urb01-06-768x432.jpg

OK, so for anyone wondering what's going on with this series' official release, here's the low-down. The first episode was broadcast on Saturday (three days ago) and Crunchyroll still hasn't given any indication that they will be simulcasting the show. :(

HOWEVER...Tsuburaya have put the raw episode up on their youtube channel without any region locking. Some enterprising fans noticed that youtube allows any user to submit closed captions to any video they like. So they pulled together to create English captions and submitted it...and whoever is running Tsuburaya's account clicked the button that OKs it to be added to their video.

So weirdly, you can watch the first episode via an official raw stream with unofficial English fansubs. At this point nobody really knows what will happen going forwards.

But make sure you are quick - Tsuburaya is likely to remove the episode when the next one airs in Japan. Episode two is broadcast on Saturday July 14th, so GO GO GO!

For those of you that have already seen it...what did you think?

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Wait, this airead already? I thought it wasn't premiering for another few week's.

Wait, this airead already? I thought it wasn't premiering for another few week's.
Yup, the first episode aired in Japan on Saturday 7th. It will probably be taken down again before episode two airs.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

I watched the first episode and I wasn't all that impressed. Part of it might have just been the subtitle translation as I felt lost at times other part might have just been because the characters didn't grasp me. Either way, I'm not feeling like I need to keep up with it on a weekly basis.

Why would they take it down?
Tsuburaya has put raws on youtube for previous series but it seemed that they were intended as more of a "catch up" option for Japanese fans, and Tsuburaya would take them down before the next episode aired. It seems that was their intent this time too; It's just that without Crunchyroll to sub the show fans took matters into their own hands.

There may be at least one other fansub group that have said they will make it available "for archiving purposes" so you may be OK if you want to catch up some other time.

It didn't strike me as the greatest opening episode either. But it's pretty normal for shows to take a while to grow on me so I'll stick with it.

D

Dr Kain

It didn't strike me as the greatest opening episode either. But it's pretty normal for shows to take a while to grow on me so I'll stick with it.

I don't know, so far the only premier I would say it was better than was the first season of Ginga.

Did they air it already in Japan? How about in Crunchyroll?
Yeah the first two episodes have aired on Japanese TV. Crunchyroll have not simulcast either of them or commented on the show in any way. It's not known why; Maybe Tsuburaya are going all in with Amazon following Orb Origin, or maybe Geed just didn't get enough views to convince Crunchyroll to keep the toku experiment going?

The first episode has been removed from Youtube and the second has been region-locked to Asia. Tsuburaya have apparently put out a statement saying that it should not be long until they can announce how Western fans will be able to watch the show, though that hasn't stopped a couple of fansub groups from taking it on anyway.

D

Dr Kain

I figured the moment they region locked episode 2 meant they finished their deal with a US company. If it isn't Crunchyroll or Funimation though, I'll have no choice but to go the fansub route.