Lurker
Well I already own a bootleg set but its all the episodes of the TNT dub, Eleking's Debut episode that's Japanese with English subtitles, and like one or two more in Japanese with not subtitles.

Well yes it would be nice if Tsuburaya could release all of their stuff but for right now we have to settle for Ultraman Jonias to Ultraman Mebius (They can't do Leo either) and all of the movies (Except one but that one didn't have any business being made). So the very small bright size is Tsuburaya can release more stuff than Chaiyo. Plus they could potentially release Mirrorman, Fireman, and Jumborg Ace as well.

Never got why they don't market their LATER work more aggressively here so it can fund their court case. Use the money to overturn them with corruption via bribes.

If the defunct law system can't accomplish ****.....wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't they just BUY OUT Chaiyo and disintegrate it afterwards?

The Bun Is In Your Mind
Never got why they don't market their LATER work more aggressively here so it can fund their court case. Use the money to overturn them with corruption via bribes.

If the defunct law system can't accomplish ****.....wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's as big a mystery as two Starbucks across the street from each other.

Lurker

Bigdog -- bribery suggestions aside-- don't make the mistake of assuming something hasn't happened just because you haven't heard about it.

TPC has actively pushed their newer Ultraman movies/shows in the US and Europe. They screen films and have sales offices at the big industry trade shows like the American Film market, the European Film Market, MIFED, and the Cannes Film Market... events specifically designed to sell movies/shows to distributprs. They print brochures and sales sheets, and send out subtitled screener DVDs. Their website lists titles available for foreign licensing. They have a sales rep handling their titles in Europe and Australia. For years they had a US office in Century City, CA, just a short walk from Toho's offices.

The truth is there's not a lot of distributors interested in Ultraman, and TPC can't force companies to buy what they don't want. 4Kids licensed ULTRAMAN TIGA and it was cancelled less than halfway through the series. FUNimation's ULTRAMAN TIGA DVDs sold poorly, as did Images Ent's TIGA & DYNA and GAIA: BATTLE IN HYPERSPACE DVDs. Distributors looked at the week ratings and sales numbers and don't see much customer demand for Ultraman so they don't want to risk their money on it.

Since the original ULTRAMAN is by far the best known Ultra series in the US, TPC had planned to use it as a launching point for the other series. The Chaiyo situation threw those plans out the window, and TPC hasn't had much luck selling the other shows.

It's a safe bet that if that option existed they would have considered it. Likely TPC doesn't have the money or Chaiyo doesn't want to sell.

Would like to change his avatar
The truth is there's not a lot of distributors interested in Ultraman, and TPC can't force companies to buy what they don't want.

And that's why I don't think the American market would necessarily be flooded with Ultraman DVDs if Tsuburaya was calling the shots, like many people seem to. I think Chaiyo's the reason we have sets for Ultraman and Ultraseven, period. Ultraman, the franchise, is pretty much all Tsuburaya has, so they're not going to want to let it go for a small price. Tokusatsu, especially such an old show, is seen as such a niche thing that will appeal to such a small group of people, I don't think American companies are going to be interested unless it's very, very inexpensive for them -- meaning, an in-it-for-the-money group like Chaiyo letting these titles go for a smaller price than they're most likely worth, which is what they do, and which is why I think Ultraman and Ultraseven have sneaked past American distributors.

I'm puzzled by the people who are making such a fuss about the possible Chaiyo involvement in the Ultraseven release. (How many HK bootlegs have they bought? How many CDs or episodes have they downloaded and burned?) There's many ways to support the company if you want to do so. Anyway, how many people double-dip DVD buying? If Tsuburaya can ever manage to get back their titles, and they get a distributor lined up, they'd probably put out a superior set that I think even those who buy this new set would be interested in purchasing. Look at this as the HK set before the real one (only at least some care should be put into this release, and in the eyes of the court, this set is more legit than an HK could ever be). How many times have you turned your HK DVD into a clay pigeon after buying a legit release?

I think the people who bypassed BCI's Ultraman set and claim they'll boycott Shout!'s Ultraseven set are losing out. It's a rare thing to get a GOOD tokusatsu show released on R1 DVD -- usually it's **** that doesn't matter like Iron King, which must have cost a couple of wooden nickels for BCI to purchase.

I'm excited about this Ultraseven set, and I'm worried that people complaining about something they don't know the complete story of could possibly ruin its release.

Lurker
I think Chaiyo's the reason we have sets for Ultraman and Ultraseven, period.

Not so. TPC was in talks with Image Entertainment to release ULTRAMAN when the Chaiyo lawsuit got in the way. As I mentioned in my last post, TPC's plan was to use ULTRAMAN to reintroduce the franchise in America.

For ULTRAMAN, TPC has the original elements, the complete English dub tracks, behind the scenes footage, photos, publicity materials for the Japanese and US release, English translated scripts that are different than the US versions, etc. They have similar materials for the other shows. Chaiyo is the reason we got none of that. Without Chaiyo, we would have had ULTRAMAN -- with the full cooperation of the people who made the show -- many years ago, and likely (at least) ULTRA Q and ULTRA SEVEN as well. Not DVD rips and incomplete English dubs taken from bootlegs.

Ultraman, the franchise, is pretty much all Tsuburaya has, so they're not going to want to let it go for a small price.

I've seen people make the "Tsuburaya must charge too much" claim before, but I've never seen any evidence to back that up. I know people at TPC, reps at companies that have handled TPC programs, and people at companies that have licensed TPC movies/shows and none of them have said anything about pricing issues. I do recall that that several distributors contact TPC in the wake of POWER RANGERS' success but TPC wouldn't let Ultraman be "Sabanized" so the shows didn't sell. But that had nothing to do with TPC's asking price for their shows. From what I know, the "too expensive" claims are nothing but assumptions by some fans.

I'm puzzled by the people who are making such a fuss about the possible Chaiyo involvement in the Ultraseven release.

Chaiyo's involvement isn't "possible"; it's 100% guaranteed. Shout! got ULTRA SEVEN from Golden Media Group, and the owner of GMG said he licensed the show from UM Corp., the Japanese affiliate of Chaiyo.

There's many ways to support the company if you want to do so.

One of Chaiyo's executives said their company's survival is dependent on Ultraman licensing. Without licensing revenues Chaiyo won't be able to continue their fight with TPC. Some fans are making a fuss because the sales of shows like ULTRA SEVEN supports Chaiyo, and as long as Chaiyo is around the longer it will be until TPC can do anything with those shows here. No matter where someone stands on the issue, there's a definite connection between the licensing and the legal dispute between TPC and Chaiyo.

I'm excited about this Ultraseven set, and I'm worried that people complaining about something they don't know the complete story of could possibly ruin its release.

Doesn't the reverse hold true with not knowing the complete story but praising this release anyway?

I have friends at TPC, Golden Media Group and Shout! Factory and I realize there's some good and some bad about the DVD releases of ULTRA SEVEN and ULTRA Q. I think fans have valid reasons to be excited, and fans have valid reasons to be disappointed. The best thing is to get the facts straight and make an informed choice whether or not to support these sets.

Not so. TPC was in talks with Image Entertainment to release ULTRAMAN when the Chaiyo lawsuit got in the way. As I mentioned in my last post, TPC's plan was to use ULTRAMAN to reintroduce the franchise in America.

For ULTRAMAN, TPC has the original elements, the complete English dub tracks, behind the scenes footage, photos, publicity materials for the Japanese and US release, English translated scripts that are different than the US versions, etc. They have similar materials for the other shows. Chaiyo is the reason we got none of that. Without Chaiyo, we would have had ULTRAMAN -- with the full cooperation of the people who made the show -- many years ago, and likely (at least) ULTRA Q and ULTRA SEVEN as well. Not DVD rips and incomplete English dubs taken from bootlegs.

We could have gotten DUBS and other cool things? Not buying this set period now.

I've seen people make the "Tsuburaya must charge too much" claim before, but I've never seen any evidence to back that up. I know people at TPC, reps at companies that have handled TPC programs, and people at companies that have licensed TPC movies/shows and none of them have said anything about pricing issues. I do recall that that several distributors contact TPC in the wake of POWER RANGERS' success but TPC wouldn't let Ultraman be "Sabanized" so the shows didn't sell. But that had nothing to do with TPC's asking price for their shows. From what I know, the "too expensive" claims are nothing but assumptions by some fans.

At very least, it's not like the situation with Toei wanting so much money for their sets , but then again , even those are very reasonable for the American consumer versus the R2 release. I would totally buy sets of Ultraman if they were legit and gave quality to them.

I can even imagine them alongside my Classic Media and soon to be added Criterion Godzilla collection. Subs , dub.... what is there not to like? Seeing the first episode of Seven and clips scattered on the web makes me want to see the show in full and support the proper owners even more.

It's something I would wait for, and if I were rich enough, I would donate money to TPC themselves to help disown Chaiyo for good.

They should have just rolled with the tide and got them Sabanized in my opinion, but then again, wasn't Great a success here? Why weren't more episodes made of that show if it was a hit as I've heard claims of?

I am sad that the Chaiyo projects for Ultraman weren't able to be done, but I hope TPC will take them up and even get a reboot film......

I loved this statement so I underlined it for emphasis as this is what I feel myself.

Without licensing revenues Chaiyo won't be able to continue their fight with TPC. Some fans are making a fuss because the sales of shows like ULTRA SEVEN supports Chaiyo, and as long as Chaiyo is around the longer it will be until TPC can do anything with those shows here. No matter where someone stands on the issue, there's a definite connection between the licensing and the legal dispute between TPC and Chaiyo.

It's as big a mystery as two Starbucks across the street from each other.

Not exactly. While you got the concept of two coffee shops , imagine if, instead of a Starbucks across the street in Shibuya, a coffee shop called Starclucks that serve the same drinks with the exact same recipe ,the same logo and everything, yet have not the rights to do so.

Starbucks is then blocked to make more franchises in Japan because Starclucks, for whatever reason, uses some loophole to be able to block Starbucks and thus their company, from recuperating lost profit from copyright infringement.

Despite having made and developed their product, Starclucks Co. are allowed to do anything they want with the brand and Starbucks cannot say anything about it until it is overturned.

They can build franchises in Europe, Africa and the Americas, yet cannot create newer franchises in Japan because by said rule, only Starclucks is allowed to build franchises in the region.

*Using Starclucks for differentiation , as it would be called Starbucks under Starclucks Co.

Last edited:
Lurker
We could have gotten DUBS and other cool things? Not buying this set period now.

Okay do you not understand what INCOMPLETE means? Seriously all the dubs of the show suck. The only thing they have going for them is episode 12 which probably wouldn't have been released anyway. If this set has one thing going for it it respects the fact that Tsuburaya banned episode 12. Dubs and Special Features don't make a set great. Personally I hardly ever watch special features unless I want some back ground noise.