S

scikaiju

Ultraman Daxium – Episode 1

-----
OP – Mercy Drive – Burn in my Light
-----

In a darkened room an older man in his sixties sat alone. The only light in the room was the faint glow of the computer screen on his desk. He waited patiently just staring at it. Before long the screen started to warp and twist. He didn’t panic , this is what he was waiting for. Eyes glancing at the door briefly he said, “Is everything ready?â€

“Almost,†an ethereal voice spoke to him. “The time table may have to be altered.â€

“There’s no need to do that,†he insisted.

“Dimensional breaches have been becoming more and more frequent,†the voice informed him. “There is some concern a larger entity may be next.â€

“That’s why I created that special task force,†he argued. “Hell if it wasn’t for those first few things showing up I never would have been able to get it off the ground.â€

“The entities coming through in the future would be much larger than the ones you currently face.â€

“How much larger can they be?â€, he demanded.

“Our latest report indicate they can be as large as the building in the places you call cities.†He couldn’t say anything to that, he was too busy trying to imagine it and that boggled his mind. “We have chosen a candidate, have you chosen one as well?â€

“Yes,†he answered still thinking about the size, “yes I have.â€

“We wish there was another way.â€

“It’s a war, sacrifices must be made. I understand that completely. We will be ready.â€

“Hopefully both our sides will be.†The screen started returning to normal. Soon it was like nothing happened. He sat there for a long time looking at it.

Turning on a desk light he picked up the phone and dialed a particular number. Waiting for a few moments he finally heard, “Yeah Dad?â€

“I’ve heard from our friends,†he said. “The breaches are happening faster than they anticipated.â€

“It would explain why we’ve been so busy lately. Are we going to have to do this faster now?â€

“Apparently,†was his only answer.

“Well I’m ready for it.†Quiet for a moment he said, “What am I going to tell the others?â€

“We’ll worry about it when we get there. Although we could avoid all of this if you would just take that command position like I told you to. I have enough pull that I can still get it for you.â€

“Dad we went through already. I’m having a hard enough time being seen as one of the guys as it is. Forcing my way to a top rank isn’t going to help matters any.â€

“Have it your way,†he said giving up, for now. “Just be ready Joseph.â€

“I will Dad, see you soon.â€

Hanging up the phone he muttered, “He picks the worst times to show his independence.â€

“It’s July 28, 2025 and today is the official anniversary of the United Nations Defense Force,†A cheerful news reporter said on the television screen. “Five years ago today the major nations of the world pulled their resources to battle strange, otherworldly creatures they couldn’t fight on their own. The man who was one of the main people responsible for getting this joint venture together, Harold Richardson, had this to say about the anniversary.â€

The imaged changed to man in his sixties standing behind a podium. He was flanked on either side by men and women in black uniforms with red shoulders and stripes down their arms and legs, with red piping around the pockets. “Today is a very special occasion. Today marks the day the world realized it needed to pull together to get things done. The UNDF,†he gestured to the people beside him, “is proof of that. My only hope that after the threat has been neutralized the world will continue to realize that…â€

“Turn that **** off,†a man with his long brown hair tied back in a ponytail demanded. Hands covered in grease he worked on the old car engine in front of him. One of the other people in the garage did want he wanted, but only turned down the sound.

“What’s the matter little bro?â€, a man with a mustache and short brown hair smirked. “Don’t want to be reminded about how you washed out of the program?†He knew what his older brother was trying to do and wasn’t going to play along, at least not today any way.

“Ken didn’t wash out Jeff,†one of the other ended up saying. â€He was medically disqualified.â€

“It only means the loser didn’t have the stomach for it.†Jeff walked over and leaned on the side just looking for a reaction. “Ain’t that right? How many times did they make you clean up that flight simulator?â€

“At least I tried and not just talked about it,†he said not looking at him. And mentally kicking himself for taking the bait.

Jeff’s nostrils flared a little, “All that did was proved you’re nothing but a grease jockey, just like the rest of us. And that’s all you are ever going to be.â€

“That grease jockey as you put it,†their boss said coming into the room, “is one of the main reasons why most of you still have a job. Ken’s the only one who really seems to understand those new engines they’re coming out with.â€

“An engine’s an engine,†Jeff waved it off. “They all work the same way.â€

“Well they do after I fix your mistakes,†Ken smirked.

“Watch it little bro, one of these days your mouth is going to cut a check your ass can’t cashâ€

“I’ve heard it all before Jeff,†Ken said getting a rag to wipe off his hands. Jeff walked away when the boss made him. Under his breath Ken asked for the millionth time, “How am I related to that jackass again?â€

“Don’t let him bother you man,†one of the others told him, “He’s just jealous of what you can do. And nothing says you can’t try out for them again, medication has come a long way in the past few years.â€

“It wasn’t meant to be,†he said walking away from the car. “Besides, who really wants to be up there any way?†A moment later an alert was heard in the background. Everybody rushed to the window while somebody turned the volume back up on the television. Before long two black jet with red highlights flew to the west. A wistful look on his face Ken mumbled, “Yeah who really wants to be up there?â€

A couple of hours later those same jets flew to a base that was built into a mountainside. A hanger opened to allow the jets entry. Support crew immediately ran to them before they stopped and the cockpit hatched popped open. “Is it me or are these things getting bigger?â€, A pilot with the name “Waters†on his nametag said. “I swear that… whatever it is was bigger than one of the Razor Wings.â€

“And just as maneuverable,†said the other with the tag Watanabe. “What do you think Jess?â€

Behind his gunman took off her helmet revealing shoulder length red hair, “We’re just lucky there were only three of them. And we downed one of them before they noticed we were there.â€

“That’s my girl,†Waters joked, “always the optimist. Ain’t that right rich boy?â€, he asked the person behind him.

“Somebody in this group has to be,†he answered, Richardson on his uniform jacket. “I’d try it but you guys would probably expect me to pay you to believe me,†he joked.

“I keep telling you if you have some extra disposable cash I’ll gladly take it off your hands,†Waters joked back.

“I open my wallet and I’ll never get you out of it,†he shot back.

“Are you guys hearing this?â€, he asked the others.

“Sounds about right to me,†Watanabe said as he got out of the jet.

“Same here,†Jess said climbing out the other side.

“It’s nice to know I’m so highly thought of around here,†Waters sulked.

“That would imply we think anything of you at all,†Richardson patted his shoulder as he got out.

“Why do I fly with you again rich boy?â€

“I drew the short straw.â€

“Everybody’s a comedian.â€

“Captain on deck!â€, somebody announced. Several of the hanger crewmen stopped what they were doing and snapped to attention as a man with gray hair edging his temples of his dark hair walked in. Wearing a similar uniform to the others, Hawk was written on his tag. The four quickly stood at attention as he came nearer.

“Good job,†he told them. “You were able to take care of the creatures before they could get to a populated area. You got extremely lucky this time around and we probably won’t get that lucky again for a while. We’ll get over the cam footage in the morning.â€

“Everybody is a ray of sunshine today,†Waters said as the group started to walk away.

“Richardson,†Hawk called out, “can I talk to you for a moment?â€

“You’re in trouble,†Waters smirked.

“He’s not you Bill,†Watanabe said.

Once there were alone Hawk motioned for him to follow him. “Your father called me again. He has a something or another, if it’s not one thing it’s another with him.â€

“I’m guessing he wants me to come along,†Richardson said, “as a guard or something official.â€

“You know your old man,†he laughed. “Just say the word and I’ll tell him you’re on patrol or something.â€

Richardson didn’t agree right away like he usually did. In fact he looked like he was torn about something. “Maybe I should go along this one time.â€

Arching an eyebrow in surprise Hawk looked at him. “You sure about that Joe? You always said you were uncomfortable doing favors for your father like that.â€

“I know,†he admitted,†but he’s always asking me and you’re always making excuses. Maybe if I go along with him just once he’ll lay off for a while.†Grinning a bit he added, “Besides, I’ve been on ‘patrol’ so much he probably thinks I’m being punished for something.â€

“Well I guess you know how to handle your old man,†Hawk said. “I’ll rearrange the schedules a bit so you can accompany him. Just to warn you the others are going to give you hell for doing so.â€

“I’m ready for it. Thanks Captain.â€

“Don’t thank me until after you survive this trip with your father.â€

“I’m part of Monster Squad, we’re ready for anything. Although I may need hazard pay for this one.â€

Hawk snorted, “Talk to your old man.â€

“Hey Ken,†he looked from under the hood he was working on at the person calling him. “We’re going to the diner to grab something to eat. You coming?†He looked at the engine in front of him. It was one of those newer model, a ’26, that their boss gave top priority. Therefore it went to him. Based on what was wrong right now he was estimating five, maybe ten minutes tops.

He told them, “I’m going to be here a while. I’ll try to catch up if it’s not too late.â€

“Yeah I can see that happening,†Jeff said. One of their co-workers shoved him from behind. “What? He’s just going to drag everything down. You remember what happened last.†He quickly reminded Jeff what really happened that night. Like always Jeff played it off to make himself look good, like always. Not for the first time he wondered exactly what his sister-in-law saw in him.

“Catch you later Ken.â€

“Yeah, see you guys later.â€It didn’t even take five minutes to finish the job. It seemed the more complicated these engines were the easier it was for him to fix them. Wiping his hands he looked over to the car his brother was working on earlier. Popping the hood he saw were Jeff left off fast enough. Overhearing what problems the owner was saying he was having he immediately went to work fixing the problem, and at least one thing Jeff did to it. Not that he’d do it intentionally, Jeff could be a little careless at time. Especially when he was trying to show up his little brother. And he probably wasn’t that smart enough to figure out a way he could get away with it to get repeat business.

“You have really got to stop making your brother look good,†his boss said. Ken was a little surprised, he thought he left with the others. “You know damn well he wouldn’t do the same for you.â€

“And Dad said you had to look after family no matter what,†he said continuing what he was doing.

“There has to be limits. Even you can’t keep your brother from sinking forever, and he might drag you down with him.â€

“I’m thinking more of my niece than me or my brother,†he told him.

Nodding he heard him say, “I guess I can’t fault you there.†Checking his work over he commented, “You look done to me.â€

He started to say,†I still have to…â€

A little more forcibly he repeated, “You look done to me.†Getting the hint he grabbed a rag and cleaned his hands again. “Come with me, I got something for you.†Taking him to his office he reached into his desk and put a large brown envelope on top of it.

“That’s a little big to be a bonus,†he joked. Then he read what was written on it and things stopped being funny. “They’re not going to give me another shot.â€

“You don’t know that for sure, at least not until you try. You don’t even have to be a soldier, I know for a fact the UNDF is looking for qualified mechanics. And I have yet to see an engine you couldn’t figure out and they have some doozeys. Take the application, fill it out send it in. You will get in.â€

“Everyone goes through the same training process,†he said from personal experience. “I already failed it once.â€

“Ken you deserve better than this. Your skills are being wasted in this dump.â€

“You said I was one of the reasons why this dump was still afloat,†he shot back.

“And I really don’t want to lose you, but we’ll be fine if we did. Tony and Rico do pretty good job on these things. Johnny’s always reading up on these things as well. Ken I’ve known you and your family for a long time. I know you are destined for something better than this. Whatever it is you are not going to find it here.â€

“So I’ll find it with these guys?â€, he said really trying not to snap back.

“I don’t know,†he said honestly, “but I’m pretty sure you’ll find it faster there than if you stayed here.†He forced him to take the application. “As a favor to me, fill it out.â€

“All right,†Ken conceded. Looking pleased his boss sent him home. Grabbing his jacket off the wall he stuck the envelope under his arm. Once he was a few yards out of sight he looked at the envelope in his hands. Stomach doing flip flops at just the memory he tossed it into the first trash can he came across. “And sometimes a guy doesn’t have a destiny at all.â€

“Mr. Richardson! Mr. Richardson! Any comments on the escalating creature problem?â€

“Do you think this so-called ‘Monster Squad’ has been an effective deterrent so far.â€

“What do you say to those who say the money going to the Squad and it’s weapons could be better spent elsewhere.â€

Harold Richardson made his way through the crowd with Joseph taking point. So far nobody noticed the name on his tag. No doubt if they did a whole new barrage of questions would come at them in rapid fire procession and they would never get out of here. Joseph was able to part the sea of reporters just long enough to get his father into the waiting limo. Once the door was closed the elder Richardson was finally able to speak his mind. “What a bunch of vultures, always looking for a bone to pick clean.â€

“They’re just doing their jobs,†Joseph spoke up.

“Perhaps, but it did take some gumption to ask about the effectiveness of the Alpha team when there was a member of the unit present.†He turned to the dark haired woman sitting beside him, “What do you think Patricia?â€

“I do believe they used to say it takes a set,†she responded. “Dr. Williams said things are ready on our end.â€

“I still don’t know how this is supposed to work,†Joseph spoke up. “What am I supposed to do when it happens?â€

Going through the files on her lap Patricia said, “The way Dr. Williams explained it was once their selected individual breaches the dimensional walls it will bond with you as soon as possible.â€

“Yeah but what happens after that?â€, he asked. “How do I work with this person? What’s going to happen to me?â€

“You’re a Richardson,†Harold told him. “You’ll be able to overcome anything that thing tries to do to you. We just need to get there in time. Williams said he wasn’t sure if the alien was going to last long in our world.â€

“And the sooner the better,†she added. “Williams said it’s possible the creatures may detect the breach before it forms completely. Seeing how they have been doing it longer they could be able to stop it before it’s completed.â€

“Let me call in the others,†Joseph said directly to his father. “I have seen these things personally. If they are going to try and stop it we’re going to need the help.â€

“They will just complicate things and get in the way,†Harold said hutting the idea down. “I’ve known Gabriel Hawk a long time, he’ll find some way to involve himself and screw this up.â€

“Captain Hawk is a good man,†Joseph said defending him.

Patricia joined in, “And he wouldn’t be in charge of the Alpha Team.â€

“I’m not questioning his qualifications,†he quickly backtracked. “But he wouldn’t understand the complications of the situation. The timing of this is going to be tight. We’re not going to have time to explain the details to somebody out of the loop. Joseph you are going to become something more than human. You are going to become our best line of defense against these things.†Joseph just stared out the window in silence after that, wonder how much of him was still going to be human after this was over.

The stars twinkling overheard Ken sat at the edge of a lake just skipping stones across it’s surface. This was one of the few places he could find some peace. It also had a special place in his heart, this was his and his dad’s special spot. He would take him her when Jeff was being too much of an ass to calm Ken down. Looking out over the water he remembered one of the last things he ever told him before he died, “Ken there comes a time when a man is faced with a decision that seems more than he can handle alone. How he decides shows what kind of man he truly is.†At the time it was his Dad’s way of telling him he was dying of cancer. He found himself having to grow up at the age of fourteen. Jeff… he just stayed Jeff.

“I wish you were still here Dad,†he said to the lake. “I could really use somebody to talk to.†The only response was the wind lightly rustling through the trees. “Ever since you died it feels like everyone’s been looking to me to keep things together, to be everybody’s rock when things get tough. But who do I turn to? Who do I turn to now? My boss just told everybody I’m why they still have a job. Mom still needs help, I’m helping Jeff’s family behind his back. Because let’s face it, it’s Jeff. Did Mom go to him to keep things together? No, she went to me because I’m the responsible one,†anger tinged his voice.

Wiping his eyes he convinced himself that something got in his eyes. “You once told me God doesn’t give you a burden you can’t handle. Sometimes I think he’s got me confused with somebody else. I don’t think I can handle it any more Dad.†Tears started to flow a little more freely, “I need somebody else to be the rock. I know it’s selfish but I’m tired of being the one everybody turns to.†Picking up a flat oval stone he looked at it for a long time. “While I’m at it why don’t I just wish for world peace?†Throwing the stone into the lake in anger he remembered what his boss said a little while ago. “Anybody with a destiny wouldn’t be stuck here with everything tying him down.â€

Dusting himself off as he stood he looked back at the trail. He had to get ready for another day of the same old **** tomorrow. About half way to the trees the ground started shaking, lightly at first just enough to be noticeable. Looking at the ground Ken wondered what was going on. There hasn’t been an earthquake in the area ever. Then it started to shake more violently and he fell to the ground, “What the hell?†The water of the lake stated churning. Something that sounded like a muffled scream filled the air. It took Ken a moment to realize it was coming from the lake. In the middle of the bubbling something started to rise. A pair of monstrous eyes broke through and seemed to focus on him. As the shadows grew around him Ken’s head kept going up and up, “Oh ****.â€

Claxons going off Hawk ran through the halls until he got to control. As soon as he entered he tried to avoid several people who hurried to get out of his way. A digital map on the wall started changing, getting smaller pinpointing a location. Standing behind a black man working frantically at a keyboard he asked, “What do we got Bridge?â€

“This looks like a big one Captain,†he said. “Sensors are picking up a huge life sign reading.â€

“How many are we talking about?â€

“I can’t tell,†he answered. “They’re so pact together it’s coming off as one single reading.â€

Hawk leaned over the man’s shoulder and looked for himself. It was like he said it was, “That can’t be right.â€

“I know, I’m trying to narrow the scan field to get a more accurate reading but it’s still coming up as a single life form.†The rest of the Alpha Unit ran in as Bridge got a location on the disturbance, “Sector 7J, park area. It’s still coming off as one entity.â€

“Can we get a visual?â€, Hawk asked.

“Working on it,†Bridge said, “there’s a lot of interference in the area. It might be why it’s coming off as one signal, I’ll try and compensate.â€

“With Joe babysitting his father we’re going to be a man short,†Watanabe informed him.

“No we’re not,†Hawk faced them smiling. “I’m still a pretty good shot. Ryo and Jess, take jet two. Me and Bill have jet one.†Waters gulped a little but nodded in response. “I want every available Razor Wing in the air and every Scan Track on the ground to sector 7J. Bridge says this is going to be big. Any civilians in there needs to be evacuated first but stopping whatever those are has to share top priority if we’re going to get them out. Monster Squad scramble.â€

“Rodger,†they said and ran out of the room with Hawk in tow. Grabbing their helmets off a nearby wall rack they made their way to the hanger. The hanger support crew was working on all the black jet inside but they headed toward two in particular. Jess and Ryo boarded one as Hawk and Bill climbed into another. As the Jets powered up both pilots and gunmen ran preflight and weapon checks.

“Razor Wing one to control,†Waters said out loud, “we are ready to launch.â€

“Razor Wing two to control,†Ryo spoke next, “we are ready to launch.â€

“Acknowledged Razor Wings,†Bridge said from his station, “You are a go for launch.â€

“Launching,†both of them said as they shot out of the hanger. They exited out the side of the mountain. Moments later more jets followed them out.

“Remember,†Hawk said over the comm. Line, “we have to keep these things busy while the ground crew evacuates the civilians out of there.â€

“Do we have a visual on the targets yet?â€, Jess asked.

“I think I got something,†Bridge said. “I’m sending the image now.†A small video screen in front of all of them came to life. All of them saw what they were up against at the same time. “Holy mother of God.â€

They saw what looked like a giant lizard walking on two legs stomping through the park. Spike lined it’s back going down to it’s tail. “That thing is big,†Waters commented.

Jess just stared at it, “Are our weapons going to work on it?â€

“There’s only one way to find out,†Hawk told them. “Hit the afterburners.†Both jets shot forward from the rest of the pack.

The limo arrived in a middle of a commotion as people tried to get the hell out of there. Training made Joseph jump out before it stopped and try and figure out was going on. A monstrous roar gave him an idea where to look. He felt the ground shake before he saw it in the distance. Hand going for the communicator on his uniform jacket he couldn’t take his eyes off the sight. “Richardson to Captain Hawk.â€

“Hawk here, we’re a little busy at the moment Joe. We have a disturbance in sector 7J.â€

“I know I’m looking right at it.â€

“What are you doing in that sector?â€

“I’ll explain later if I can. What’s your ETA?â€

A moment of silence was followed by, “A little over five minutes. Is your father with you?â€

“Yeah he’s still in the limo with Mrs. Stanson and his driver.â€

“Get them out of there, their safety is your only concern right now. Is that clear Richardson?â€

“Yes sir.†Cutting the link he looked at his father. He knew he was going to have to disobey that order and that just killed him on the inside.

“They must be detecting the resonance of the breach our friends are trying to create,†the older Richardson said. “We have to get to the target area now.â€

“Dad it’s too dangerous,†he tried to reason with even though it wouldn’t do any good. “We’ll never get there in time in this chaos much less with that thing out there.â€

“The clearing isn’t that far,†he forced his way out of the car. “Mrs. Stanson will back you up in protecting me. Won’t you my dear?†In response she pulled a standard UNDF handgun out of her briefcase. “Now come on the sooner you get bonded the sooner you can take care of that thing.†Richardson hurried off with his assistant right behind him. Joseph looked at the gun in his hand than at the monster before following.

Running as fast as his legs could go Ken went down any path he could find. Whatever that thing was apparently decided he was too small for dinner. Of course he could still get stepped on, a thought that conveniently ran through his mind as he heard those gigantic feet hit the ground. So caught up in getting away he had no idea where he was going. Right now as long as he was going away from that monster he really didn’t care. “Help us!â€, he looked over and saw an old woman try to help her husband off the ground. Stopping just long enough to see where the monster was he ran toward them.

“I got him,†Ken told the old woman. Making sure nothing was broken on the old man he helped him back to his feet. “Are you all right?â€

“I’m fine thank you son.†A younger couple ran up to them.

The young man took the older man from Ken, “I got you Grandpa.â€

“Let’s go Ella,†the young woman said to the old woman. She looked at Ken, “Thank you.â€

“No problem,†he said. They heard the monster come closer and ran off in different direction. Ken looked back and realized it was going in the same direction as that family. “Hey!â€, he jumped up and waved his arms trying to get the monster’s attention, “Over here ugly! Right here!†The monster stopped and turned his attention right toward him. Mumbling, “Not a good idea,†he ran for his life again.

“Fire!â€, Hawk ordered. He and Jess both unleashed a pair of missiles that exploded on the monster’s back. It turned around to see what was attacking him. The Razor Wings split formation and went around it. “The rest of the jets should be coming up now.†More explosions erupted on it’s back. It screamed one more time and faced the oncoming jets. Waters and Watanabe turned their wings around and gave their gunmen another shot. “Scan Track in attack position fire!†On the ground a group of specialized Hummers pulled up and fired their mounted cannons. The monster roared again and opened it’s mouth. A blue flame shot out and hit the Tracks.

“Holy **** that thing breathes fire!â€, Ryo shouted.

“Storm Track retreat,†Hawk ordered. “All Razor Wing squadrons concentrate on the creature. Distract it long enough to let the ground crew get the remaining civilians out of here.â€

Seeing the flames from where they raced for the clearing. Joseph looked around as they hit it, “This is nuts, we have to get you out of here Dad.†He kept going. “Look whoever or whatever these guys are I’m sure they will understand.â€

“And they don’t know how long on of their will last in our universe,†he said. “And they don’t know if they can get him back in time. This could be our only real shot.†He stopped and looked up. Joseph and Stanson did the same. The sky started to swirl. “It’s starting, Joseph stand under it.†Joseph looked at the vortex as a red orb started to emerge. He took a step forward.

A dark energy beam shot out of the woods surprising all of them. It struck Joseph before he could cry out. Harold and Patricia had to cover their eyes the light was so bright. By the time the beam stopped all that remained of Joseph was a charred skeleton that crumbled to the ground. For the first time in his life Harold Richardson was at a loss of words. In the woods a man’s hand stopped glowing leaving him in shadows, “Gotcha.†Looking at the monster he said out loud, “Finish it Bemular,†and walked deeper into the shadows. Seemingly understanding the creature increased it’s attack.

Richardson eyes went from what was left of his only son to the red orb in the sky. The vortex disappeared behind it as it hung in the air. “Come to me,†he said stumbling forward. “I was his father I should be a suitable match.†The orb jut hung there. “Come on join with me. I need to avenge his death. Damn it, join with me!†The red orb seemed to fluctuate a bit before shooting off. “Get back here! We had a deal! You can’t last long without one of us, get back here!â€

Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse Ken was in the middle of a freaking forest fire. The heat was unbearable and the smoke was making it hard to see and breath. Putting the collar of his shirt over his nose he tried to find a path out of there. Through it all he heard some crying. Looking for the source he found a couple of kids huddled together. Running over he tried to get them move. “It’s going to be ok, we’re going to get out of here.†Taking each one by the hand he tried to guide them to safety.

“We got more civilians!†he looked up to see a couple of UNDF officer come toward them.

“Take the kids,†Ken insisted. A cracking sound made them look up. A tree started falling. He officers and he kids went in one direction while Ken dove in the other. He looked up to see hi path to freedom blocked.

The officer called out to him, “Sir if you can hear me we will get to you as soon as we can.â€

“Worry about the kids,†he shouted back. “I’ll find another way out.†Leaving before the guy could argue he found another path that he hoped lead out of there. It wasn’t long before the smoke and fire had him going around in circles. Another cracking sound made him freeze in his tracks, a flaming tree was coming down right at him. He didn’t have time to move out of the way. Instinct made him try to cover up and protect himself but he figured his was going to dir right here. A red light swallowed him a split second before the tree crashed down on top of him.

Ken opened his eyes to find himself in a tunnel of some sort. Red, blue and silver lights seemed to swirl around him. “Am I dead?â€

“No but I fear I am dying.†He looked around until he found the source of the voice. He saw something that looked like a man stand before him. It took him a second to process that he was glowing and was as tall as that creature. “My name is Daxium, I was sent here to battle creatures similar to the one currently assaulting your world. Unfortunately the one I was supposed to join with originally perished before it could start. My time in your world is not for much longer. If I am to survive and complete my mission I must bond with someone in this dimension.â€

“You… you want to bond with me?â€, Ken started backing up.

“I witnessed you saving those young ones in my search. I know you have some courage and bravery in your makeup. I could not let you perish in such a manner. I will not use that to force your decision. Your choice to bond with me must be made of your own free will.â€

Ken wasn’t sure what to think. First of all he wasn’t sure if this thing was telling the truth about fighting the other thing, or his whole story. He definitely didn’t believe that this thing was going to die unless I bonded with him. But what if he was telling the truth? Whatever the other creature was it didn’t look like the UNDF was hurting it much. Of course running away he didn’t see much of the fight. Some words his dad said about a choice a man had to make came back to him. What was this choice going to say about him? “Let’s do it.â€

“Thank you,†This Daxium said. A light seemed to off of him and engulf Ken as it swirled around him. It wasn’t long before he felt he alien presence mix within him.

“I got the monster in my sights,†Jess said.

“I’ll keep her steady,†Ryo announced. Then a huge column of light appeared in front of them. “Holy…,†Ryo had to react fast to avoid it.

“Where did that come from?â€, Bill asked. Hawk silently wondered what was happening now.

The column disappeared revealing what was inside, something resembling a human in basic shape. Huge lighted eyes highlighted his face along with the fin on top of his head. It had red and blue markings on his silver body. A diamond shaped jewel that seemed to have a light blue glow to it was embedded in his chest. Looking at the monster it took a defensive stance, “Shiah!â€

“Can this day get any weirder?â€, Bill asked as he watched the giant run toward the creature.

“Don’t say it if you don’t want an answer,†Jess admonished him.

“All units…,†Hawk was ready to give the order to target the newcomer.

“Don’t fire on that giant!â€, Richardson said over the line. “Let him take on the monster.â€

Hawk couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “Richardson are you out of your mind? Where’s Joe?â€

“Joseph dead.†He said plainly. They were too stunned to respond. “Just do as you’re told Captain.â€

Daxium charged the monster trying to stop it’s rampage before anything else happened. He punched and kicked Bemular who screamed which each hit. When it tried to attack back Daxium back flipped out of the way and brought both hands to the left side of his body. Light seemed to glow between his hands for a split second before extending his right hand toward the creature. A bolt of energy shot out and struck it. Again Bemular tried his fire breath but he rolled out of the way. Bemular came in unexpectedly and knocked Daxium down. It jumped on top of him and started bouncing up and down on his chest, he grunted with each shot of pain. The monster roared in triumph.

With a punch he was able to get the monster off balanced, enough to free himself. Getting to his feet he grabbed Bemular by the head and started pounding away it it’s back. Bemular broke free and blasted him with fire at point blank range. Daxium fell to his back with a thud that shook the ground. Bemular kept up the fire assault pinning him to the gBefore long the diamond on his chest started blinking red. Daxium managed to shot another energy bolt, right into Bemular’s mouth. The creature screamed in pain as it held it’s mouth.

Daxium kicked it away in order to scramble to his feet. Punching at Bemular’s head and neck he forced the monster back. Looking like it was going to try the fire attack again he grabbed a tree off a nearby hill out of the ground and shoved it roots first into it’s mouth. It ignited almost instantly causing it Bemular even more pain. Pivoting on a foot he spun and kicked the he kicked it back and stood there. Holding his hands to the diamond, Palms facing down, Daxium spread his arms wide. Energy seemed to draw into him right out of the air. Slowly raising his right arm while lowering his left he brought them together at the wrist. A multicolored stream of energy shot out of the edge of his right hand hitting Bemular. After a few seconds Bemular started to fall back and exploded. Daxium stood there a moment before looking at the sky and flying off, “Shiah!â€

Hawk watched him go, “He didn’t say anything about not going after it. Razor Wings one and two follow that thing.†Both jets acknowledged the order and went after the giant. They almost caught up with him before the giant started to glow than disappeared in a flash. “What the hell?!â€

Still in the shadows the man watched the entire conflict and the giant’s departure. “I knew I should have shot the orb instead of Richardson.â€

Harold Richardson stood there fuming. That should have been his son damn it. “He joined with somebody,†he told Patricia. “I want to know who and I want it now!†He walked off not even sparing a glance at the remains of his son.

A ball of light appeared in another part of the forest that wasn’t damaged by the attack. It condensed into the shape of a man before cracking and breaking away. Ken dropped to his knees not sure that really happened. The shards of light still hanging in the air told him it did. The flowed together and condensed even more into a smaller object that landed right before him. The light faded revealing a cylinder under a foot long with three slots on one end. Picking it up he heard Daxium’s voice in his head, “This is the Spark Magnifier. Use it when I am needed. You will know when.†Staring at it in his hand he got to his feet and stuck it in his pocket. Looking around to make sure nobody else saw what happened he got out of there as fast as he could.

-----
ED – Shinedown – Fly from the Inside
-----

Some folks say its like a cloud.
Not really into ultraman but I think this new story you got here is good!:thumbs:

S

scikaiju

I've had Daxium in my head for a few years now, wanted to finish my other stories first before I started it on it. This is a draw of Daxium he drew. I had a color version of just Dax but I can't seem to find it, but this will hopefully give you an idea on what he looks like

scan0003.jpg

Professionally Insane
So begins the adventures of Daxium Towards the Future...er... Ultraman Daxium. :p The characters were well developed for a first episode and Joesph's fate came as a surprise. Ken's personal issues with his own world have now been amped up too. I wonder how he's gonna take on this new way of life.

The action was pretty quick, and Ultraman didn't even run out of time this...er... time. =3 At least I don't think I read that his timer flashed at all, unless I missed it? o_O But it's good that he can fight pretty well though. :thumbs:

Please have Jeff get killed next time? XD

Who the hell's this mysterious person anyways? This better not be Narutuki Jr. :p lol

I look forward to the next episode. ^^

S

scikaiju

Episode 2

-----
-----

Despite the weather forecast fate seemed to be with them as the rain held off for long enough as they buried Joseph Richardson, or what was left of him. Hawk kept glancing over at Joe’s father during the ceremony. He still wouldn’t reveal why they were in sector 7J. Joe might have been Harold’s son but he lost a good man damn it, he wanted to know how and why Joe was left a skeleton. He, no the entire team deserved to know that much. But the rather infamous poker face of Harold Richardson was up in full force since it happened. And that just drove him crazy.

Eyes wondering a bit he was somewhat relieved to see that the reporters and paparazzi decided to be respectful and stay outside the cemetery. Although you could still see the occasional camera or head pop out from over the wall. Even they had to make a living he guessed but there had to be a more interesting story than a funeral happening today. That creature showed up last night for crying out loud, and that giant.

The preacher finished and a UNDF flag that was draped over the coffin was folded up and given to Harold. He barely reacted, in fact his assistant was the one who ended up taking possession of the flag. The preacher turned toward him and his men. The rest of Alpha Team and a few others held up their rifles and waited for his order. He gave it without hesitation, “Fire!†Almost as one they raised their rifles to the sky and fired, and again and again. Lowering their rifles Joseph’s coffin was lowered into the ground. The team walked up and said their final goodbyes and left as he stood by his grave.

“Harold,†a younger man with blond hair walked up to him. Peter Brooks, the youngest on the UNDF board. Looking sympathetic he told him, “My Father sends his condolences and wishes he could have been here for you.†The surviving Richardson’s head barely nodded in response. “You have my condolences as well, Joseph was a good man. A credit to you and your family and to the UNDF.â€

“Thank you Peter,†he finally said. “And thank you father for me as well. Come Patricia, we still have an organization to run. Those creatures aren’t going to stop because of something like this.â€

Overhearing the exchange Hawk watched the two of them get into his limo. As it pulled away he shook his head in disgust, “I don’t think he shed a tear during that whole thing.â€

“According to my father that’s how he is,†Peter said coming closer. “He never shows anything as it would be a sign of weakness, no matter what the situation is. I have to admire him and pity him at the same time.†Looking back at the grave he said, “Although it probably cost a pretty penny to arrange this funeral so fast. Joseph did die just last night. That has to count for something.â€

“He probably wanted to get it out of the way so it wouldn’t interfere with his schedule as much as it already has,†Hawk said darkly.

“Now that’s a little unfair Captain,†Peter told him. “We all grieve in our own way. I’m sure he’s probably hurting on the inside.â€

“I’ll start caring the moment he tells me why they were up there and what the hell happened to Joe.â€

Nodding a bit Peter looked around the cemetery. “Most of the board is putting it down to that rather famous instinct of his. He seemed to know about these creatures before they showed up. Maybe he had some insight about our new giant friend.†Getting a little closer he looked right at Hawk, “He did give the order not to fire on the giant, did he not?â€

“From the message on my desk this morning it’s an order that’s still in effect.â€

“I’ve heard, in fact his exact order is not to engage the giant for the time being. Which tells me might change his mind somewhere down the line.†Stepping a little closer and spoke in a bit of a conspiracal tone, “And it doesn’t mean we can’t be prepared on the off chance he does. Study the giant, find out what he can do, discover his weaknesses. Figure out the best way to defeat him.â€

A bit taken aback at what he was hearing Hawk asked, “Is that and order Mr. Brooks?â€

“Just a suggestion Captain,†he answered stepping away a little. “Some of the board members don’t agree with this order, some have told him the moment they heard but you know how he is once his mind is set. But they did agree to assign a codename to the giant for the time being.â€

“This is the first I’m hearing of it.â€

“It was just decided on before we had to leave for the funeral.†Grinning a bit he revealed what it was, “Ultraman.â€

“Of all the preposterous names,†Richardson said as they drove back to the mansion. “Ultraman. If anybody had come up with anything else I would have jumped on it. And we still no closer to finding out who he bonded with.â€

“We’re still interviewing the ground teams in the suspected area,†his assistant told him, “and checking the names of the survivors in the area. It will take time no matter how much man power we put on it.â€

“Time that could have been cut short if we were allowed to put the surveillance cameras in the park.†Going over the folders in his briefcase he muttered under his breath, “Damn environmentalist.â€

“And it was considered a huge invasion of privacy,†Patricia reminded him. “It was a struggle to get them in the major cities and the surrounding area. Even your influence only goes so far.â€

“They want protection but won’t let us do everything possible to do just. I’d bet what’s left of my fortune our giant friend and whoever he’s bonded with doesn’t have to worry about any backlash to their actions.†A little quieter he said, “They’re probably still celebrating their victory as we speak.â€

At that moment Ken was laying in bed of his modest apartment. Most of the furniture was from his old room from back at his parent’s house. Today was his day off from the garage. Although Jeff left several messages trying to get him to take his shift for one down the road. Last few times he’d done that he ended up working both shifts anyway. Usually he would have taken it but he really needed time to think right now, without the usual background noise of the garage. On the dresser on the far side of the room was the Spark Magnifier that Daxium had given him, his only proof last night actually happened and wasn’t some weird dream. If the continuous news coverage wasn’t proof enough.

He had been wanting to try something all day but was too afraid to try. Setting his resolve he took a deep breath and looked, not out but in. Faster than he thought he would he found what he was looking for, something that seemed alien to his mind. Before he knew it he was in some sort of crystalline structure, the red, blue and silver light he saw from before swirling on the outside. With him in the structure was Daxium, his size this time around, standing there. Not sure what else to say Ken went, “So where are we?â€

“I created this space during the bonding,†Daxium explained. “From what I was feeling during the process the union was becoming to precise, we were becoming one being. Admittedly that frightened me and I was worried what would become of you. We are bonded but this way we retain who we are.â€

“So when you’re not… needed you’re in here and when you are I am?†Daxium nodded his head in the affirmative. Oh the things he would agree to. “It seems to me your getting the raw end of the deal. You time outside seems limited. I felt you lose energy. Especially when that thing,†he pointed at the diamond on his chest, “started flashing.â€

“Yes, my energies dissipated faster in your world than we anticipated.â€

“Would you have lasted longer if I said yes sooner?â€

“Doubtful,†he answered, “they were dissipating when the being from your world that was originally supposed to contain me perished.â€

“So what is going on?â€, Ken asked him. “You said you were sent here to fight those creatures. Where do they come from? Where did you come from?â€

“I will do my best to explain.†Holding out his hand as an image of the galaxy appeared above it. “This is what you know as the universe. This pattern is repeated several hundred times in the muiltiverse. Each one inhabiting it own dimensional plain. My people discovered this long ago and we did our best to study them. We discovered several beings such as ourselves, beings of light. A few living in the same universe with beings such as yourself. Unfortunately we didn’t discover a secret of our own universe until after it was too late.â€

Ken watched as two more universes appeared in his hand. “They’re overlapping.â€

“Indeed, for some unknown reason our scientists can’t figure out all three universes inhabit the same dimensional plain, just out of phase with each other.â€

Starting to understand Ken said, “You and those creatures are from these other two universes.â€

“We did not discover the nature of our dimensional plain until the beings from the dark universe tried to invade ours.†The images disappeared as Daxium continued, “The beings of darkness saw us as a new land to invade and conquer. Unfortunately neither side knew how quickly the beings from one world would disintegrate as soon as they stepped into the other. We were at a standstill, they tried to continue the war while we tried to contain them, diplomacy having failed long before then.â€

“And since the creatures appeared first they discovered my universe inhabited the same plain.â€

“That would be correct KenScott. They planned on using your universe as a staging ground for their attack, in not use your people as soldiers to invade my universe out right. For some reason they do not have the same problem I have in your universe. Another part of my mission is to find out why this is so. Until we do the fate of both our universes is placed fully on our shoulders.â€

“Why not everything else seems to be on it,†he muttered to himself. “But at least somebody is actually helping shoulder the burden for a change. And it’s Ken Scott Dax, two words or just Ken. So are they all like you where you come from?â€

“No, after I was selected for this mission I was altered to help in our upcoming battles…†Daxium trailed off, his head tilted slightly in confusion, “Dax? My name is Daxium.â€

“I know I know,†Ken covered his face in his hands, “how do I explain this? My full name is Kenneth but everybody calls me Ken. It’s a shorten version of my name.â€

“You… shortened my name to Dax?â€

“Yeah force of habit, I do it with all my friends. If you’re not fine with it I can keep calling you Daxium.â€

“No I am… fine with it. If we are to be partnered like this I wish for you to be as comfortable as possible… Ken.â€

Wanting to leave he felt he should say something first, “Dax I hope you realize the amount of faith I put in you and that story you told me when I first met you.â€

“I do,†he said. “I promise I will not do anything to break the trust you put in me Ken.â€

Blinking a few times Ken was back in his room. Grabbing his jacket he put it on and headed for the dresser and looked at the Spark Magnifier. “I should have asked him how I’d know when to use this thing,†he said out loud. Putting it back in his jacket he checked himself over to make sure it wasn’t noticeable. It would be a tad hard to explain what it was. Taking a moment to take a black band and put his hair back in a ponytail he tried hard not to look at the pictures still taped to the mirror’s surface. Especially one of him back in high school standing behind a girl with red hair with his arms wrapped round her. It was long over but could never find the will to take it down or get rid of it.

Things were quiet for a couple of days, too quiet for his tastes. It was time to shake things up a bit. Standing in the darkness of a cave off the UNDF radar Joseph’s killer watched as a portal started to open before him. Purple energy swirled as a creature walked foreword. Holding up a hand energy flowed through the creature stabilizing it enough to stay in this world. “Another Gazato,†he said as it took form. Slightly shorter than he was with an almost triangular body and fin like arms it’s head seemed squarely set on it’s shoulder. It came at him looking hungry. “I don’t think so,†a quick blast at it’s feet backed it up.

“Why did they end another one of you?â€, he said in disgust. “Even the Razor Wing units can shoot you down.†An idea coming to him he circled the Gazato, examining it carefully. “But maybe we can alter you a bit. Add a bit of height, maybe a little more power.†Facing the portal that was still there he said, “Do you think that is possible?â€

After a moment a voice answered, “It is.â€

“Good. I’ll leave it to you. The power you gave me only goes so far.â€

“But you are pushing the limits of what you can do every chance you have Avatar.â€

“Call it my innate human curiosity.†Starting to leave he added. “Send a few more regular Gazatos, just to keep the so-called Monster Squad occupied until this one is ready.†The Gazato was struck by energy from the portal. The creature screamed in pain and feel to the ground as he calmly walked away and into the light. “Let’s see what his giant can really do.â€

“Razor wing one you have a bogey on your six!†Ryo shouted into his communicator.

“We see it,†Bill said as he began invasive maneuvers. The creature was able to keep up with him as he used every trick he could think of. Still it bought them just enough time for Ryo to get them in position so Jessica could shoot it down. “Thank you Jess.â€

“I was more worried about the Captain,†she said with a grin.

“I can take care of myself Wade,†Hawk said over the line. “But thanks for the concern. All unit finish what’s left of these creatures.†All the Razor Wing units in the air followed the order to the letter. Hawk tried not to smile too much as he shot down one of his own. The creatures were still able to damage a Wing here and there in the melee, some so bad the pilot and gunner had to eject. If some could at all that is. The Wings flying in a holding pattern Hawk contacted the base, “Bridge is the area clear?â€

“I’m not reading any foreign life signs in the area,†he answered. “It looks like you got them all.â€

“Right. Contact the ground crew to assist the pilots who had to bail out. And have them reclaim the fallen creatures bodies. There hasn’t been any reports of contamination yet but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.â€

“I’m relaying those orders now Captain Hawk. Castle out.â€

“Hawk to all Razor Wing units, return to base.†All surviving jets acknowledged the order.

Hours later Hawked walked the halls of Castle until he found who he was looking for. The Alpha team was hanging out in one of the break rooms just talking. It was hard not to notice the empty chair at their table. It didn’t seem right without Joe there but life goes on as they say. Might as well make his presences known, “Jess can I talk to you for a moment?â€

“Sure Captain,†she said getting up. “I’ll see you guys later.â€

“Jess don’t forget,†Ryo told her, “card game in this room at eight o’clock sharp.â€

“Make sure to bring your money,†Bill told her.

“Especially since I’m planning on walking out with yours,†she shot back. “What can I do for you Captain.â€

“I’m not really sure,†he answered. Motioning for her to walk with him he headed down the hallway. “I was going over through some paperwork on my desk and I found the strangest request that Joe apparently put in a couple of weeks ago. It was about finding somebody for you.†Jess looked confused until Hawk said the name, “a Ken Scott.â€

“Oh he did not,†Jess moaned. Feeling a little embarrassed she explained, “He’s a guy I used to date back in high school. Joe caught me looking at a picture of him a few weeks back. He asked and I told him about him.†Chuckling a bit she added, “According to him I still have a thing for him.â€

“Do you?â€, Hawk asked.

“Oh no,†she said immediately, “but Joe didn’t listen. Said he’d help me get in contact with him again if I wanted. I told him if he did he’d be my new boot. I guess I didn’t stress the point enough.â€

“You know Joe,†Hawk said, “once he set his mind on something you’d be hard pressed to get him to change it. He was a lot like his father in that aspect.â€

“I told him Ken probably forgotten about me by now,†she continued. “Too many things going on in his life, especially back then.â€

“He was a bit all over the place I take it.â€

“No,†she told him, “The exact opposite. Ever since his dad died he took it upon himself to be the man of the house and shoulder everything. He pretty much had to, his mother wasn’t handling things well at the time and his older brother… From my point of view about him if it didn’t affect him directly he didn’t seem to care. And he played Ken like a fiddle too. Their parents owned a store that their mom was having a hard time keeping afloat. Ken pretty much decided it was his responsibility to make sure it stayed open, pushing everything to the background, school, a social life… me. I finally had enough when I overheard his brother practically guilt him into breaking a date so he could help out with the store, only because he had a date he didn’t want to break. I don’t know maybe I was being a little immature back then too,†she wondered out loud.

“Maybe you should talk to him,†Hawk suggested. “At least say hi.â€

“That was years ago Captain,†she told him. “He’s probably has his own life now. And I’m too busy around here, any meeting would be cut short. Especially lately seeing how our targets are getting larger in case you haven’t noticed.â€

“Trust me I’ve noticed. From the look of things we’re going to earn that Monster Squad nickname in more ways than one.â€

“Captain I know it’s a little soon but is there any word on a replacement for Joe?â€

“We’re still going through the paperwork and it’s still going to be awhile.†Faking looking offended Hawk went, “You tired with flying with your Captain already Wade?â€

“Of course not I’m just worried about Bill. Me and Ryo both think he’s going to strain something trying to behave with you as his gunman.â€

“You noticed that too,†he chuckled. “I’ll try to push the paperwork a little faster but you know the bureaucracy around here.â€

Jess nodded and went on her way. Finding herself in her quarters she headed for her bunk. Going into her footlocker she pulled out an old scrape book of hers and found the page she was looking for easily enough, a photo of her and Ken around her seventeenth birthday. Yes it was over, but that didn’t mean she didn’t wondered what he was doing form time to time.

“Ken can you come into my office?†He looked up from what he was doing and said he’d be right there. When he got there he noticed another rather large envelope on his boss’s desk. His mood deflated soon after. “Rose forgot something the other night and came back. She just happened to see you toss the other one I gave you into the trash.â€

“Slipped from my hand,†was all he could say.

“You really disappoint me Ken, you really do,†his boss said sitting down. “I thought we both agreed you were going to fill it out and send it in.â€

“No offense but you agreed.â€

“Don’t get smart with me Ken.â€

“Trust me I appreciate what you’re trying o do. And as much as it hurts to admit Jeff is right, I’m just a grease jockey. I’m not going to be anything more than that.â€

“We both know that’s bullshit Ken.â€

“Mom still needs help, I can’t leave.â€

“She’ in pretty good shape now. Besides if she does need any extra help maybe Jeff will finally grow up and step up. Do you want to come with another excuse I can shoot down?†Actually Ken had several excuses floating around in his head at the moment. And his boss probably had a counter argument for each one just like he said. Actually he probably had one he didn’t have an answer for, but it would be hard to explain Daxium and his new need to get away at a moment’s notice. If he knew when that is. “Look Ken I know you can do this. And I know you know you can do this. And right now I’m not asking you I’m telling you to fill this out. I know Jeff will make a fuss if he sees this so I’ll keep it in my office until closing time. Don’t worry I’ll remind you in case you ‘accidently’ forget. Now get back to work.â€

The moment he left the office, like he guessed Jeff was right there. “Wow little bro, that’s about as disappointed I’ve ever seen the boss get at his golden boy. What did you do?â€

“Nothing,†he told him.

“Now that didn’t look like nothing little brother. You might as well tell me because I’m going to find out. And once I do I’m going to rub it in your face so bad.â€

“Fine you want to know what it is?â€, he snapped. “He’s gave the opportunity to get the hell away from you! And it’s looking better every second.â€

Not missing a beat Jeff told him, “And abandon your family? How selfish can you get?†He just happened to look down and see Ken’s hand form a fist. Smirking he said, “What are you going to do little man? Break your mother’s heart by assaulting your own brother? And you know I’ll press charges too.†For a brief second he thought it would be worth it. But that would be something Jeff would hold over his head so he just walked away. “Just like I thought, nothing!â€

Ken headed to the back to one of the restrooms and locked the door behind him. All these years and he still let Jeff push his buttons like that. Staring at his reflection he thought about the Spark Magnifier in his jacket’s pocket. “Some piece of work you bonded yourself too, huh Dax?†He didn’t get an answer, truthfully he wasn’t expecting one.

Deep in the inside of Castle the one the dark beings called the Avatar studied the file in his hand. In the back of his mind he felt the Gazato grow stronger. Smiling to himself he knew it was about time. The giant would have to come out of where ever, or whomever, he was hiding. So deep in thought he almost missed Richardson and his assistant coming toward him. Saying a quick hello as he passed Richardson practically ignored him. He still smiled, just picturing the look on his face when he discovered his son’s murderer was right under his nose. Right before he blew it off.

In the Castle control room Bridge and the scientific staff were busy trying to upgrade the sensors. Orders from both Captain Hawk and the board, something as big as that monster should have been easier to locate. So the order of the day was to increase the range of the sensor and fine tune arrays. Wiring hanging around his neck a man with salt and pepper hair popped up from behind the console, “How is that working Bridge?â€

Running a few tests he looked somewhat disappointed, “Only a twenty percent increase. Hawk was looking for at least thirty Dr. Williams.â€

Untangling himself from the mess he was in he said, “Not without a complete… gah…,†he tangled himself a little more before going in the right direction, “complete system overhaul. Then the pencil pushers on the board will be breathing down my neck. I’m still seeing their disapproving faces when I tried to get funding for the Alpha One.â€

“You’re still trying to get that off the drawing board?â€, Bridge asked as he helped free the good doctor completely.

“You’d think after one giant monster and they would see the need. Richardson and Brooks looked intrigued but the rest shot me down.â€

“And it was just one giant monster, who knows when another one will pop up.†Almost on cue an alert went off. Bridge ran around the consoles and put the new modifications to work. “I’m getting a reading similar to those flying creatures we’ve been getting.†Pulling up the image on the big screen he was confused to see a growing dark cloud a few miles outside the city. “I think we got some wires crossed somewhere.â€

“Impossible,†Williams started back under the console before Bridge stopped him.

“The cloud is going against the wind currents and that reading’s getting stronger,†he announced. “I’m going to try to penetrate the cloud.†Using advanced sonar and radar he was able to look inside the cloud, and what was growing inside. “Monster Squad prepare to launch!†Claxons went off as a few moments later Richardson, his assistant and Brooks came in to see what the commotion was. All were quiet as their questions were answered on the screen.

Ken was on a break on joking with a couple of the others when he started feeling funny. Not in a sick way either. He wasn’t sure how to describe it, only that it was coming from inside him somewhere. “Hey Ken are you all right? Ken?â€, Rose shook him a little by the shoulder getting concerned.

“I’m not sure,†he answered truthfully. “I’m going to head to the restroom.†Hurrying in he locked the door and concentrated, “Dax, what’s going on?â€

He heard a reply in his head, “I am sensing something similar to the creature from before. I can’t pinpoint it from here.â€

“I was afraid you were going to say that.†Flushing the toilet for effect he headed back out, “I’m heading home, I’m not feeling right.â€

“Oh you faker!â€, Jeff shouted out. Ken ignored him as he headed to his car. True to his word his boss hurried out and gave him the envelope. Taking and saying he’d be in tomorrow if he was feeling better. Pulling away he saw an almost black cloud in the distance. Seeing how it was the only cloud in the sky like that it looked like a good place to start.

Razor Wing one and two were able to intercept the cloud a half mile from the city in front of the others. Behind Bill Hawk tried to get a sensor reading through the cloud cover. Getting a fuzzy reading he made a mental note to have the sensor packages on the Razor Wings upgraded as soon as possible. “Hawk to all Razor Wings, I want this done by the book. Keep the creature occupied until the ground crews evacuate that area of the city.†Getting an acknowledgement he prepped the missiles on the underside of the wings. “Bill we’re going to have to go in and draw it out.â€

“You got it Captain,†he said while trying to figure out how much fancy flying he was going to have to do to get out of this one in one piece.

“I’m seeing something,†Ryo announced as they flew in front of the cloud. “Something glowing and getting brighter.â€

“It looks like a set of eyes,†Jess commented. As they flew past the giant Gazato emerged from the cloud that quickly disappeared. “Castle sensors were right, it’s a larger version on the creatures we’ve been fighting.â€

“Then treat it like the others,†Hawk ordered. “All Razor Wings fire!†A barrage of missiles were unleashed on the creature. It cried out from the impact. In retaliation it fired a series of energy orbs from it’s mouth. One of the Wings was hit and both occupants had to eject. No one expected how fast the Gazato reacted into flying over and coming the two in the air. Sickened by what he just saw Hawk gave the only order he could at that moment, “Bury the son of a *****!†Another barrage exploded on the Gazato forcing it to the ground. “Keep it up, any Scan Tracks in position to engage do so now.â€

As commanded those that could fired their cannons as soon as it was in range. It unleashed another volley of those orbs right at them. Several missed but still caused damage to the surrounding area. Some hit with deadly accuracy. Kan ran the streets having to dump his car a few blocks back when he ran hit the roadblock in the city and having to avoid the UNDF units trying to get people out of there. From where he was he could see them try and fight the creature like they did the other one. Down below it’s feet he saw some people running away, the Gazato saw it too. Ken could only watch in horror as it bent down and ate them despite the increased attacks from the jets at that precise moment.

Reaching into his jacket he pulled out the Spark Magnifier and stared at it. If this wasn’t “when†then he’d never know. Not sure what else to do he held it above his head and squeezed the handle. From the slots on top three crystal prongs flipped out. The tips came into contact and created a small spark that quickly grew in size and intensity until it engulfed him completely. In moments Daxium was free and quickly grew in size, “Shiah!â€

“The giant’s back,†Brooks commented, “Or should that be Ultraman?†Richardson looked at Patricia who nodded and headed for a row of monitors with Dr. Williams right behind her.

“All unit hold up,†Hawk ordered. “Richardson’s order is still in effect. Keep the conflict from entering the city if needed.â€

“That’s a pretty tall order Captain,†Bill said.

“I know,†was his only response as he watched the giants collide.

Daxium grabbed Gazato by that flipper of arm and tried to pull it back way from the city. The creature fought back sensing more food straight ahead. Blocking a kick Daxium quickly stepped back and fired an energy bolt. Despite their closeness Gazato was able to avoid the attack which took Daxium by surprise. It took opportunity to attack smacking him in the head. Crying out it fired more of those orbs. Back flipping out of the way of each one the giant of light landed on his feet and ran in. Jumping over another orb blast he nailed Gazato with a flying kick that knocked the creature to it’s back. Daxium stood over but was caught off guard by an orb at point blank range. The next thing he knew the Gazato was on top of him mouth open wide and coming closer. Barely getting his left arm up in time the creature bit down on his forearm hard. Crying out in pain he struggled to free himself. Light started pouring out like blood as the teeth went deeper.

Ryo and Jess flew overhead and watched the whole thing. Jess’s thumb hovered over the trigger of the missiles. Finally she said, “Captain we have to do something.â€

“We can’t engage the giant,†he reminded her. Seeing the giant struggle another loophole in that rule came to him, “But it doesn’t say we can’t aid him. Wings one and two target the creature.â€

“Rodger,†Jess said while hitting the trigger at the same time. A pair of missiles hit Gazato squarely in the back. Letting go he turned his attention to his new attackers. Daxium rolled to a knee clutching at his forearm. With some effort he made the bleeding stop and turned toward Gazato. Standing up he crossed his arm in front of hiss chest and quickly brought them down. While his head and face stayed the same a line seemed to form down the center of his body. It expanded out and in a moment the silver on his body became blue while the blue markings became silver.

“What did the giant just do?â€, Ryo asked out loud.

“I have no idea,†Jess answered.

Daxium ran at Gazato and started punching and kicking it. Bill took a hand off the stick just long enough to rub his eyes, “Did he just get faster?†Gazato cried out in surprise at the flurry and tried to fight back. Daxium was able to dodge it’s fins and legs. Jumping up he flipped backwards and kicked it under his chin. The creature stumbled back and tried to keep from falling. Taking that moment he extended his right hand and a whip like energy stream emerged from his fingers. Twirling it around he struck Gazatao several times, spark like explosions erupting with each strike. Swinging the whip one more time above his head he tried to wrap it around the creature but Gazato took to the air before that could happen. Daxium looked up to see the creature come at him and crash into him.

Flying past as Daxium crashed to the ground it landed and fired more orbs as he got to a knee. Daxium protected himself as the explosions went off around him. Looking down as his diamond started blinking red he knew he had t end this fast. Setting himself up and looking like he was going to run his body seemed to draw in energy again, and made the barest of flinches. In a second there was a flash across Gazato’s body and Daxium was now standing behind him, light whip retracting back into his hand and the jewel blinking faster that it was a moment ago. Gazato, with a glowing line across his body, stood there for a second before the upper part of his body seem to slide off than he exploded. Daxium the jewel on his chest before looking up and flying off, “Shiah!â€

“Captain do you want us to follow?â€, Ryo asked.

“And what are the chances he’s going to pull that disappearing act again? All units return to base.†As Bill pointed the jet toward home Hawk remembered the little suggestion Brooks gave him. After what he just saw the giant do he was starting to see a little more wisdom in it.

“Looks like he won again,†Peter said to Richardson as they exited the control room. “With an unexpected assist from our own Monster Squad I might add.â€

“It was a good call,†Richardson told him. “So far the giant has been fighting the same battle we have. Hawk decided to aide him like he would any ally.â€

“And if this Ultraman decides he’d rather fight against us?â€

Richardson stopped and looked at the younger man. His father would challenge him just like that in the past. In fact he was seeing a lot of Peter’s father in the look he was giving him right now. “Then I’ll be the first to order the troops to open fire.â€

“I’m just making sure your head is still on straight Harold,†he told him. “After you son’s death and all, some of us are a little worried.â€

“That is one thing your father never had to doubt. I suggest you learn to do the same.â€

“I think I already am,†Peter told him. He kept going on his way as Richardson entered an elevator and headed for his office.

Emerging from an alley Ken held on to his left forearm. Rolling back the sleeve he winced a little at the red teeth like marks on it. Trying to rub the pain away he rolled it back down saying, “Looks like that bond was a little more complete than you thought.†Making sure nobody saw him he headed back to his car totally unaware a UNDF surveillance camera watched him leave the alley.

-----
-----

Professionally Insane
This mysterious character is part of the UNDF it seems, this could be a pain in the ass for them down the road. Hopefully if Ken meets him, Daxium will be able to sense it, though it's bound to get more interesting as things go on. :thumbs:

Jess and Ken's past is sure to resurface once they meet again too, and could possibly make things even more difficult when she realizes he's Ultraman Daxium as the security cams have no doubt, given UNDF the clue they need. Which makes me think Richardson will be on his case like a fat kid in a candy store.

Hyper Mode was pretty cool too, and the finisher being at blinding speed was a real nice touch. :thumbs:

Look'n forward to the next episode. :buttrock:

S

scikaiju

Episode 3

-----
-----

In a different cave entirely he waited. Knowing the set up the UNDF had he felt it was prudent to diversify, so to speak. If there was more than one location his movements couldn’t be easily tracked if anybody suspected him. And on the off chance on of the locations was discovered he still had others he could use, as long as the giant didn’t sense them. He had to have sensed something when Gazato attacked. The only question was when did he sense it?

The air twisting in front of him a vortex formed as something came through. Stabilizing it he watched it plop on the ground with a thud. Walking over he studied what came through to this world, “A glowing blue rock?†He tapped it with his foot, “What am I supposed to do with this? Hurl it at the Razor Wings and Scan Tracks?â€

“Do not judge Arnagarge at this stage Avatar,†the voice said.

“Well it is rather unimpressive.â€

“Think of it as the larval stage if you must. Once near an energy source it will absorb it and grow.â€

“An energy source you say?†Picking it up he grinned to himself, “I believe I know the perfect place.â€

Two days after Daxium had fought that monster his left arm still hurt. It was more of a dull ache at this point but it was still noticeable. If he looked close enough Ken could swear he could still see teeth marks. And he was doing everything to hide the fact he was in pain these past couple of days at the garage. Fortunately they were super busy during that time so nobody paid him that much attention. Of course Jeff found the time to get in the usual snide remarks. “Hurry up little bro,†he had said, “or the boss is going to take away your golden opportunity.†Ken ignored him up until the point he slapped him on the left forearm, “Wake up!†Fighting hard to keep the new wave of pain off his face he briefly wondered if there was a way he could talk Dax into stepping on him.

Being able to avoid any other sudden impacts to his arm for the rest of the day he headed straight home. A couple of aspirins made the pain go away a little more once they kicked in. Still he took it easy trying not to strain it too much. Daxium wasn’t much help either, saying that he didn’t know enough about human biology to try anything. Not that he could, locked away where he was, where ever that was inside of him. Something, Ken thought, he was better off not knowing in detail. A dinner of cold pizza beside him he was a little surprised to hear somebody knock at his door. Knowing Jeff would be banging loudly he opened it up just enough to see who it was, “Rose?â€

“Hi,†she said as he let her in, a couple of brown bags in hand. “I brought you a couple of things from the diner.â€

“You didn’t have to do that.â€

“You did it for me when I was sick.â€

“But I’m not sick,†he countered.

“You’ve been protecting your left arm the past couple of days.†She told him. “So what happened?â€

“I…,†what was she actually going to believe? “You remember when I left work early? I headed for a drug store to see if I could find anything to help make me feel better. Unfortunately I got caught in the mess when that thing attacked.â€

“Why didn’t you say anything? We would have helped with your load at the garage.â€

“You know me,†he said as he took the bag and examined the contents, “Philly cheese nice, I don’t go looking for sympathy.â€

“And you have really got to stop trying to shoulder everything,†Rose told him. Not the first time somebody has told him that, including a particular redhead he used to date. Ken just grunted in response. Rose looked down at the coffee table at the papers on top of it. “You’re actually filling out the application again? That’s great.â€

“Does everybody want to get rid of me?â€, he said as he sat down.

She sat down next to him saying, “Nobody wants to get lose you Ken, but everybody knows you can do it.†After he snorted in response Rose asked him, “So why are you filling it out if you don’t think you can?â€

“I’m hoping once I get the rejection letter the boss will get off my back about it,†he said honestly.

“Come on Ken you can’t think like that. And you know the old man only wants what’s best for you.†Leaning forward a bit she looked at him, “Come to think of it I don’t think I ever heard you talk about your academy days. What was it like?â€

“That’s because there’s nothing to talk about,†he informed her. “I did a lot of studying on rules and regulations. Did a lot of physical training. Fired a few weapons when they wanted us too. Everything was going pretty good.†He sighed loudly, “Then the flight simulator happened. After a few times they finally looked me over and said I had an extreme case of motion sickness, which is weird because I’m fine in a car or boat. But for some reason when I’m in the air…,†he trailed off. “They performed a lot of test and prescribed couple of medication but nothing worked. And because of that the medical officer declared that since I had a condition that would l hamper my duty I was, to use the official term, medically disqualified.â€

“Well that sucks,†Rose told him.

“Yeah but what are you going to do?â€

“Well like Barry told you the other day medication’s come a long way since then.†She looked at her watch, “Now if you will excuse me my Uncle loves the diner’s cheesecake and is waiting for me to drop by and give it to him. I’ll see you tomorrow.â€

Before she got to the door Ken called out, “Rose.†She looked back to see him hold up her purse. With a sheepish grin she took and left leaving him looking at the application in front of him. “She can’t see her purse right in front of here but she can see me throw this in the trash from how many yards away?â€

Bridge entered the Alpha Team briefing room, making sure to lock the door behind him. Inside Hawk and the others were there waiting for him. Heading for the table they were standing around he took a disc out of his pocket and put it in the computer slot in front of him. “Sorry Captain, I know you wanted this sooner but I had to make sure nobody noticed what I was doing.â€

“It’s fine Bridge,†Hawk told him, “as long as you got it.â€

“I thought we weren’t supposed to engage the giant?†Ryo asked the question the three of them were thinking.

“We’re not,†Hawk answered. “However Mr. Brooks suggested it might be prudent to study the giant. After his display last time I thought it wise to follow up on that suggestion. And from here on out I suggest we call the giant by the codename applied to him, Ultraman.â€

Jess’s forehead creased in confusion, “Why Ultraman?â€

“Because super just not enough,†Bill quipped. They just looked at him not really reacting. “Oh that was funny and you know it.â€

“Bridge,†Hawk said before Ryo or Jess could respond. On cue he accessed the disc and the table top flashed before a holographic image appeared above it, the park were the first monster and the giant appeared. “All right Boys and girl, the object of our attention today is roughly forty-five meters tall. Did we get a weight yet Bridge?â€

Having studied the file beforehand he didn’t have to look it up, “Based on the depth and size of the foot impression we’re estimating thirty-five thousand tons.†Bridge whistled out loud but they were all impressed. “We’re still trying to figure out how he does those energy attacks,†to highlight his point the image played the part were Ultraman fired an energy bolt at the creature.

“It seems to me,†Ryo spoke up, “that he generates them internally.â€

“Yeah but it looked like to me he was drawing some in when he finished off the creature,†Bill countered.

“Maybe that attack required more energy than what he had,†Jess offered.

“That was my line of thinking as well,†Bridge told her. “Which might explain the jewel on his chest.†The image flashed forward to where the giant was on his back being assaulted by fire. “It seems to me he was getting a little desperate when it started flashing.â€

“So it’s like a warning light?â€, Hawk asked.

“In a sense,†Bridge said. “I think it’s an energy gauge. I’m thinking as powerful as this guy is he has a limited source of energy to draw from. And he has to replenish it after every battle.â€

“Which explains the disappearing act,†Hawk said. “Go to the next one Bridge.†The image changed into the footage from a couple of days ago. “As we all know our giant friend here pulled an interesting trick out of his hat.†They all watched again as this Ultraman changed colors, “Any theories?†He was greeted by silence, “I figured as much.â€

“The board has had the science teams working around the clock since we saw it happen and they can’t figure it out,†Bridge said. “I think Bill made a comment about him being faster. I think he was right. There’s a working theory that he changed himself somehow.â€

“That last monster was too fast for him,†Ryo said remembering the battle between the two. “So he adapted to the situation by becoming faster.â€

“And he did it by turning blue, like the markings on his body,†Jess commented. Thinking it out she said, “He has red markings, he could have a third form.â€

“It’s a strong possibility, but I think so too,†Bridge said. “All I know is there was a puddle of drool under a lot of scientists feet when they saw the footage. I’ve overheard a couple of them argue the physics of that whip like weapon he used. And they nearly creamed themselves when they saw this.†The imaged changed to the end of the fight where Ultraman was standing in front of the creature then behind it in a blink of an eye.

“Did they figure out this teleport thing?â€, Ryo asked.

“Oh he didn’t teleport,†Bridged grinned like a kid in a candy store as he punched in a command and the image restarted. “I had to slow the footage down to frame by frame just to get this.†They watched as Ultraman seemed to expand in blur with a red trail of his crystal before standing the monster, and he seemed to make a slashing movement as he passed it. Bridge paused the image there, the blur effect in still effect

Hawk leaned in trying, to process what he was seeing, “He ran?â€

“Because of that little trick I dubbed this form Hyper Mode,†Bridge informed them.

“I don’t get it,†Bill spoke up. “If Ultraman can do that why even bother with the fight to begin with?â€

“I don’t think he can.†Bridge manipulated the image so there were two Ultraman present. “Look at the Jewel on his chest before he ran, it’s flashing about once a second. Now look at the after, I’d say it’s flashing two, maybe three times a second.â€

“It takes a lot of his energy to pull that move off,†Ryo said, “even if he pulls more in. Not to mention this form may not be the best option in every battle.â€

“He might have to wear the monster down a bit too,†Hawk added. “Which might be why he doesn’t pull out the big guns right away. I think that’s all we can do with the information we have for right now, so you’re all dismissed for now.â€

“I hate to be the downer but Richardson is going to find out about this,†Jess said. “What do we do then?â€

“Tell him the truth,†Hawk told her, “we’re doing our duty and preparing for the future. If he doesn’t like that answer send him directly to me, and he’s not going to like it if he tries to through his weight around me.â€

The light in the ceiling of the garage flickered again. The first couple of times the people inside looked up in confusion. After about twenty they pretty much ignored it. Although their boss mumbled something that sounded like, “Put a base on the moon but they can’t keep the power from going on the fritz.†Ken would occasionally glance up when it happened. As long as he worked here couldn’t remember the light flickering this bad. As it was he was trying very hard not to get paranoid about the situation seeing what he’s seen lately. But he was trying to take some comfort in the fact Dax wasn’t reacting to anything.

A grouped of them had headed out for a lunch run and had come back saying, “This is going on all over town. Everything is going nuts, even the traffic lights.â€

“That’s what happens when you get too fancy,†Jeff said. “Once things get too complicated it takes nothing to take it out. No, give an old engine and I know it’s going to take something big to take it out.â€

“Those old engines used to be new engines you know,†their boss said from his office. “And there were guys back then who said the same thing about them. Progress happens, you got to learn to go with the flow.â€

“Like Ken,†he spat.

“No not like Ken. You’re a smart guy Jeff, maybe a little too proud for your own good but you’re smart. One of these days you’re going to realize that and learn to work on the newer models.â€

“I know all I need to know,†Jeff protested. “In fact I’ll bet you anything that this car right here will start as soon as I turn the key.†While Jeff continued boasting he didn’t see Rose and pull a wire slightly and sneak away as he asked for the keys. Looking sure of himself he jumped in the driver’s seat and turned the key. The engine started to whir, then sputtered before dying out completely. Jeff got out and looked at the engine before setting his sights right on Ken, “What in the hell did you do?â€

“I’m all the way over here,†Ken said proclaiming his innocence.

“Jeff figure it out,†the boss told him, He looked at Rose then shook his head, but didn’t saying to out here either.â€When did I start babysitting again?â€, he muttered as he closed the door to the office.

Jeff started fighting back when some of the others started ragging on him. Rose came toward him smiling. “That was so wrong,†he told her, “funny as hell, but so very wrong.â€

“He’s always giving you a hard time,†she said, “It’s about time somebody gave him a taste of his own medicine. Especially since you won’t.â€

“If I didn’t know better I’d swear you were into me or something.â€

“I think my husband would have a little something to say about that.â€

“That’s why I know better.†While they shared a small chuckle the lights started flickering again. Even the radio started acting weird. While Jeff started banging on that to get it to work right Ken wondered out loud,†What is going on?â€

In the five years the UNDF has been in existence they had received more than their fair share of phone call and complaints. Usually about the noise or the occasional UFO sighting, of course now giant monster sightings were popping up in that middle of that particular racket made things interesting. Seeing how long the creatures had been showing up most of it’s members were surprised it hadn’t happen sooner. Sill nobody expected the calls they had been getting on the hotline. At a board meeting with the commanders of Alpha and Beta teams present Richardson pinched the bridge of his nose before he exploded with, “Could somebody tell these people we are not the power company!â€

“People are getting jumpy Harold,†Brooks said. “After everything that’s been happening lately they’re looking for answers.â€

“They should look elsewhere,†a strict looking man said. The commander of Beta team, Jamira, crossed his arms and looked annoyed. “We have more important things to worry about than flickering lights and blackouts.â€

“True but we’re getting calls from the power companies as well,†one of the board members spoke up. “They don’t know what’s causing these fluctuations either.â€

Looking at the board Hawk spoke up, “Based on the calls from the electric company I had Bridge look into it.â€

“Did he find anything Captain?â€, Brooks asked while leaning forward a bit.

“He found something he can’t quite explain yet.†Taking a control off the table and pointing it at the wall a map of the surrounding area appeared. “As you know the power plant is located right here,†he pointed the location on the map, “and it supplies power to ninety percent of the city as well as a couple of neighboring cities.â€

Another board member asked, “Have there been complaints of power fluctuations from those cities as well Captain?â€

“Yes there has, people from those cities and towns has called us as well.â€

“Can’t anybody do anything for themselves?â€, Jamira grumbled.

“That will be enough Commander,†Richardson scowled. Beside him Brooks motioned for Hawk to continue.

“Bridge didn’t see anything at first, then he looked at the electrical grids themselves.†Pointing the control at the wall again a grid appeared on the map. Blue lines seemed to flow to where Hawk pointed out as the location of the power plant. “From the look of things this station is occasionally pulling energy in instead of putting it out.â€

With some mild interest Brooks asked, “Have you been able to determine why it’s doing this? Or who depending on the situation.â€

“Not as of yet. Bridge contacted the stations managers and they were in the dark as much as we are.â€

“A likely story,†Jamira grumbled as he left the room.

“As brash as he is Commander Jamira is right,†Richardson said after he left. “They could be trying to cover their tracks. But this is a matter for the local authorities not us. Send what we have to them Captain.â€

“Wait a moment Harold,†Brooks spoke up. “We don’t know exactly what is causing this. With these monsters and giant appearing I’m worried this might be in the same vein. Perhaps it would be prudent to investigate little more closely.â€

“That might cause a panic,†another member said.

“Then a small inquiry if you will,†he amended. “Perhaps a couple of technicians, maybe Mr. Bridge as well since he discovered this little anomaly.â€

“I’m sure a couple of technicians would be more than enough to handle this,†Hawk quickly said.

“No Bridge discovered this he should finish it out,†Richardson said. “Besides it’ll be a good PR move, show we care about the little problems and such. In fact send Wade and Watanabe with him, in case somebody at the station is behind it. We might be able to scare him into making a mistake.â€

“I’ll tell them to get right on it,†Hawk saluted and left the room. Once outside he started rubbing his forehead, “I’d better tell Jess and Ryo to keep an eye in Bridge while I’m at it.â€

“Why me?â€, Bridge said mainly to himself but loud enough that everybody in the Scan Track heard him. Jess looked back from the passenger seat and gave him a sympathetic look. It was always hard to go outside your nitch in the scheme of things. Behinds the keyboards in the control room he was as confident as the rest of them. Get him out in the field… well let’s just say field work wasn’t exactly his strong point.

From behind the wheel Ryo tried to boost his confidence a little, “Think of it as your time to shine Nate.â€

“That’s easy for you to say flyboy,†Bridge grumbled. “Some of us don’t go looking for personal glory.â€

“Then think of it as a chance to get some sun,†he quipped.

“We don’t go looking for glory Nate,†Jess stepped in. “We’re just doing the jobs we’re assigned.â€

“I know,†Bridge said. “Sorry Ryo.â€

“It’s just nerves Nate,†he told him, “we all get them when we’re sent out.†Thinking it would be for the best to get things back on the mission at hand he went, “Are you getting a reading on that station yet?â€

Turning in his seat Bridge got a look at one of the sensor readouts on board, “Nothing yet, but it’s looking like the pull is getting stronger.â€

“We’ll find out for sure when we get there,†Ryo said as the power plant came into view. Stopping at the front gate Ryo flashed their identification although the guard was paying more attention to the cannons on the back.

“You’re not going to fire that thing are you?â€, he asked looking nervous.

“Only if you give us reason too,†Jess told him. Still unsure about the situation but knowing they were expected he let them through. Locating the main the main door they found a heavyset man waiting for them. Jess got out and greeted him, “Mr. Rowlings?â€

“Yes,†he answered. Leading them inside before they could introduce themselves he continued, “I hope you people are able to find something. I have customers threatening to call the police since this has been going on.â€

“That’s a tad much for some fluctuations,†Ryo commented.

“Normally I’d agree but these fluctuations are getting longer and weirder.â€

“Define weirder,†Jess told him.

“We’re starting to lose power,†Rowlings informed her. “I’m talking about the generators themselves here. We’ve run every test and diagnostic we have. We can’t find anything wrong.â€

“Interesting,†Ryo told him before looking at the tech with them. “Miller, Rodgers check out the generator and see if you can find something they missed.†With a slight motion of her hand Jess gestured toward Bridge. He was looking around like he didn’t know where to start. “Bridge, check out the computers in this place, maybe something wrong with the diagnostics systems.â€

“Right, there might be a glitch in the program that missing the real problem.†He had Rowlings direct him to their main computer room pretty much leaving Ryo and Jess in his dust.

They looked at each other and smiled as she said, “There’s the computer expert we know and love.â€

Thanks to his boss, and more than likely Rose as well, word got out about Ken reapplying to the UNDF. Jeff immediately started in on the whole, ‘you’re going to fail again’ ****. Then the other drowned him out and started wishing him luck. Somehow a celebratory dinner was planned behind his back, naturally at the diner, and sprung on him after Jeff left for the day. Ken was actually glad of that for all the wrong reasons, because the night was going to be pointless enough without Jeff laying on a guilt trip. Besides the others seemed to be enjoying themselves so he saw no point in ruining their moods.

One held up a glass in toast, “To the UNDF’s newest member.â€

When the others quickly joined in Ken figured it would be better to not let that get too far, “I haven’t gotten a letter saying either way yet.â€

“You got to have some faith in yourself Ken,†Rose told him with the other quickly echoing the sentiment. “You’ll get in this time, I’m sure of it.†Ken quickly changed the subject which the other went along with, thankfully. Before too long the party broke up and people started heading home for the night. Rose stood in the parking lot watching the sun hanging low in the sky as Ken walked up behind her. “I hope we didn’t annoy you too much.â€

“I had nothing else planned for the night. Speaking of which it looks like it’s going to be a nice one.†Looking behind them he saw the moon just start to come up over the skyline.

“Looks like a perfect night to be with a lover,†she said. “And I better go find mine,†Rose kissed him on the cheek, “I’ll see you later Ken.â€

“Now I know you’re trying to get your husband to kick my ass.â€

“You’re fast on your feet, you’ll be able to out run him,†she grinned as she got in her car. Ken waved goodbye as she pulled out and headed for his own when he paused mid step. He got that feeling again, Dax was getting something. This felt close, and big. And getting bigger. Remembering the last time he looked up but didn’t see a dark cloud in the sky, but it felt like this could have been right on top of him. Walking to the sidewalk he looked around trying to figure out what it could be. It felt like Dax was getting a direction this time around, and it felt like it was coming from same direction as the power plant.

“Looks like that quiet evening got scratched. Let’s check it out Dax.â€

Ryo and Jess patrolled the power station as neither of them seen anything that looked out of place. The techs they brought with them said the generators were normal as far as they could see. Of course they wanted to get inside the generators themselves for a more thorough check. Neither of them thought that was going to fly with the higher ups around here. “I’m going to check with Bridge.†Jess nodded as he went down the hall to the computer room. Ryo found him at one station with a computer of his own nearby looking like normal. “How are things on your end Bridge?â€

“Frustrating,†he answered, “this systems and computers are a couple of generations old at least. But everything coming up green on both machines. Hell if I know what’s going on.â€

“Maybe we’re looking at his the wrong way,†Ryo suggested. “If somebody is behind these fluctuations it wouldn’t be in plain sight. Does this place have a basement or something?â€

“I pulled up a complete set of plans before we left,†Bridge informed him. “I even got a deep san of the area underground. There’s nothing under the ground here except for some caverns.â€

Ryo looked at Bridge the moment he said that. Bridge quickly figured out what he was thinking. Both of them grinned as they said, “Caverns.â€

Bridge turned his attention to the computer he brought with him and looked up any geological surveys to locate an opening they could use. Ryo activated the communicator on his uniform jacket, “Jess, me and Bridge might have found a lead. We’re going to check it out. Keep an eye on things here to see if anybody reacts while we do.â€

“I’ll inform Miller and Rodgers. I’m going to need the extra sets of eyes, Wade out.â€

“I got a way in,†Bridge announced as he downloaded the map to his wrist scanner. “The opening’s about a half mile away.â€

“Take the lead Nate.†Leaving the plant and heading west they located the passage to the underground cavern. Bridge pulled up any known surveys of the cavern while Ryo pulled out a small flashlight out of pocket to light the way. Bridge would tell him where to go, although every so often Ryo would gently urge him for a direction when he got too quiet. “How long until we’re by the station?â€

“We should be close,†Bridge told him. “Nobody surveyed this place in years and didn’t do a very…,†he trailed off as Ryo took the light off the path. “What is that?â€

Ryo looked and saw a soft blue glow ahead of them, “Let’s find out.†Pulling his gun he quickly turned the corner and pointed it at the source. Bridge caught up to see a wall of blue glowing rock in front of them. “I’m guessing this wasn’t on any of those surveys.â€

“What is this?â€, Bridge walked forward and tried to run a scan. The wall started glowing brighter and he noticed that his scanner started losing power. “I think this rock is draining electricity from the surrounding area.â€

“That’s a hell of a leap there Bridge.â€

“It’s either that or the battery is going on the fritz.â€

“This thing can’t be natural,†Ryo said. “That plant’s been here for how many years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.â€

“Or it’s been inert all this time and it absorbed enough energy from the area it become active. I’m going to try to take a sample to study.†Bridge checked himself and the area to do just that. Ryo coughed and pointed at his gun. Bridge messed with the settings so he could blast a small chunk off. He went to pick it up and jumped back as the piece crawled back into the wall as it glowed brighter. “That’s not right.â€

“I think we’re going to need a little more than us,†Ryo aid looking at the wall. “Let’s get topside and contact Castle. Starting to exit they stopped when they heard a low rumble. Bridge naturally looked up at the rock above them seeing a bit of dust come down on top of them. A voice in the back of his head that had been honed in combat made Ryo look back at the wall behind them. The rock seemed to shift revealing a single glowing red eye. “Run!â€, he grabbed Bridge by the uniform and dragged him out of there as the cavern started shaking harder. The ceiling started coming down around them. Ryo had to stop and go back for Bridge as a boulder knocked him to the ground. “Come on,†he grunted as he helped him up.

“I can’t feel my fingers,†he said as he clutched his arm but he continued running. Reaching the cavern’s entrance Ryo kept them running as he looked back. He watched as that single red eye emerged as a head with a single horn on the side came from the ground and kept going up. A monster made up of that blue rock stood damn close to the power station and roared before heading deeper into the city.

“Ryo! Nate!â€, Jess called out over the communicator. “Where the hell are you two! Talk to me!â€

“We’re here Jess,†Ryo answered. “Bridge might have a broken arm, other than that we’re fine. What’s your status?â€

“Outside of a giant rock monster nearly ripping down the wall we’re great,†she answered. “We’re evacuating the plant now, I’ll have Rodgers pick you guys up.â€

“Contact Castle and inform them of what’s going on.â€

“I think they’re already aware Ryo.†He silently agreed as he watched the monster use an ax like arm to smash a building.

Ken went as far as he could with the traffic. Then he and several others saw the rock creature head in their direction. Everybody who could jumped out of their cars and ran away as fast as they could. Ken got out too but he wasn’t going with the crowd. He struggled to get through the mass of panicking people as he tried to get closer but he was getting pulled back. He knew he had to let Daxium out to fight that thing but it was too crowded. Seeing a park he broke through the crowd and ran for it. Seeing nobody else around and plenty of room he held the Spark Magnifier over his head. In a flash Ken was gone and Daxium was ready, “Shiah!â€

Arnagarage turned to face him as Daxium came toward him. Swinging his ax arm avoided the blow and countered with a punch of his own. The rock monster barely reacted to the blow and swung the stone “blade†again. Daxium jumped backwards to avoid it. Flipping in the air and landing on his feet he let a bolt fly. It exploded off the rock monster’s hide but it reacted like it was in pain this time. Daxium ran in and kicked it in the chest. It tried the ax again but this time Daxium caught it. As he struggled with the arm he left himself open to a clubbing blow to the back.

Grunting in pain Daxium held on to the ax as more blows came at his back. Arnagarge was finally able to fling him off making the giant crash into a building. Daxium got off the building in time for that ax to smash into his chest. Spark like explosion came off of him as he fell to the ground. Quickly getting to a knee he started punching at the monster’s gut. Seeing the ax come at him again he rolled backwards a couple of times before getting to his feet and jump into the air. A kick to the head knocked that horn like piece of off his head. Daxium thought he was starting to make some headway when he noticed the creature started glowing. Looking around as the lights around them started flickering he saw that piece get absorbed back into the creatures body, reemerging on the other side of it’s head.

He was stunned for a second too long as the monster kicked him in the gut. Staggering back another club like blow to the back of the head forcing him to the ground. Arnagarge picked him up and slashed him with the ax again. Daxium fell to his back hard and the monster stomped on his chest a few times. Struggling to get up the rock creature aimed the ax at his neck, ready to finish this battle once and for all. Explosion on it’s hide distracted the creatures as Razor Wings flew past. Daxium’s crystal started blinking red as he stood up. From the ground a lone Scan Track Jess, Ryo and Bridge in particular watched as the giant slammed his forearms together and held them out in a strong like pose. Again the line appeared on his body and expanded out, this time turning his body red while those marking became silver.

“I knew it,†Bridge grunted.

Arnagarge saw Daxium came at him again and swung the ax again. Daxium blocked it easily and punched him. The rock creature took a couple of steps back from the impact and the giant pressed his advantage assaulting him with kick and punches. Grabbing Arnagarge by the head he flipped him to the ground with a might crash. The monster wailed away with his ax as it tried to get up forcing Daxium back. Once on it’s feet it staggered backward a bit before starting to glow blue again it began drawing in electricity again. Holding his right fist next to the jewel Daxium started to draw in energy himself. That energy focused into his right hand as he drew it back and slammed it on the ground. An energy wave ripped through the street in front of him growing in height until it bisected Arnagarge.

The wave disappeared son after as the monster stood there with a glowing line going down itâ€rock on the edges seemed to try ad reach out and knit itself back together but the two halves started to fall away right before he exploded. Daxium stayed around just long enough to make sure the monster wasn’t going to reform before taking off into the air, “Shiah!â€

Hawk and Bill were waiting in the garage when their Scan Track pulled in. Bridge had a temporary cast on his arm as Ryo and Jess helped him out. He took one look at Hawk and said, “I am never leaving base again.â€

“Sure you will,†Hawk told him. “You had an experience today, learn from it. You’ll be better man for it. Now get a proper cast on that arm, I want you at one hundred percent as soon as possible.â€

“Yes sir,†he said while Jess and Bill accompanied him.

“Look at it this way,†Bill said, “you got a war wound now. Trust me chicks dig battle scars.â€

“Now there’s a myth,†Jess snorted.

Turning to Ryo Hawk said, “I know the mission pretty much complete but there’s still a couple of unanswered questions.â€

“Like how long that monster has been there,†Ryo said.

Hawk nodded while adding one of his own, “And exactly how did Ultraman get there so fast.â€

Hours later Dr, Williams was sitting at a row of monitors looking over the security cam footage from the city, specifically the footage from before and after Ultraman’s fight with the monster. Richardson was still hot on finding out who the giant had bonded with. Patricia was in here for a while helping him but Richardson had some sort of engagement so he was stuck by himself. Reaching for the coffee pot and pouring himself a cup he took a drink and nearly burnt his tongue, “Hot hot hot.†Waving his hands to cool off his tongue he looked at a screen just in time to see something flash behind a parked van and a guy walk out holding his chest. He replayed it a couple of times, there was definitely a flash and that guy seemed to come out of nowhere. Getting a close up of his face as he looked around while placing something into his jacket Williams paused the footage and mumbled, “I think I gotcha.â€

-----
-----

Professionally Insane
Arnagarge nearly put Dax into a corner, and his finishing move this time was pretty neat, and unique. I like it. I hope these two modes come in handy down the road for him.

I also liked the interaction between Rose and Ken this episode, it was really well written. Maybe there will be a possible love triangle of a sorts, or just a strong friendship there. Time will tell, right? =3

Bridge's first field mission of his own and comes back with a broken arm. It could have been worse. At least he still has his life.

Now they believe they have Ultraman's identity... this is gonna be interesting to see how things play out from here on in.