Tsuburaya tend to not give us the whole picture in early posters.
The 1st poster of UGL showed us Mebius and Gomora. For Revenge of Belial, Ultra Brothers almost took half of the 1st poster, and they all ended up not being the major role in the movie.

There is still chance for UFZ, Tiga, or anything.

In Ultra Galaxy Legend, Dyna was added only at the last minute.

Worse yet, Asuka only had 2 minutes of screen time! Not to mention that there wasn't even a teeny, tiny hint in the beginning credits that a certain long-lost-and-presumed-DEAD Ultraman was coming back ... :mad: And finally, when he did appear, we don't even get a hint of what happened to him, or how he survived the end of his own show!

Well, hopefully, UltramanSaga will take care of that ...

Hopefully, they'll also make sure folks who watched Revenge of Belial know what happened to Ultimate Force Zero. After all, paying $120 for those two gaidens may be a bit much ...

Mad Skillz
It should be fairly easy to piece together. There was a wormhole that sent him to a different universe, that universe was the Shouwaverse. Nothing too complicated.

Plus, according to an article on SciFiJapan when The Revenge of Belial came out, there's been a recent retcon stating that when Shin and Ultraman were separated, Shin lost his memories of being an Ultraman. Which really sucked ...
It's not a retcon. In the last episode of the series, after Ultraman and Hayata are separated, Hayata says he doesn't remember anything that happened after the ball of light crashed into him.

Last edited:
Well, ...

It should be fairly easy to piece together. There was a wormhole that sent him to a different universe, that universe was the Shouwaverse. Nothing too complicated.

It's not a retcon. In the last episode of the series, after Ultraman and Hayata are separated, Hayata says he doesn't remember anything that happened after the ball of light crashed into him.

I fear you may be overlooking a few things about Asuka's abduction into the Showaverse.

Some thoughts below:

[HIDE]
First, that wormhole that took him away from his friends was deliberately shut down before the Kraken could rescue him. That forced the remaining SuperGUTS members to report Asuka's loss to the TPC. The same TPC whose top intelligence officer had abused his authority to abduct and murder Asuka to steal the power of Dyna for his own use.

Second, after they reported the loss, and were mourning their lost comrade, they got a vision showing him alive, in human form, in his spaceship. But, there were disturbing signs that he was suffering from severe amnesia. And, that vision ended with Asuka re-uniting with his long-lost father in his spacecraft and flying away into the light at the end of the tunnel. Literally. One could be forgiven for them thinking that they're seeing him going to Heaven. Bittersweet comfort, that. Yet, two of the SuperGUTS members seem to think that he's headed toward the planet of the Ultramen, and the others seem to hope that Asuka will return. Granted, they had no chance of following him, and the only thing they could hope for is that he would be returned. Since that was the end of the show, we never saw it, of course.

Third, when we do see Asuka again, he clearly believes that he's still in his home universe, since he tells the Pendragon's crew that he'd been known on Earth as Ultraman Dyna. So, apparently, the GranSphere DID out him when it made its' threats. Yet, Asuka's Earth is not the Showa Earth. What is clearly apparent though, is that he has been fully-trained as an Ultraman. Dispatching both the Zetton* assassin and the space dragon** that had overwhelmed the talented Pendragon crew with ease, and transporting them to the Monster Graveyard, which is unknown in the Tiga universe. Plus, at the end of Ultra Galaxy Legend, he leaves with the Pendragon's crew, stating that he's still on a journey too. And, as the humans leave, we see that both Ultraman and Ultraman Mebius are very happy for them ...

Keep in mind that Asuka was extemely weak, if not slowly dying; when he finally returned to the Kraken. And then is too weak to fight the wormhole that took him away. That showed he needed advanced medical help that the human race couldn't give him, so his friends were saying "goodbye", believing he was on a suicide mission. And, he did get that help - immediately after the wormhole closed. And, we know that Ultramen handle wormholes like we handle doors. Plus, he'd clearly been transformed into a Gaia-type Ultraman, a human infused with the Light, without being possessed by an Ultraman.

Now, this is speculation on my part, but it seems obvious that somebody set it up that, one way or the other, Asuka would be removed from Earth and humanity. And the trigger for this was Gondou's attempted theft of Dyna's power - by murdering Shin Asuka. That started a series of attempts to convince SuperGUTS, and the rest of the TPC military, that Asuka was dead. First, Asuka was revived after Gondou's attack, then presumed dead again after the blast that destroyed the Sphere-possessed Ultraman "Terrannoid"***, leaving the morpher behind. Forcing SuperGUTS, for the first time, to fight on their own ... (And not very well.. ) However, Asuka has been transported to where the only two members of GUTS in civilian life would care for him. But that attempt to hide him failed, and Yumimura was taking him home, having returned his morpher to him. So, when Asuka and SuperGUTS destroyed the GranSphere, someone created that wormhole to snatch him, leaving the others behind. Yet that someone informed his friends that he was alive at the end, and would be loved - but he would not be returned to them. Not this time.

We know, from Ultra Galaxy Legend, that Ultras do not forgive those who steal their power of Light. Or even make the attempt ... Yet they love human beings greatly, using their own life forces to save them. One can only imagine how they would feel about a human who died because someone wanted their power ...

*Hmmm, the villain in the upcoming movie is called "HyperZetton". You don't suppose the Zettons are sending it to Earth to avenge the defeat of their first monster at the hands of the Science Patrol - and are hitting the wrong universe? Or, is it to avenge Asuka's execution of their assassin, by retaliating against Asuka's old teammates?

**Dyna watchers were probably amused that Asuka made sure to blow the space dragon to smithereens so that it couldn't regenerate into a bunch of micro-dragons. Which Gondou had chastised them for ... See episode 6: Two-Thousand Attacks.

***General "Frankenstein" Gondou called the Ultraman he'd dug up, on Mars, Ultraman Terrannoid. Shouldn't he have called it, Ultraman Marsian?[/HIDE]

As far as Shin Hayata's situation goes, it was stated in an earlier version of that final episode that Shin was still holding the Beta Capsule, and was awaiting Ultraman's return. As a matter of fact, that version had it that Ultraman had to return, so he could keep Shin alive, since Zoffy's artificial life was a short-term solution to the problem ...

Finally, we know that at least two Showa Ultraman hosts willingly emigrated to Ultra, even though Legend states that the light there is too strong for ordinary humans. There's probably a nice little shielded community for humans on Ultra for retired Ultraman hosts. Maybe that's where Shin Asuka was all this time?

Perhaps it's time for the human/Ultraman relationship to take the next step. Instead of just having Ultras visit Earth, have some humans visit Ultra, set up diplomatic relations, trade agreements, that sort of thing. If nothing else, it would be a fitting and optimistic end to the Ultra series.

J

Juspion

That was the english dub and not the original Japanese dub. The original Japanese dub clearly shows Hayata retaining no memories of being Ultraman. From your dear wikipedia:
"This is a rather different finish to the series than stated in the English dub, which states both that Ultraman will return and that Hayata retains his beta capsule as he awaits Ultraman's return."

In case you still asking, this is the translation of what Hayata said in Japanese after being separated from Ultraman and seing Ultraman as red ball of light again as in the 1st episode:
"That Red Ball. I hit it at Ryuugamori, I hit it but what happened after that?"

The light in M-78 was too strong for living human, both Hideki Goh and Seiji Hokuto is basically dead and they are merged with Ultramen that can protect them from the light. Asuka himself is not affected by the light and can cross over the barrier of the Ultra Space Port because he's merged with Dyna, same goes to Hayata who merged with Ultraman. All I can get from your theory is that your a Dyna fanatic and it's useless to offer any you any simple theory, because people like you will only accept their own overly complex theory no matter what other people said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad Skillz
...yeah, that mega post about Dyna doesn't really have much to do with my point. None of that really negates the fact that he was probably just spit out to a different universe. Who knows how long he's been there.

And Juspion is right, the Japanese version has Hayata saying "That's the ball of light that hit me! And I...I can't remember anything after...", it's not a retcon of any sort.

That was the english dub and not the original Japanese dub. The original Japanese dub clearly shows Hayata retaining no memories of being Ultraman. From your dear wikipedia:
"This is a rather different finish to the series than stated in the English dub, which states both that Ultraman will return and that Hayata retains his beta capsule as he awaits Ultraman's return."

The light in M-78 was too strong for living human, both Hideki Goh and Seiji Hokuto is basically dead and they are merged with Ultramen that can protect them from the light. Asuka himself is not affected by the light and can cross over the barrier of the Ultra Space Port because he's merged with Dyna. All I can get from your theory is that your a Dyna fanatic and it's useless to offer any you any simple, because those kind of people will only accept their own overly complex theory no matter what other people said.

Careful, I advise you to get your foot off that slippery slope that's leading you back to some very bad behavior that you exhibited here when you first arrived ...

As far as the first part goes, Tsuburaya authorized that separate English-version ending. Why? It would have been simpler to keep everything the same.

Surely the Ultras have the technology to ensure that Hideki and Seiji can either be revived with artificial lives and live on their own, not forever merged with Jack and Ace. Because remember, their minds and psyches are still alive. And, therefore, they should be able to lead independent lives.

"Complicated" means that you haven't thought about it. Or, rather, you don't want to.

And, finally, this Dyna "fanatic" is anticipating the new movie, hoping that the biggest loose end of Ultra history will be finally wrapped up in Saga. As it should have been done 13 years ago.

Last edited:
J

Juspion

Can you show the source that said Tsuburaya authorized the dub? Do you realized that dubbing company doesn't need the authorization from the original company to change the lines?

All they need is pay the licensing fee and they can change it whatever they like. They might asked the source company to help them do the dub, but in the end they can do whatever they like as long as they have the license. That's why there are bad dubbing of anime such as One Piece from 4kids and the bad dubbing of Tiga from 4kids also. That's also why the very bad canadian dubbing of Ultraseven exist. Don't forget the dubbing of Dynaman which changed the storyline completely. That's why Robotech which was dubbed and culled from three different anime source exist. When a company hold the license of a foreign media franchise country to release in their country, they can do whatever they want with the product of that franchise in their country. 4Kids can change Tiga into a show with incomprehensible dialogue if they want to in the US, they don't have to wait for authorization from Tsuburaya.

Of course, if it bothers the company a lot, they can choose not to sell the license to their other products.
And trust me, I've never heard any english dub being the official dub of a Japanese film, series, or anime. Except Vampire Hunter D movie, which was actually dubbed in english first. If it's originally dub in Japanese, that's the dub to go.
see here for more example:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CutAndPasteTranslation

I watched Dyna many, many times and like Aoi Kurenai I simply think that Dyna got spitted to another universe. You want to think otherwise, be my guest, not like give a ****. Slippery slope? Ha ha yeah right, whatever. You're always be annoying and act like a-know-it all anyway, it's not gonna make any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skreeong!
h4.jpg

I do believe that's Ultraman's Type C face.

Can you show the source that said Tsuburaya authorized the dub? Do you realized that dubbing company doesn't need the authorization from the original company to change the lines?

All they need is pay the licensing fee and they can change it whatever they like. They might asked the source company to help them do the dub, but in the end they can do whatever they like as long as they have the license. That's why there are bad dubbing of anime such as One Piece from 4kids and the bad dubbing of Tiga from 4kids also. That's also why the very bad canadian dubbing of Ultraseven exist. Don't forget the dubbing of Dynaman which changed the storyline completely. That's why Robotech which was dubbed and culled from three different anime source exist. When a company hold the license of a foreign media franchise country to release in their country, they can do whatever they want with the product of that franchise in their country. 4Kids can change Tiga into a show with incomprehensible dialogue if they want to in the US, they don't have to wait for authorization from Tsuburaya.

Of course, if it bothers the company a lot, they can choose not to sell the license to their other products.
And trust me, I've never heard any english dub being the official dub of a Japanese film, series, or anime. Except Vampire Hunter D movie, which was actually dubbed in english first. If it's originally dub in Japanese, that's the dub to go.
see here for more example:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CutAndPasteTranslation

I watched Dyna many, many times and like Aoi Kurenai I simply think that Dyna got spitted to another universe. You want to think otherwise, be my guest, not like give a ****. Slippery slope? Ha ha yeah right, whatever. You're always be annoying and act like a-know-it all anyway, it's not gonna make any difference.

You was right; Tsuburaya didn't own the rights at the time the first English-languange dub was made. However, that first version is the one that most Americans know about.

And, given that they insisted that Tiga not be cut the way Toei let Saban cut ZyuRanger for Power Rangers, they could have written the contract so that the storyline wasn't changed.

Here:

DVD releasesIn Region 1, BCI Eclipse, under license from then-rightsholder Chaiyo Productions, released Ultraman on DVD for the very first time in 2 volume sets in 2007. These releases feature the original Japanese soundtrack and the original 1960s American dub. BCI also released a complete series set on October 14, 2008. These releases fell out of print as BCI Eclipse ceased operations in December 2008.[1]

In June 2009, Mill Creek Entertainment acquired the rights to the series and subsequently re-released the complete series set on September 29, 2009, in a 4-disc set with the same special features, but, unfortunately, not the complete English dubs of some of the episodes.[2] By that time, rights to Ultraman had reverted to Tsuburaya Productions after a court case.

There has also been a digital re-release movement in Japan where the entire Ultraman series are to be released as a collector's box set. These box sets feature the entire series plus various limited edition items such as posters, etc.