Ness
2 d10 + 6
10 + 8+6 = 24 [/hide]