Tsuburaya have officially announced the details for (by their count) the 25th Ultraman series, Ultraman Trigger: New Generation Tiga. As you can tell by the title, the series will heavily homage Tiga, which is celebrating it's 25th anniversary. Trigger begins broadcasting on July 10th 2021 (9am, TV Tokyo Network). Veteran toku director Koichi Sakamoto will be head director for this series.

Ultraman Trigger fought against evil 30 million years ago. He managed to seal it away, but expended all his energy in the process and has lain dormant in a red star since then.

Kengo Manaka is a 21 year old botanist on the first Martian colony. When the colony is attacked by a monster he becomes merged with Ultraman Trigger and returns to Earth to join it's defense team, GUTS Select. And judging by the trailer above, he seems to have stolen Go-On Yellow's catchphrase! Kengo will be played by Raiga Terasaka, leader of the boy group Matsuri nine.

Much like Tiga before him, Trigger has three main forms. His default mode is "Multi Type." He also has a stronger form, "Power Type," and a more agile form, "Sky Type." His main weapon is the "Circle Arms" which also has three modes: a sword mode used by Multi Type, a claw mode used by Power Type, and a bow mode used by Sky Type.

Kengo transforms using the "GUTS Sparklence," a gun which transforms into the shape of a more traditional Ultra transformation device. It must be loaded with a GUTS Hyper Key (basically a Gaia Memory with the button in a different position) and he has one for each of Trigger's types.

Source

ph01_%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B6%E3%83%BC%E3%83%93%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB-724x1024.jpg

D

Dr Kain

25th? Isn't it the 33rd?

Anyway, looking forward to see what they do since it is going to have some sort of relationship with TIga.

S

scikaiju

Personally I'm just glad it looks like the N.Y.kick for this one doesn't look like it's powered by previous Ultras this time around.

S

scikaiju

Okay that's supposed to be "gimmick" not N.Y. Kicks, not sure what happened there.

I'm curious if this going to be like Heisei UltraSeven series, where it's just a continuity of Tiga where Dyna, a sequel, didn't happen or if it's going to take FAR into the future within same continuity of Neo Frontier Soace.
GUTS Select doesn't sound like upgrade of Super GUTS nor Neo Super GUTS (Tiga Gaiden); though it's possible that it might be different division.
I also like the idea of military organization made henshin item for Ultraman, where it's sound like of a hybrid of original Sparklence and gun.
Regardless, I'm curious how this would turn out and judging from the image, it looks like Tiga might make cameo; though, I don't know if Daigo is going to appear, depending on when/where it take place.

Given that the current recap series had to completely remove Daigo from clips of his own series because his agency wouldn't let them show him, I doubt they're building us up to see him again. I don't expect to see Shin (Dyna) either - the actor is currently singing Zenkaiger's opening theme and is also rumored to be in some sort of hot water due to tweets he made about the protests in Hong Kong or something (it's very unclear).

But literally the first thing you see in episode one of Dyna is an establishing shot of a human colony on Mars, and while I've only seen the first few episodes I have heard that Daigo turns up later and he is described as having become a botanist on Mars (which is probably what they are homaging with this new protagonist). So unless I just haven't got to the bit in Dyna where the Martian colony is destroyed forever, I don't see why Trigger couldn't happen 25 years later in the same timeline?

Or alternatively, they are indeed just homaging the Neo Frontier duology and this is yet another New Generation show in another new dimension, which just happens to resemble the Neo Frontier dimension.

Given that the current recap series had to completely remove Daigo from clips of his own series because his agency wouldn't let them show him, I doubt they're building us up to see him again. I don't expect to see Shin (Dyna) either - the actor is currently singing Zenkaiger's opening theme and is also rumored to be in some sort of hot water due to tweets he made about the protests in Hong Kong or something (it's very unclear).

But literally the first thing you see in episode one of Dyna is an establishing shot of a human colony on Mars, and while I've only seen the first few episodes I have heard that Daigo turns up later and he is described as having become a botanist on Mars (which is probably what they are homaging with this new protagonist). So unless I just haven't got to the bit in Dyna where the Martian colony is destroyed forever, I don't see why Trigger couldn't happen 25 years later in the same timeline?

Or alternatively, they are indeed just homaging the Neo Frontier duology and this is yet another New Generation show in another new dimension, which just happens to resemble the Neo Frontier dimension.

Which is why I expect it's going to do Heisei UltraSeven (and UltraSeven X) setting, where it is continuation of Tiga ONLY, where Dyna and anything else later never happened (UltraSeven had several series that take place within own universe where there were no crossovers with other Ultraman at all); though, the premise/plot sounds more like remake/reboot than continuation, where Tiga may not be Daigo at all.
It's not surprising if it's taking place in different dimension which is common for franchise anyway.

post-5847-ultraman-trigger-news-yuna.jpg
Tsuburaya have announced the details for the female lead in Ultraman Trigger. The character will be called Yuna Shizuma and she will be played by Runa Toyoda. Toyoda has been acting since she was five years old, but might be most familiar to us toku fans from her brief role in Kiramager as Takamichi's (Kiramei Silver) former school crush.

Yuna is a relation of Mitsukuni Shizuma. Mitsukuni found evidence of a dark power that would threaten the Earth, and founded the Sizuma (without an 'h') Foundation, a private company specializing in space exploration and extraterrestrial archeology. Mitsukuni also formed the Terrestrial Peaceable Union, or TPU, which is the larger oranisation of which GUTS Select is a part. As the youngest daughter in the family, Yuna became a part of GUTS Select where she will work as an instructor for new recruits such as Kengo.

Last edited:
%E2%98%85IMG_2339_%E3%83%AC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%83%E3%83%81%E5%BE%8C_-683x1024.jpg

Another new cast member has been announced. This is Akito Hijiri. He's a member of GUTS Select and a "genius engineer" who developed the Sparklence and GUTS Hyper Keys that allow Kengo to transform. He also has a bit of a crush on Yuri, who he went to school with. Akito is played by Shunya Kaneko, who says he is a big fan of the original Ultraman, Seven, and Leo!