Uchū Sentai Kyuranger, Space 01: "The Greatest Superstars in the Universe"

S

scikaiju

I finally watched the first episode subbed and it was still enjoyable, but I'm really not sold on the red ranger right now. He reminds me way too much of Daigo. I'm really liking the green, yellow, and black rangers though. I also get a kick out of how much blacky (don't have their names memorized yet) shrinks down when he transforms. He seems like he would be a lot more imposing not in his ranger suit. Grr's ranger suit looks pretty awesome and is it just the lighting or does it have fur on it? Not a fan of the shark nose on yellow's helmet though.

The mech is okay, but at least it isn't a giant square. I do like individual cockpits.

Lastly, I'm getting a very sith vibe from Jark Matter. The emperor is so a Sith Lord.

I noticed Blue's suit was a little furry too.

A couple of quick notes:

-I'm already annoyed by Red's "Lucky" exclamations and Yellow's cooking phrases, I hope they get toned down as the show goes on.
-I find it interesting Earth and a good chunk of the galaxy has already been conquered apparently so the heroes are fighting as a rebellion. I think I like that idea so far.
-I do like the space opera feel, granted I'm sure they'll be seeing a bunch of Earth like planets as the show goes along because bugetary reasons. But if the have their own "Planet Hell" shooting stage, ala Next Generation, then hopefully they can get a little creative with it.
- On just a more curious note, given the size of the Voyagers compared to the cockpits is the main Mech one of the smallest so far? It seems lie it be on the short side compared to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Lucky doesn't take a chill pill by Episode 5, I don't know if I can make it. The guy screams 90% of his lines and is basically Takaharu part 2. Hell, in this case, I think Takaharu was better since I don't think he yelled as much as Lucky in the first episode.

Honestly, Lucky is probably the only problem I have with this episode. Otherwise, I liked it.

Captain
I would much rather deal with Spada's cooking phrases 100x over than listen to Lucky's exclamations lolz.

Seriously, all three of the humans we've seen so far really are weak. They're just so one-dimensional. Lucky is, well, lucky. Spada really likes cooking. Hammy thinks everything's hilarious. I get that it's the first episode so we need to get a feel for their characters, but this was absolute overkill.

R

raden238

Finally got around watching the first episode of the 41st Sentai and I like it. It has its very own unique vibe, that other Sentais don't have. I really like the idea of having all if not 90% of the series taking place in space and other fictional planets outside of Earth. I always thought it would be cool to have a Toku show not dealing with some crazy evil organization trying to rule/destroy the Earth. I won't hold my breath because they could easily just have the first few episodes being space exploration and then they just protect Earth all the way through till the end.

The suit designs are great, love the glossy finish to the Rangers' visors. The Seiza blaster is pretty cool too and the Mecha fight was surprisingly awesome. The use of the Kyutama cockpit is awesome. I love Champ the Ox robot guy, hes just big ass Ranger rekting ****, its :laugh:. Garu aka the other Wolf Fangire's Ranger suit does have some furry styling to it. I love the extra details certain Rangers get. Its just them stand out even more than they already are.

The characters are not bad. I was prepared for Lucky's constant puns and usage of the word lucky but its nowhere near Takaharu-Right-Daigo annoying level YET. We'll see if they tone it down later on. The others are fine. The Chef and Hammy don't bother me. The Jark Matter footsoilders are very generic though. But the budget had to be taken out somewhere in order to make room for all the extra cgi and set designs. I'm getting a very Star Wars vibe with the big boss villain. Its great :laugh:.

Overall I am excited for whats to come, it could go downhill pretty quickly. But this Sentai was clearly made to be different. We're getting 11 Rangers by episode 15!!!! Having an entire Sentai taking place on other planets and outer space doesn't sound so farfetch. They could have the final battle or movies take place on Earth and thats it.

Final note, the episode itself was very rushed. It really felt like 3 episodes mashed into one. Lucky and Garu becoming Rangers could have spanned at least 2-4 episodes. Not need to rush a Sentai show when the obligatory filler will come later on! They could of took their time introducing all 9 rangers.

D

Dr Kain

I can't hate yellow's food stuff because I would then have to hate Sanji doing it in One Piece.

is Mayor of Farmville
LOL. Lucky is kind of annoying, yet at the same time I can imagine myself yelling "YOSHA LUCKY" XD

That said....It's been amazing so far. And out of all the chars so far...Raptor has been my fave.

I can't believe we have another shouty, weak acting red!
Hammy and Spada seems to have some kind of tragic back story.
Champ and Raptor (really, who decide a cute robot to be named Raptor?) are interesting

Some kind of Beast mode
I can't believe we have another shouty, weak acting red!
Hammy and Spada seems to have some kind of tragic back story.
Champ and Raptor (really, who decide a cute robot to be named Raptor?) are interesting

They're taking notes from NeoSaban's Red casting.

I hope Hammy has something juicy down the line.

I can't hate yellow's food stuff because I would then have to hate Sanji doing it in One Piece.

Yeah, but Sanji doesn't talk about food non-stop. He has character beyond that (he's a pervert, he's got a big dream to see All-Blue, he's full of himself).