I got Shaider in the mail yesterday and watched the first episode today. The video quality of this show is amazing and this just might be the first 80's show I can get into. Even more incredible is that the subs are.....GOOD. The only problem is that they've got the evil, evil "yellow" subs. Everything else is great. Whoever subbed this should do all bootleg Toku from now on. And Sawamura Dai is awesome. He looks totally able to take on the Fuuma, from what I can see. :buttrock: Some thoughts:

-Who was the kid that Dai saved? It seemed like he knew him, but we've never seen him before--this is the first episode after all.

-Who was the group of girls introduced in the lair of the Fuuma? I just labeled them Hot Girl 1, 2, 3, etc...but I know they have names.

-Does Annie henshin, or is she just for support?

-What is up with "Strange Space"? :laugh: :laugh:

That's it for now. Man, I know I should've finished Kuuga before watching this, but I just HAD to test it out.

Eye See You
I saw a few eps last year and I believe Annie is just there for support and panty shots. :169:

Great Sage-Equal of Heaven
Annie doesn't transform but she's badass in her own right in addition to being the resident hottie.

Wow that takes me back, Shaider is by far my second favorite Space Sheriff next to Gavan (Sorry Sharivan, you had one Time Slip too many). He's got a hot assistant and his ship turns into a big friggin' gun that can take down warships. How much more awesome can you get? :p

Reason no 3 why I want the Uchu Keiji Tamashii game now.

Prism Flash!
At least Den Iga got to team up with Gavan which I thought was pretty cool.

Strange Space? -- Is that the other dimension stuff? If it is, you'll get to see it in almost all episodes, just like Gavan and Sharivan. The idea of it is just to escape from the real world and to make the MOTW a few times stronger in the bad guy's dimension. This formula is used over and over and over again, since the days of Gavan.

I'd just like to say that Babilos's Shooting Formation is great! :buttrock:

The Strange Space (aka Time Space Warp in the dub) is where the monsters of Fuuma have an advantage. As I recall correctly, the monsters of Fuuma are ten time stronger when they battle there.

I really like Uchuu Keiji Shaider as a series and Dai Sawamura (Alexis) as a character. Granted that the concept was recycled, Tsuburaya became one of my childhood heroes (along with Sakamoto and Kaizu) through this series .

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
I've seen the dub version when I was younger. I now own the subbed version of the series (thanks eBay). :thumbs:

Sage Shinigami said:
-Who was the kid that Dai saved? It seemed like he knew him, but we've never seen him before--this is the first episode after all.
Just some random kid.

Sage Shinigami said:
-Who was the group of girls introduced in the lair of the Fuuma? I just labeled them Hot Girl 1, 2, 3, etc...but I know they have names.
They're the "Gyaru Gang" ("Gyaru" is basically the way Japanese pronounce the english word "Girl") . Sorta like the monsters of the week, only they stick around for the whole series. You're actually not that far off in the way you've named them. Their actual character names are "Gyaru 1", "Gyaru 2", "Gyaru 3", "Gyaru 4", and "Gyaru 5". :laugh: I swear I'm not kidding!

Sage Shinigami said:
-Does Annie henshin, or is she just for support?
Annie has a little more power and is a bit more independant, than, say Mimi. Rather than say that she's there to support Shaider, I think of her more like his "deputy". He IS, after all, a "sheriff". As Kimiden said, she doesn't henshin. She DOES however, get her own car in the series, has her own weapon that she shoots baddies with, she fights, she does a couple undercover missions. She even has her own song on the OST! Annie's definitely more of a "partner" for Shaider, she holds her own fairly well. :thumbs:

Basri RX said:
At least Den Iga got to team up with Gavan which I thought was pretty cool.

I'd just like to say that Babilos's Shooting Formation is great! :buttrock:
Actually, after the end of Shaider there was a special "team up" episode that FEATURES ALL 3 OF THEM!!!:buttrock: I say "team up" in quotes because unlike your Super Sentai team ups, this one is more of a retrospective. Gavan, Sharivan, and Shaider each get their own little section where they look back and reflect on thier adventures battling their respective baddies. At the end, all three do their henshin "for the fans" (they actually say this). It makes for a great shot seeing all three of them in their suits at the same time.

Oh, and we get a couple of suprises from Gavan. :thumbs:

And it's actually VAVILOS. At least, that's what it says on the toy Vavilos that I've got. :buttrock:

Michael Joe Red Mask said:
The Strange Space (aka Time Space Warp in the dub) is where the monsters of Fuuma have an advantage. As I recall correctly, the monsters of Fuuma are ten time stronger when they battle there.
That is indeed correct. The Strange Space is the Shaider version of the "Devil Space" that they used in Gavan. Shaider and the monster would get sucked in, Shaider would call for Blue Hawk (like Gavan called for Saibarian), they'd fight in weird locations, then Shaider whips the sword/laser blade and kicks some monster ass. :buttrock:

Michael Joe Red Mask said:
I really like Uchuu Keiji Shaider as a series and Dai Sawamura (Alexis) as a character. Granted that the concept was recycled, Tsuburaya became one of my childhood heroes (along with Sakamoto and Kaizu) through this series.
I remember being first exposed to Shaider back in 1988 when I was 11. My family was visiting our relatives back in The Philippines and my cousins and I were actually able to catch the debut of the series! We were all freaking out when Shaider began speaking in Tagalog! :anime:

Eye See You
JFC said:
That is indeed correct. The Strange Space is the Shaider version of the "Devil Space" that they used in Gavan. Shaider and the monster would get sucked in

What I liked about Spielban is that it was him that would do the dimensional thing, he'd be the one to suck the villians in. I guess to writers finally decided the fans got bored of always seeing the Hero at the disadvantage.

Prism Flash!
JFC said:
Actually, after the end of Shaider there was a special "team up" episode that FEATURES ALL 3 OF THEM!!!:buttrock: I say "team up" in quotes because unlike your Super Sentai team ups, this one is more of a retrospective.

I think that special team-up was great, only because we get to see the three Sheriffs face to face. Other than that, yeah, more of a retrospective, just reusing old footages which was quite bland. We can just take out those recycled footages and we're left with a 5-10 minute special team-up. :laugh: The Jouchaku/Sekisha/Shouketsu scene at the end was awesome, though.

Forever Knight said:
What I liked about Spielban is that it was him that would do the dimensional thing, he'd be the one to suck the villians in. I guess to writers finally decided the fans got bored of always seeing the Hero at the disadvantage.

Too bad the Space Sheriffs never thought of that, even until their third hero. Maybe at that time, Kom didn't think that having their own dimensional buttons on the hero's suit will be an advantage. :laugh:

There's one familiar scene/pose that Spielban did which was also done in Shaider. I've always thought Spielban holding that huge cannon to blast off the baddies was like Shaider holding the huge hologram of Babilos's Shooting Formation.

Eye See You
I'm starting the subbed series up tomorrow night. Just wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find an episode title guide?.

Thanks.