Mad Skillz
excuse me for not know, but what's chaiyo?
A Thai company that claims they own the rights to the Ultraman franchise outside of Asia, mostly backed up by a supposed signed document from Eiji Tsuburaya on the matter. Tsuburaya and Chaiyo have been in and out of court for quite some time now regarding the issue and I think Tsuburaya actually lost the case in Japan, but won it in Chaiyo's home country, so the situation is pretty precarious.

So if you want to get the set, I'd say go for it, just know what you're getting and who is actually behind it. I'll probably get it if only because US releases of tokusatsu are very rare. That said, you would probably get a much better product if this was done in cooperation with Tsuburaya.

SLICE
I'm hoping that if this does well, if Chaiyo is behind it, then it'll light a fire under Tsuburaya and they'll double their efforts to release a truly official version to the US.

I'm hoping that if this does well, if Chaiyo is behind it, then it'll light a fire under Tsuburaya and they'll double their efforts to release a truly official version to the US.

Why would THEY have anything to do with it? The past times have all been with either Mill Creek or that other one, and I doubt that since the ruling they would screw around like that. IT would be suicide for them as well as Shout Factory to be infringing.

I find it PATHETIC that Tsuburaya has made ZERO attempts at localizing Ultraman for the US. It was extremely successful the last time aka Great, so why not recall the thunder especially when the Toku lightning is hot?

Also, TNT made the dub and Tsuburaya made the Hawaiian dub.

http://augustragone.blogspot.com/

which is apparently suppose to be very accurate

Good. Wish they released the dub as well, but whatever, its still cool.:redface2:

Last edited:
The Bun Is In Your Mind
I hope it is the Hawaiian dub, because the TNT version is incomplete. That way, the sub could be synced to it.

Either way, they need to use the remastered sources for the release.

Wrong! The Hawaiian Dub is incomplete. All the audio made by Cinar, however, is sitting quietly in Tsuburaya's vaults in Japan. Actually, the dub made by Cinar was completely uncut, except for the openings and endings being replaced. When Turner remembered that they had the episodes in their vault, they edited the episodes for Daytime viewing, and aired them on TNT. They were, however, missing their copies of episodes 5, 6, & 7 (presumably stolen by an employee). The Hawaiian dubs however are a different story. While it is true that the Hawaiian dubs are uncut, a lot of the video and audio reels are missing. Remember that, unlike a professional studio like Cinar, the Hawaiian dubs were made at a University campus by theater students. That being said, they most likely neglected to make back-ups, and sold the episodes to the TV station as-is. And because of that, only 2 or 3 episodes remain.

Wrong! The Hawaiian Dub is incomplete. All the audio made by Cinar, however, is sitting quietly in Tsuburaya's vaults in Japan. Actually, the dub made by Cinar was completely uncut, except for the openings and endings being replaced. When Turner remembered that they had the episodes in their vault, they edited the episodes for Daytime viewing, and aired them on TNT. They were, however, missing their copies of episodes 5, 6, & 7 (presumably stolen by an employee). The Hawaiian dubs however are a different story. While it is true that the Hawaiian dubs are uncut, a lot of the video and audio reels are missing. Remember that, unlike a professional studio like Cinar, the Hawaiian dubs were made at a University campus by theater students. That being said, they most likely neglected to make back-ups, and sold the episodes to the TV station as-is. And because of that, only 2 or 3 episodes remain.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know they were dubbed by a university. Wonder if Obama was a voice for one of the children? :laugh:

Couldn't they redub the missing episodes any release them in some way? It's fairly recent tho. I am glad Cinar's version wasn't cut, but I hope they do find the missing ones so it wouldn't have to be done.

Love the show because its cool and because of the Axe technique. :castlerock:

This would be an epic film .

Turns out its Chaiyo apparently. How the **** are they STILL releasing ANYTHING when they have lost the case in Japan?
http://godzillaasylum.blogspot.com/2012/09/ultraseven-coming-to-dvd.html

I AM NOT GOING TO BUY THIS PIECE OF **** AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. I am outraged by this set and I'd rather bootleg than support these sons of bitches.

-End of rant.

EDIT: I am confused. So who actually has the rights now for the series?

Last edited:
The Bun Is In Your Mind
Couldn't they redub the missing episodes any release them in some way? It's fairly recent tho. I am glad Cinar's version wasn't cut, but I hope they do find the missing ones so it wouldn't have to be done.

Well, Cinar wasn't the one missing episodes 5-7, it was Turner. You see, back in in 1985, Turner Programming Services (TPS) paid Cinar to dub U7 for a possible run syndication. After failing to sell U7 to local and national stations, Turner put the tapes back into their vaults. It wasn't until 1994, probably to cash in on PR, they remembered they had U7 in their vaults, and put it on their Toons 'Till Noon and Monster Bash blocks on TNT. They knew that eps. 5-7 were missing, but instead if paying Cinar for extra episodes, they aired all the tapes they had already. When the contract expired between Tsuburaya and Turner, all materials (film, tapes, audio) reverted to, and were collected by, Tsuburya Proper, instead of Chaiyo.

According to August Ragone, Shout licensed it through some place called Golden Media Group, not Chaiyo.

I don't know the legal mumbo-jumbo but, it's a thing.

Hopefully more details come about it, because while I REALLY want it, I don't want to be putting money into the coffers of those whom don't deserve it.

Well, Cinar wasn't the one missing episodes 5-7, it was Turner. You see, back in in 1985, Turner Programming Services (TPS) paid Cinar to dub U7 for a possible run syndication. After failing to sell U7 to local and national stations, Turner put the tapes back into their vaults. It wasn't until 1994, probably to cash in on PR, they remembered they had U7 in their vaults, and put it on their Toons 'Till Noon and Monster Bash blocks on TNT. They knew that eps. 5-7 were missing, but instead if paying Cinar for extra episodes, they aired all the tapes they had already. When the contract expired between Tsuburaya and Turner, all materials (film, tapes, audio) reverted to, and were collected by, Tsuburya Proper, instead of Chaiyo.

I'm glad it's now legit, but its sad we won't get the dub for it.. :'(

Or will we?

It's over 8,000!
Why would THEY have anything to do with it? The past times have all been with either Mill Creek or that other one, and I doubt that since the ruling they would screw around like that. IT would be suicide for them as well as Shout Factory to be infringing.

BCI got Ultraman from Chaiyo and Mill Creek got Ultraman from BCI. Mill Creek ultimately got Ultraman from Chaiyo.