[GAME] Unhallowed Metropolis: City of Shadows Episode 1: Volatile Mix

Duncan calmly checked his pocket watch as he approached Sentinel Street. Looking around the opulent street he concluded that for such a wealthy neighborhood to befall a deliberate attack from animates it was unlikely to be driven purely by scientific interests. The situation was odd, the fact “R.B†knew this was happening and yet made no effort to alert the armed forces bothered him. With only a minute remaining before the attack Duncan went pale under his mask, could he be walking into a set up.

Sounds of manhole covers flying off with significant force interrupted his train of thought, with animates emerging as the letter dictated, Duncan reached for his loaded revolver as he moved out of the way of the fleeing masses. The subjects had all become animates recently that much was clear, but what made them so unique was it some new strain of plague the doctor wonder as he prepared to fight. Set up or not he’d be less suspicious helping then fleeing.

[HIDE] Rolling 2d10 + prowess
6 - 4 + 5
6 + 4 + 5
total: 15 [/HIDE]

Irene watched with mild amazement as, without warning, the street below began to disappear. The pavement slabs were cracking apart and tumbling into the abyss below, swallowed up by the sewer system running beneath Arkham. Emerging from her hiding place down a side street not far from the spot where the rest of the bizarre party seemed to be converging as they separated themselves from the terrified throng of citizens, she reached under her clothes and drew her twin Derringers. So the seaside landlord had been telling the truth all along. It was time to collect her work. Provided the rest of these nutters did not get in her way.

[HIDE]2d10 + Prowess
4, 5 + 4

Irene's Initiative: 13[/HIDE]

Lurker
((Turn Order:

[HIDE]
1. Nathaniel
2. Victor and Ms. Ness
3. Benjamin
4. Animates 1-12
5. Duncan
6. Irene
[/HIDE]))

The animates stirred a little as the odd group around them prepared to fight. Even in their undead state they retained some of their senses, even more so considering they didn't seem to have been zombified for that long either. This was when an animate was at it's best, where they would attempt to restrain a target before sinking their infect teeth into their victims, between whatever inherent strength they had and a complete lack of any feeling resembling pain this tended to make them even more dangerous. The experienced zombie hunters in the group knew this almost instinctively, others perhaps not. Regardless of how well they knew what they were dealing with between the eager hunters and panicking locals running around they were alert and eagerly moving toward anything making a lot of noise. This would give this odd group the advantage as the animate were far more interested in the fleeing citizens than them.

((Alright combat begins, due to getting the highest initiative roll Nathaniel gets to make his combat actions first and rather than post a bunch of convoluted steps on how to due combat were just gonna individually walk folks through it when their turn comes up so it sinks in better.))

Slipping effortlessly through the panicking throng, Nathaniel's well-honed senses chose a target for his sword. A young girl tripped amid the chaos and as the animate closed in, Nathaniel jumped high and landed behind the zombie. His body moved with the grace of training and time. Though a rather cheap shot, attacking from behind, Nathaniel needed to work extremely quick and efficient. It was only a matter of time after all...

[HIDE]Attacking Animate #4 with Long Sword
3d10 + 4 (Melee Skill) (2d10 + 1 Bonus: Preferred Weapon)

10+ 10 + 5 + 4

Total: 29

(With holding 2nd Turn until later)
[/HIDE]

People were running everywhere and the animates chased them. in all this a figure wearing grey and black was standing calmly amidst the chaos. Miss Ness was watching all the figures as she decided what her next move would be, then she began to advance. Walking out of the crowd toward the animate nearest to her, Ness presented a tempting target as she prepared to strike if it got close.

[HIDE] Ness uses move 1 to approach then move 2 to hold in case she is attacked [/HIDE]

Lurker
Slipping effortlessly through the panicking throng, Nathaniel's well-honed senses chose a target for his sword. A young girl tripped amid the chaos and as the animate closed in, Nathaniel jumped high and landed behind the zombie. His body moved with the grace of training and time. Though a rather cheap shot, attacking from behind, Nathaniel needed to work extremely quick and efficient. It was only a matter of time after all...

[HIDE]Attacking Animate #4 with Long Sword

10+ 10 + 5 + 4

Total: 29

(With holding 2nd Turn until later)
[/HIDE]

The animate, though a cut above the typical husk was unaware of Nathaniel's strike. Between the animate's lack of awareness and Nathaniel's skill with the weapon made the creature easy prey for his attack.

[HIDE]
Attack on Unaware Animate DR = 11

Attackers Roll: 29

Result: Attack successful.

29-11= 18

Result: Incapacitating wound
[/HIDE]

Being taken by surprised by the attack, the animate was knocked forward on to the ground. If it were a living being it would be in intense pain probably, enough to convince it to just stay down. This however was no living man, it was a hungry undead, it's only feeling was the hunger for flesh, pain was not a sensation that exists within it. Still though as an animate its faculties were not quite all there it wouldn't get back up immediately.

[HIDE]
Animate #4 loses an action

[/HIDE]

"Gonna take a wild guess, red envelope told you to be here." he said to the Dhamphir, the first of the odd group that had arrived right as things started happening. "Little tip for fighting animates, kill'em quick because they don't get hurt." he explained as he lifted his Magwitch Reaper.

He singled out one of the horde to be his target, his feet planted firmly on the ground as he got ready to take his shot. The dust had long since cleared and visibility was good enough, the passerby had taken off running, all that was in front of him were the animates, no need to worry about crowds, and range wasn't an issue either.Nathaniel was mixing it up in the horde, but a Dhamphir should have the reflexes to not get hit. In the barrel of his favored MagWitch Reaper was a typical solid shot bullet. His target was identified, he quickly lined up his aim at an animate's head and pulled the trigger.

[HIDE]
Attacking Animate #6 in the head with Magwitch Reaper + Using Fast Aim
3d10 (210 + 1 bonus for preferred weapon)

+4 for rifle skill

+5 for aiming

8+9+9+4+5 = 35

-3 for aiming for the head = 33

[/HIDE]

The bullet rocketed toward the animate, initially unaware of the the sound of the bang caught it and the other animate's attention.

[HIDE]
DR 11 + 2 (coordination

Result: Success

Damage:

33 - 13= 20

+ 5 for aiming for the head

Result: Fatal Wound
[/HIDE]

The bullet hits the undead right between the eyes and passes though it's skull like a hot knife through butter, the force and impact taking the top half of the animates head clean off. What was left of the animate fell down motionless, very clearly dead.

"That's how it's done." Victor said, rather pleased with that shot.

[HIDE] 0 actions left until Victor's next turn[/HIDE]

((And were moving again, time for me to pester Matt.))

Damn, i should have brought some of my platoon with me and holy **** some of these fuckers here are fast, i must be getting old, that one over there popped that animate's head before i even got my weapon fully drawn. Damn to many thoughts running through my head, got to focus Ben thought to himself. Drawing his Kramer 2086 rifle and taking aim he aimed at the closest animate to him, took a breath, let it half out, held then squeezed the trigger.

[HIDE]Attacking Animate #8 in the head with Kramer 2086 rifle, using fast aim and fast draw and bullet to the brain
3d10(2d10+ 1 bonuse for preferred weapon)

+4 for rifle skill

+5 for aiming

7+9+10+4+5=35[/HIDE]

Last edited:
Lurker
[HIDE]DR 11 + 2 (coordination

Result: Success

Damage:

35 - 13= 22

+ 5 for aiming for the head

Result: Fatal Wound[/HIDE]

Just like when Victor had taken his shot, when Benjamin's bullet met the skull of the animate the top of the head was blown clean off, resulting it yet more pieces of animate brain to get scattered around. The body fell down motionless, another one bit the dust.

At this point two animates had been successfully slain, with one temporarily incapacitated, that left nine still active and hungry, and now more alert than ever. Any chance of catching them by surprise now, between the gunshots and the activity of those in the area they were very much alert. They could hear and smell the potential meals around them and prepared to bite.

[HIDE]

Animate #1 attempts to grapple Victor

2d10 + 4 (vitality)

5+4+4 = 13
[/HIDE]

One such animate used what functioning senses it had to target Victor, charging at him and leaping forward to attempt to pin him down and take a nice bloody bite out of him.

[HIDE]
DR 11 + 4

Result: Grapple failed

[/HIDE]

Victor quickly side stepped the attacking animate. After all the years he spent hunting these things he sure as hell wasn't about to let himself get grabbed an bitten. No self respecting undertaker would let something like that happen.

Soon the rest would find themselves under attack by the remaining animates, in the same manner that the first attempted to attack him.

Animate #2 attempts to grapple Irene
[HIDE]

2d10+4

8+3+4 =15
[/HIDE]

Animate #3 attempts to grapple Nathaniel

[HIDE]
2d10+ 4

1 +4 +4 =9

[/HIDE]

Animate # 5 attempts to grapple Ness

[HIDE]
2d10 +4

7+7+4 =18
[/HIDE]

Animate #6 attempts to grapple Duncan

[HIDE]
2d10+4

3+7+4= 14
[/HIDE]

Animate # 7 attempts to grapple Benjamin
[HIDE]
2d10+4

10+8+4= 22
[/HIDE]

The rest of the animates had yet to close in on the group, and one of them was still struggling to get up.

((Alright everyone has to make a defensive roll now, essentially you have to roll 2d10 and add it to your coordination, if you get a bigger number than what the zombie rolled you dont get grappled, if you get a smaller number you get grappled.

Now you do have options, you can use an action either from this turn or one from the next to dodge or parry, in which case your coordination is doubled for the defensive roll. There is also the option of using Second Chances to redo a failed roll, as of now everyone can do this once before taking a point off corruption, and if one reroll fails you can take another Second Chances roll but your corruption will increase.))

Last edited:
[HIDE]Animate #3 attempts to grapple Nathaniel

2d10+ 4

1 +4 +4 =9[/HIDE]

[HIDE]Nathaniel Roll's 2d10 + Coordination (4) to avoid grapple

10 + 10 + 4 = 24

Result: Grapple Failed
[/HIDE]

Though the Animate was fast, Nathanial was faster and gracefully sidestepped the attack. His gaze locked onto his original prey.

"Gonna take a wild guess, red envelope told you to be here." The sniper remarked coolly.

"Indeed. You received one as well then?" Nathanial asked before adding "Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it mind. Though I have quite a bit of experience in fighting just so you know."

Nathanial thought a second and then said "I'm not trying to be rude good fellow. Forgive me if I was."

Moving the short distance to the fallen animate, Nathanial raised his sword once more. This time to lop off the creatures head.

[HIDE]Nathanial uses held action to attack Animate #4 (attempting to behead)

8 + 10 + 9 + 4 = 31

31 - 3 (for aiming) = 28
[/HIDE]

Lurker
[HIDE]
Attack on incapacitated Animate #4
DR 11 + 1

11+ 1 =12

Attack successful

28-12= 16

+5 =21

Result: Fatal Wound
[/HIDE]

The animate's head came right off and rolled back into the hole that it came out of while the once struggling body ceased all motion.

"Indeed. You received one as well then?" Nathanial asked before adding "Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it mind. Though I have quite a bit of experience in fighting just so you know."

Nathanial thought a second and then said "I'm not trying to be rude good fellow. Forgive me if I was."

"Not a problem, just noticed you went for the back, most folks who fight these things a lot don't bother going for anything other than the limbs or the head." Victor said rather nonchalantly. "Nice decapitation by the way."