DSP

Lurker
I tried hard to find a damn talkback thread for this show D: but to no avail and it would have been major thread necromancy so I Thought why not make a new one, anyways I've chosen Ultraman Nexus as my first array into a full Ultraman Series, and tbh I'm loving it so much right now, for the past few days I've been watching the first 22 episodes, and while I still think ultraman fights like an idiot at times (seriously dude needs to learn how to dodge) I love the action and the chester planes while obviously models have a certain charm to them.

The character development in this show, I'm not sure if it's because of how much I'm used to year long development of characters or if nexus is a bit fast in that department but komon has really come along even if it was somewhat predictable with the whole riko development but it was nice to see the villains provide a nice mindfuck.

Speaking of villains, I thought the idea of random monsters would bother me but so far I've seen some amazing monster designs, recently the one with the phase crystals on his back, his battles were so fun to watch and when chester alpha flew around him in that random phase gave a wonderful sense of scale. And well it's nice that a reoccurring villain has appeared even if I can't stand his face XD

So far my only gripes with the series is how ultraman fights and how he always gets his left arm hurt D: and the acting isss a bit cheesy but watching japanese live action shows for so many years I guess I can deal with it. I say not a bad way to start off my probable ultraman obsession, here's to the next set of episodes o/

Oh I would appreciate if people would hide spoilers for episodes 23 onwards atm cos I really don't want to get spoiled on this >>

HEROW
I've seen it back when it was airing and I was so lured by the great designs in both the Ultra, the uniforms, the ships and the kaijins. The opening themes by doa were definitely rocking and are always in my playlist. The tone was definitely dark which made me love it more. The whole drama with Faust was really heart-breaking, and also when you get to know Mephisto's back-story. We also get dying/disappearing lead characters which also added to the tragedy, which was great for me. Kinda felt they rushed the ending though, but still beautiful and definitely to be remembered.

Just remember the watch Ultraman The Next prior to watching this series since they are connected.

I give Nexus 9/10 for suiting my taste. I'm disappointed that it didn't impress a whole lot of people though...

If you liked this series, try Ultraseven X too. :thumbs:

I give Nexus 9/10 for suiting my taste. I'm disappointed that it didn't impress a whole lot of people though...

Its not really that people didn't like it... Sure, many would say that it is not a "true" Ultraman show, but I haven't heard that many negative comments about it.
Had Nexus been allowed to run during prime time as it was originally supposed to, I think the ratings would have been much higher.

[hide]my first Ultra series were Taro and Great, but I still consider this is my first Ultra series since I don't remember much of the former. anyway, I like the dark tone they went for in this series and I find the idea of having multiple Deunamists for Nexus interesting, especially since it also gives him different forms as well.
I like the Night Raiders: their uniforms, their vehicles and of course, the Memory Police. I just hated Komon and Nagi so much, they deserve to die seriously lol.
moving onto the Deunamists: I like the 2nd Deunamist, Ren, the most. his cheerful nature to hide the fact that he was going to die soon is probably the most suitable backstory for an Ultraman IMO. Jun was awesome, but I think he just makes me too depressed lol.
villains! I think Mizorogi was probably the most badass baddie in the series. it's nice to see that he became evil because he was so afraid to die. I'm sure most of us also feel that way too, so it's easy to relate to him. Zagi was also another excellent manipulative bastard, like Long from Gekiranger.
despite all of these aspects that I like, I hated so many characters, like Komon and Nagi for instance. those two literally annoyed me during the first half of the series, it was such a pain to watch until Nagi finally decided to become a Defrost Ice Queen, but Komon still annoyed me til the finale. he never stopped whining about everything![/hide]

Last edited by a moderator:
HEROW
Its not really that people didn't like it... Sure, many would say that it is not a "true" Ultraman show, but I haven't heard that many negative comments about it.
Had Nexus been allowed to run during prime time as it was originally supposed to, I think the ratings would have been much higher.

Though the Ultra N Project didn't do as well as I'd hoped it would. :disappoin

I was really promising though...

Mad Skillz
Yeah, I think the old talkback thread was deleted when we had those database issues a few months ago.

Anyway, I personally loved watching Nexus. It was a really interesting take on the franchise, almost Kamen Rider-fying it with the dramatics, but done a lot better. The only time I felt the show just dragged was that arc after Riko dies when it seems like Komon is depressed over her for the longest time, not to say he should be sunshine and smiles over the death of his girl, but it was just dragged out without much meat or new imagery to what we saw.

I loved the acting in the series, actually, Japanese or not, these were some great cast members that knew how to emote and make their characters feel alive. I was almost always drawn into the world and events going on because they portrayed everything with such emotion. I've never had issues with Ultraman-style slow fights, so it was fun for me to watch, the only thing in that regard that I did not like was the CGI. Seemed to me as if things just got worse than in recent years when it came to that.

Much as I liked the first half of the series, the second half was much much much much more amazing. They both deal with the sense of hopelessness that the Deunamist feels, but there is a clear change in pattern that makes the show more intriguing to me. The second half definitely had a slower pace than the first, but it doesn't get in the way of me liking the show at all, there's a bit more reason for me to enjoy the slow nature of what it became at that point because of who the Deunamist is.

DSP

Lurker
Alright, I just finished the show, and wow I'm really pleased with how it turned out, I mean wow, one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. A lot happened in the final ep with the light switching, the betrayal and dark zagi, actually I was more pleased with komon finally getting the damn light XD

I liked komon's character he's the hero who despite lacking the power of ultraman still manages to help immensly, sure he was a bit of a desspot after riko died and it did drag on a bit but I'm glad he got out of it. Anyway back to the ending despite all the good stuff that happened I feel it should have been spread out a bit over two episodes instead of the one, I feel like a lot more could have been done with nagi being an ultraman, at least it would have made the build up to komon getting a light that bit more spectacular.

Anyways yeah Nexus for my first ultraman series totally blew me away, it was well written, amazing designs and likeable characters for the most part, it's only a shame that it spoiled the Next for me as I didn't realise it was connected and at some points made me feel like I was missing something. It's also a shame I hear the project that this was a part of never lifted off D: which I guess is why Nexus never appeared in Ultra Galaxy :C I would loved to have seen more of this universe but I guess the ending was at least fairly self contained to keep me satisfied.

Mad Skillz
which I guess is why Nexus never appeared in Ultra Galaxy
Well the thing with that was that the Ultraman characters in there were characters who came from M78, like Neos and Max come from M78, albeit alternate versions of the original timeline, but that's about as close to reason for it as I can think. Tsuburaya's not one to shun their own creations.