At last I've gotten around to watch this:

-Are real Japanese space shuttles launched on the top of rockets, or is that just in movies and TV?

- Geki and Tooya are just 26 when they go on a deep-space mission? The American astronauts of the 1960s were older.

- Geki's rescue by Retsu (Oba Kenji Gavan) feels Ultraman-esque.

- So that crazy UFO guy Oyama created his own laboratory? That's unexpected.

- Shelley's "disguise" screams AkibaYellow >.<

- Amanogawa?? Did Gamou align with the Makuu? >>

- Geki bringing Itsuki into DolGiran reminds me of Superman bringing Lois Lane flying with him in the first movie.

- How would creating a wormhole revive Don Horror? A wormhole to his ghost or soul?

- Is it a prerequisite that all of Gavan's deputies be able to turn into canaries?

- Itsuki learns alien tech fast.

- That cat Itsuki rescues looks awfully like my friend's cat. Just not as fat.

- So the Makuu have gone from grunts with basketball heads and leather jackets... to ordinary ninjas?

- Oba Kenji's arrival feels pretty random. No build up or anything. On the other hand, his formal introduction inside DolGiran kind of reminded me of an old Bruce Wayne after so many years playing superhero. He’s aged and somewhat tired, but can still put up a good fight like the ol’ days and show his successor how it’s done.

- So did Geki know Tooya had become Brighton? (By the way, I kind of thought he'd be the new Hunter Killer character.)

- Is that Don Horror's original voice actor?

- The gag with the peace sign in Makuu Space was funny.

- Tooya’s death scene is reminiscent of Harry Osbourne’s in Spiderman 3.

- I’ve just noticed the name “Gavan Type G†isn’t mentioned once.

Overall I think this movie is alright. For an anniversary commemoration, it doesn’t really have a “grand feel†like it should, instead more like an extended episode or a TV special. Geki as a character and his relationship with Tooya and Itsuki isn’t well established or defined, but I did like the theme of him continually failing because of his internal demons, until Retsu finally (and literally) slaps some sense into him. Other than that, the action is good, the music is good and the nostalgia is fun. (Would’ve been nice to see the Avalon Riding Club again though, or at least a mention of it.) It’s certainly better than Kamen Rider THE FIRST and THE NEXT in that it remains focused on the main plot and characters rather than getting sidetracked by minutia. (I suppose we can thank the lack of any Inoue involvement for that.)