Everything is irrelevant after Ultimatum. This is more of a feel for what the universe did at it's best. I haven't seen many newer story lines that work out too well for me. But the universe itself is fairly small all things considered so he could read a lot of it without too much time investment.
He could just as easily start on the new ultimate comics coming out too with the re-numberings.

Hmmm....thanks for the suggestions. I dunno if I actually will try it, though. I want to give Marvel a chance. It's been in business for a long time and I can only imagine that's because it's either doing SOMETHING right, or they have incredibly tenacious fans. The movies have been good so far. (excluding the X-Men ones after the first and any spinoffs of those)

But at the same time when I look at the Marvel side of my local comic-book store...I just see very little that grabs my attention. If anything at all.

Honestly I feel nothing for this, but to be fair I never cared much for the Ultimate Universe in the first place. The problem with the Ultimate Universe is that is a cynical and frankly sometimes bitter take on superhero comics. And this new batch of writers isn't going to help that. I know this is probably not going to be a popular opinion but this latest crop of former indie writers need to stay away from superheroes. These "realistic" takes on characters need to stop it isn't leading anywhere. You are writing stories about people with amazing powers that fight one another in colorful costumes, go with that and play to your strengths.

Ultimate comics generally do away with the colorful costumes.

This just isn't Marvel either. I mean no matter what you think about Action Comics #900 that certain short story didn't really do much to celebrate the character or his history much. I am not saying that comics shouldn't tackle heavy issues or engage in social commentary, but just don't make that your only focus. I mean how great would have been to see Mxyzptlk again. All I am saying let's stop fooling ourselves with what we are writing/reading, it is all rather silly.
You act as if that is all there is to superhero comics. That story you mention in Action #900 was a small short story out of an entire book. Occasionally, comics do deal with things that would happen in our world.

For every title like Ultimates, there's a Thor: The Mighty Avenger. For every Moon Knight, there's a Marvel Adventure Spider-Man. Avengers Academy. Annihilators. FF. Incredible Hulks. Skaar.

detail.jpg
Yes, that's a dinosaur, a monkey, a cowboy, a Hulk, and Ka-Zar.

Well, unfortunately I think it's more of a pride issue, or to be more accurate lack thereof. To these new writers it's probably a different story to say that they work on some dark, edgy, piece of material that they can and do make political points and whatnot in it, and generally they can be pretentious and whatnot.

Let's face it: if you wrote for Marvel, and you met, say...I dunno...some old high school classmate who'd never really been a geek or anything and is basically a respectable normal person, and they ask you what you do for a living and you say you write comic books? Well, I'd imagine there'd probably be a moment of blank stare and a 'uh...that's....nice, I guess.' All that while you could practically hear the questions or criticism going on in their head. There's just a stigma attached to anything seen as juvenile like comics. It's sort of the reason why they 'grew up' in the first place. So older and adult readers (who have more income to throw away on such things) don't have to feel embarrassed so much.

I think it's also an issue of what I like to call 'the fingerpaint dilemma'. Remember when you were like....five and you were smearing fingerpaints on a sheet of paper and smeared white with black and were so shocked that you got grey that you forgot all about the white and black bits? Yeah. Same concept here I think. The first bits of grey, gritty drama that we got were so alluring that noone stopped to think it might be best used in moderation.

It's not a pride issue. Marvel hired these guys based on their indie work. Hickman previously did two creator-owned series that got him attention in the comic world.

Pax Romana - A tale involving the military, time travel, and the Roman Empire.
Pax_Romana_01.jpg

The Nightly News - a story involving the news media and how it gets wrapped up in a story about a cult.
Nightly%20News.jpg

Nick Spencer did Existence 2.0 and 3.0 for Image.
existence-20.jpg

He hit big with Morning Glories, a series about young kids at a sinister prep school.
Mgpromo.jpg

Spencer also did the Action Comics Jimmy Olson backup, involving 5th dimension shenanigans.
Jimmy_Olsen_Cvr1.jpg

These gentlemen aren't trying to prove something. They already did. They found success and Marvel hired them to bring their specific vision to certain titles. Hickman on FF, Secret Warriors, and SHIELD. Spencer of Iron Man 2.0 and Secret Avengers. These are deliberate choices on the part of editors and creators.

Already reading FF and it's...not so bad. I demand more Doom vs. Valeria amusement!
Then you're already reading Hickman's work. Do you feel all dark and edgy?

Also I'd like to mention it seems that the government really is hunting all mutants genetic or otherwise just by seeing how the torch is part of the X-men in the newer comics. I have to say this makes a bit more sense then 616's "mutants are hated but superhumans aren't all that hated".

Honestly I feel nothing for this, but to be fair I never cared much for the Ultimate Universe in the first place. The problem with the Ultimate Universe is that is a cynical and frankly sometimes bitter take on superhero comics. And this new batch of writers isn't going to help that. I know this is probably not going to be a popular opinion but this latest crop of former indie writers need to stay away from superheroes. These "realistic" takes on characters need to stop it isn't leading anywhere. You are writing stories about people with amazing powers that fight one another in colorful costumes, go with that and play to your strengths.

This just isn't Marvel either. I mean no matter what you think about Action Comics #900 that certain short story didn't really do much to celebrate the character or his history much. I am not saying that comics shouldn't tackle heavy issues or engage in social commentary, but just don't make that your only focus. I mean how great would have been to see Mxyzptlk again. All I am saying let's stop fooling ourselves with what we are writing/reading, it is all rather silly.

Superman started as an agent of social change. In fact, all those super sci-fi adventures were attempts to match up with Captain Marvel (who outsold Big Blue) and bowlderise the character after SotI was released in the 50's.

Let's face it: if you wrote for Marvel, and you met, say...I dunno...some old high school classmate who'd never really been a geek or anything and is basically a respectable normal person, and they ask you what you do for a living and you say you write comic books? Well, I'd imagine there'd probably be a moment of blank stare and a 'uh...that's....nice, I guess.' All that while you could practically hear the questions or criticism going on in their head. There's just a stigma attached to anything seen as juvenile like comics. It's sort of the reason why they 'grew up' in the first place. So older and adult readers (who have more income to throw away on such things) don't have to feel embarrassed so much.

People like that shouldn't be writing for Marvel OR DC. When you write for Marvel doing Iron Man, and someone asks what you do, you look them dead in the eye, smile and you tell them: "I write Iron Man", like it's the coolest job in the world. Because it really is. And unless they invented something popular or cured a disease, their job doesn't match up to mine.

That, combined with the fact that it's not nearly so embarassing to be reading or creating some dark, edgy, politically or socially commenting 'Graphic Novel' over a bright and colorful 'comic book', means I'd say the trend won't ever completely die out.

They once introduced Neil Gaiman as writer of "graphic novels". Dude took the stage and corrected them: "I write comic books." Neil doesn't even WRITE comics that often and he took pride in admitting this.

I do feel like I've gone to the dark side a bit, yes. Not enough to merit a Sith costume, but eh.

Either way, thanks to everyone for the updated info and/or corrections. I actually did read Secret Warriors early on, and I wanted to continue, but for some reason I just...fell out of it. I vaguely wondered why FF felt...familiar somehow.

Speak of Secret Warriors, is a trade out for that now or what's going on with it? last issue I saw was...I think number 22 or 23. I wouldn't mind getting back into it (especially if there's more back and forth between Fury and Phobos. "You're playing online...there's no internet connections in this room." "yeah, that seemed kind of wrong so I fixed it." ".....anything ELSE need fixing?!" "Yeah. We're out of Pop Tarts.")

Also, since I'm horribly behind, wasn't Ultimate universe supposed to go poof anyway to make way for the Noirverse? or did the latter just fall so hard that we're supposed to forget it existed?

Either way, thanks to everyone for the updated info and/or corrections. I actually did read Secret Warriors early on, and I wanted to continue, but for some reason I just...fell out of it. I vaguely wondered why FF felt...familiar somehow.

Speak of Secret Warriors, is a trade out for that now or what's going on with it? last issue I saw was...I think number 22 or 23. I wouldn't mind getting back into it (especially if there's more back and forth between Fury and Phobos. "You're playing online...there's no internet connections in this room." "yeah, that seemed kind of wrong so I fixed it." ".....anything ELSE need fixing?!" "Yeah. We're out of Pop Tarts.")
Secret Warriors will be ending with issue 28. Hickman says he's done with the story.

Also, since I'm horribly behind, wasn't Ultimate universe supposed to go poof anyway to make way for the Noirverse? or did the latter just fall so hard that we're supposed to forget it existed?

Doubtful. It seems that Marvel has decided that the biggest problem with the Ultimate line was that it was 616 with some tweaks. So, Ultimatum cleared the board of some of the biggest players. And now they seem to have a focused idea of where they're going with the entire line as a whole. Bendis/Hickman/Spencer now own the whole thing.

But Ultimate Spider-Man is and has remained the best book Marvel puts on the stands. I hope the Bendis doesn't ruin it with the change.

The moment they released a noir version of a character that's already noir? That universe became stupid. And nothing from it could ever replace the popularity of USM.

Well look like they're finally trying to not be 616-lite which is good:
1305667139567.jpg

Since all super humans are actually equally disliked in the ultimate universe I am okay with the torch being here.
1305667196512.jpg

Is this undercover Peter Parker, Jessica Drew, or someone else? We'll know soon enough.
1305667251799.jpg

Hawkeye is...unLoebed now and yes I just made that word up
1305667294754.jpg

The Ultimates look more like their movie counter parts now which is the norm for this universe.
Well the titles look promising we'll see though.