Lurker
Following "Death of Spider-Man" and "Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates", there will be a weekly series called "Ultimate Fall-Out" followed then by the lauch of the new Spider-Man and "Ultimate Comics Ultimates" by FF scriber Johnathan Hickman. This new Ultimates group will consist of new and existing characters, including Nick Fury, Bruce Banner, and Peter Parker's female clone Jessica Drew

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32136

Honestly I feel nothing for this, but to be fair I never cared much for the Ultimate Universe in the first place. The problem with the Ultimate Universe is that is a cynical and frankly sometimes bitter take on superhero comics. And this new batch of writers isn't going to help that. I know this is probably not going to be a popular opinion but this latest crop of former indie writers need to stay away from superheroes. These "realistic" takes on characters need to stop it isn't leading anywhere. You are writing stories about people with amazing powers that fight one another in colorful costumes, go with that and play to your strengths.

This just isn't Marvel either. I mean no matter what you think about Action Comics #900 that certain short story didn't really do much to celebrate the character or his history much. I am not saying that comics shouldn't tackle heavy issues or engage in social commentary, but just don't make that your only focus. I mean how great would have been to see Mxyzptlk again. All I am saying let's stop fooling ourselves with what we are writing/reading, it is all rather silly.

I'm alright with using a direction like this in a different universe.

Lurker
More news: Nick Spencer has been assigned to Ultimate Comics: X-Men. The team will consist of Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Johnny Storm, Bobby Drake, Rouge and a few new characters

More news: Nick Spencer has been assigned to Ultimate Comics: X-Men. The team will consist of Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Johnny Storm, Bobby Drake, Rouge and a few new characters
I guess thats all they could salvage after xavier died and all the other X-Men died. This so far is one universe that doesn't endlessly bring back the dead.

Lurker
Gah, and Ultimate Spider-Man is relaunching AGAIN with it's third number one.

Honestly I feel nothing for this, but to be fair I never cared much for the Ultimate Universe in the first place. The problem with the Ultimate Universe is that is a cynical and frankly sometimes bitter take on superhero comics. And this new batch of writers isn't going to help that. I know this is probably not going to be a popular opinion but this latest crop of former indie writers need to stay away from superheroes. These "realistic" takes on characters need to stop it isn't leading anywhere. You are writing stories about people with amazing powers that fight one another in colorful costumes, go with that and play to your strengths.

This just isn't Marvel either. I mean no matter what you think about Action Comics #900 that certain short story didn't really do much to celebrate the character or his history much. I am not saying that comics shouldn't tackle heavy issues or engage in social commentary, but just don't make that your only focus. I mean how great would have been to see Mxyzptlk again. All I am saying let's stop fooling ourselves with what we are writing/reading, it is all rather silly.

Well, unfortunately I think it's more of a pride issue, or to be more accurate lack thereof. To these new writers it's probably a different story to say that they work on some dark, edgy, piece of material that they can and do make political points and whatnot in it, and generally they can be pretentious and whatnot.

Let's face it: if you wrote for Marvel, and you met, say...I dunno...some old high school classmate who'd never really been a geek or anything and is basically a respectable normal person, and they ask you what you do for a living and you say you write comic books? Well, I'd imagine there'd probably be a moment of blank stare and a 'uh...that's....nice, I guess.' All that while you could practically hear the questions or criticism going on in their head. There's just a stigma attached to anything seen as juvenile like comics. It's sort of the reason why they 'grew up' in the first place. So older and adult readers (who have more income to throw away on such things) don't have to feel embarrassed so much.

I think it's also an issue of what I like to call 'the fingerpaint dilemma'. Remember when you were like....five and you were smearing fingerpaints on a sheet of paper and smeared white with black and were so shocked that you got grey that you forgot all about the white and black bits? Yeah. Same concept here I think. The first bits of grey, gritty drama that we got were so alluring that noone stopped to think it might be best used in moderation.

That, combined with the fact that it's not nearly so embarassing to be reading or creating some dark, edgy, politically or socially commenting 'Graphic Novel' over a bright and colorful 'comic book', means I'd say the trend won't ever completely die out.

As far as the Ultimate Universe goes, this...actually sounds like an auspicious time for me to have a look at it since it's rebooting. I'm not sure that I like this whole thing since I recall the persistent rumors that they were going to simply stop publishing Ultimate, but eh. Anyone got any suggestions for what I should start with on this or when? I doubt I'll read it consistently, but I'd like to take a dive in so I know what it's like on that side of the Marvel/DC fence. Already reading FF and it's...not so bad. I demand more Doom vs. Valeria amusement!

If you want to dive into the ultimate universe I do actually suggest Ultimates 1 and 2. It's short and simple and sorta gives you an idea of whats going on in this universe. This is before Ultimatum and while people may not like GRIMDARK marvel I think the premise for these two books came out okay.

If you want to dive into the ultimate universe I do actually suggest Ultimates 1 and 2. It's short and simple and sorta gives you an idea of whats going on in this universe. This is before Ultimatum and while people may not like GRIMDARK marvel I think the premise for these two books came out okay.
Honestly if he is interested in starting to follow Ultimate Comics than the Ultimates is for lack of better work irrelevant, heck the same goes for everything else if I am getting the right impression from these articles.